Near Death Experience

Martin t

maybe the caliper hit the rim when the pad fell out, that would happen if it was setup close enough.

to the one above mine

It didnt... maybe i will have to make a vid about this to show everyone that cant figure out how hydraulic brakes work..

It didnt... maybe i will have to make a vid about this to show everyone that cant figure out how hydraulic brakes work..

are you gay or something?

this is what happens in trials, if it didnt scare me i wouldnt ride, deal with it

By making your thread title 'Near death experiance' you get people's hopes up, they expect to see something crazy, or at least read about something crazy.

On the otherhand what has happened to you isn't great, whoever said it wasn't the pads manufacturer's fault is wrong IMO. They choose to use that type of backing for a trials brake pad. the buck has to end at some point.

I'd like to have a look at your backing to see if there is any evidence of manufacturing defect's. These things are moulded in the thousands, I expect a certain percentage will have problem's. Is there any evidence of air in the plastic? that would obviously compromise it's strength in proportion to the size of the 'bubble'.

Why isn't anyone else on here interested in why this has happened rather than the fact that his title wasn't 100% bang on precise??

Oskar's comment kinda sums up my thoughts, never been to swebikes.fanny, but I know exactley what he's talking about...

are you gay or something?

this is what happens in trials, if it didnt scare me i wouldnt ride, deal with it

what's his sexuality got to do with his pad backing breaking?

This is not what happens in trials, if your statement is correct I have never rode trials.

HAHA for once ash is being nice to someone, and their having a go at him =]

I was thinkin the same thing (Y)

1: you pad must have been set up soo far away fot you pad to fall out with half the baking still on.

2: it was not a near death excperience you mean " could have been a near death excperience"

3: its nothing to do with rock pads they look fine to me.

4: im sure you can afford the 50p to buy a new backing

5: if you worried about it happening again HEAT SINK CNC BACKINGS

Im not having ago just saying :)

cheers conor.

Edited by koxx 20" 26" rider

1: you pad must have been set up soo far away fot you pad to fall out with half the baking still on.

2: it was not a near death excperience you mean " could have been a near death excperience"

cheers conor.

Not in the slightest, the bit that broke off could slide out with the brake still jammed on given enough force.

cheers conor.

not again....

If you look at the picture with your EYES and think with your BRAIN you can see it doesn't have to fall out it just slipped backwards cause there where no edges on that plastic piece left to hold it in place.

cheers conor.

and that is coming from the guy with a 1200mm wheelbase (Y)

Edited by Oskar

i know exactly how maguras work you cheeky git, how about i draw you a picture of what may have happened to the guy who said his pad fell out but it still braked.

maggiesystem.jpg

if something like this had happen to you, then yeah near death experiance, if not quit bitching

Edited by ash-kennard

love the detail (Y)

why is everyone bitching about a pad? its like 3 cm long?

all this conflict is hurting my head :(

EDIT: who the f*** was that? that was a near death experience

Edited by elcristoff-t-pro

The bottom line is that this sort of failure is very dangerous if it happens at a critical moment.

I'm relieved that you weren't hurt Martin!

I hope it's not unprofessional for me to comment on this, but back in the day I did have experience for my Heatsink pads of what seemed anecdotally (since it's very hard to put numbers on this for other pad manufacturers!) more than the usual very low failure rate for Powerpad backed pads. This worried me hugely! Through investigation I learnt that there were aspects in my old assembly method which were actually increasing the likelihood of this failure. I couldn't simply blame the backings being weak. I knew that the same pad backings were being used by other pad manufacturers who were only experiencing very rare backing failures.

In my case, I discovered that the following things needed to be addressed to reduce pad snappage down to the negliable risk it normally is. I would like to share this info so that there are as few failures as possible for everyone!

Improvements carried out for my Heatsink Pads:

1. Challenge my choice of degreasing solvent and the application method I had been using on both pad and backing to maximise the adhesive bond between the two;

1a: For the backings, use a degreaser which is designed for use on plastics, and speed up evaporation time by pumping air over the top of the coated backings. My original choice of degreaser could cause weakening of the backing plastic if over applied.

1b: Continue to use the aggressive degreaser for the pads but apply in a wipe technique rather than immersion so that only the top surface is primed and the whole pad structure doesn't become softer to the core. A softer core allows greater pad backing flex which increases the backing failure risk.

2. Cut up examples of assembled Heatsink Pads and inspect the actual areas where glue has reached. Improve the glue application technique and check by cutting pads up that the overall pad-backing structure is as uniformly bonded as possible.
Steve

love the detail (Y)

why is everyone bitching about a pad? its like 3 cm long?

all this conflict is hurting my head :(

EDIT: who the f*** was that? that was a near death experience

My answer for that is because your all too thick to consider constructive posts to actually find out why this happened, like I said before.

doesn't deng use powerpad backings? Imagine paying £135 for a brake (ppossibly justifying buying it because you get 'decent' pads with it) and this happening, you'd be f**ked off wouldn't you?

God apart from maybe ten percent, this forum is full of 'tards, or at least people who convey themselves on here as such.

sems that at least a bit of that ten percent posted just before me, yay!

edit:

Steve, I expect the cut of the pad to be of importance too?

If it's a good tight fit (like your moulding's :P) there is obviously going to be less chance of the pad moving about within the backing, and so less stress on the glue itself, the glue then act's more as a safety measure as the pad would technically still stay in the backing without glue.( I have first hand experiance of this) If it's not as tight a fit, and the glue is applied liberally enough or break's down, that could result in the pad moving causing undue stress on the backing?

Edited by jake1516

If you think logically about this there are basically 3 possibilities as to why its happened:

1: simply a manufacturing defect in the plastic.

2: The material may have been cut as a too close fit, causing a constant tension in the pad backing, and it to eventually snap at the corner, as that would act as a stress riser.

3: the pad was flexing when the break was pulled because of the uneven wear on its surface, causing the plastic to fatigue and eventually snap under a particularly heavy load. (the plastic looks to be miss coloured from the fatigue around the failure, which should indicate this is most likely).

Anyway, 2 or 3 things to check about your break in the future (Y)

P.S. Quit bitching ladies.

Edit: Beaten to it. meh.

Oh, yeah, same thing happened to a mate when he beaked to bring the nose down from a manual. He whent straight on his ass and it was pretty funny. But that was because of the uneven wear on the pad causing stress on the backings and causing the pad to be pulled up at the front towards the rim, making the back part the glue was still working in flex out and eventually snap, exactly as yours appears to have.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

If people posted everytime there bike went wrong and they had a " near death experience" then there might aswell be a seperate area on forum specially for it. It happens to us all but no need to have a big rave about it. Yes it was unfortunate it happen but no need for a topic with pictures and shit is there. Just fix your bike and go back out riding.

And theres not much to think about as to why it happen is there, rockpads dont use powerpad backings they use shit ones theres your problem. Get some powerpads backing form other pads and stick the material in problem solved.

Edited by andy h

I'm not sorry if that sounds like a rant but to be honest, it annoys me when people claim they could of died because of something that's happened to 20 other people.

But they could have, and so could the other 20 people. Just because twenty people have got away with something doesn't mean that you will. although it gives you a good chance.

It could have been near death but luckly it wasn't by the sounds of things. I'm sure you'll get over BREAKing your BRAKE pad.

Edited by Gavyn L