Looking For Some Decent Xc Forks, Confused.

Si-man

I am after purchasing some new forks for the old XC bike, and am clueless as what to get.

Ideally I am after rock shox but not to fussed if they are good.

Anyone recommend a good set of forks around the £300-350 mark.

Wil be doing a mixture of off road and on road if that helps and needs to be around the 130mm mark or adjustable.

Cheers,

Simon

Don't get RockShox, they have a really bad rep at the moment. Plus the whole U-turn thing is mostly a waste of time. Who is gonna stand at the bottom of a hill winding a little dial (for at least a minute)? On the other hand, my mate is selling some Revolutions for £175, let me know if you want them. I don't know owt about forks really, but most people say anything by Marzocchi or Fox is good.

Just go on eBay, you can get just about ANY pair of forks for under £200. Second hand obviously.

Been looking at fox forks but have been told that they need to be serviced regularly (like every 6 months or so) to keep them tip top which i cant really be arsed spending about £90 each time.

I have the Tora u turns at the moment on mine and they are pretty good, but i want something better. You can get the pop locks now tomm, saves having to so it from standing (pod mounted to the bars)

I'd go for marzochi's nowadays if u want good performance and zero hassle.

any thing from marzohci will be great, best for all round performance and price.

the all mountain rang are great quality! and the performance is second to none.

Sorry Tomm, but Rock Shoxs are the absolute mutts at the moment. While people over at Singletrackworld have been having lots of problems with Fox forks (such as air mixing with the oil) Rock Shoxs are pretty mutch bullet-proof.

Pikes if you want burly (I love mine), or Revelations if you want something lighter and more XC. You can buy Revs from TF Tuned with the correct spring for your weight at no extra cost.

I have some Judys which are a couple of years old and they seem to be OK, but all the people in the mountain biking club I'm in moan about Rockshox in general. If nothing else, 'Rock Shox' is a well gay name when you think about it, but maybe that's not a good reason to avoid buying good forks...

Im really liking those revelations, especially in white which is sort of what i am after (going to have a black frame you see)

All mountains have too much travel, dont need more than 130 really. Plus i dont really want to be going bolt through as im after making the front end lighter as its tank like now.

Another thumbs up for Rock Shox. Running Argyle's on my Revell, as Dirt Jumpers are just too fat in comparison, and Recon's on my XC bike. They've really got the seals dialled, and stiffness is excellent, with no weight penalty. Marzocchi are renowned for reliability, but have always been a wee bit heavier in most fields.

Tis true that Fox are immense, but then it's also true the need servicing every 5 miles to maintain a long life.

Go Rock Shox! Marzocchi, get your arse in gear

Smithy

go for the ones off flooksy because he is the don of suspension and an all round top gezzer.beware of fox because the seals on them have something like a 3week/3month gaurantee and if you use things like muc-off on it they wont do sweet FA on warranty.

Definately go for a set of revelations, they are absolutely immense. I'm currently trying to decide between them and pikes for my 4X bike as the pikes have extra stiffness, but for about a lb weight penalty (although they weigh the same as the pile of shite marzocchi dropoffs i currently have). Marz reputation for reliability is legendary, but as someone else said, it's usually with a weight penalty and the new RS seals and internals have brought them level IMO.

Tomm, rock shox were a bit ginger beer a couple of years ago, but since SRAM took them over they have been revolutionised and are now producing the best forks on the market by some way. Top to bottom in their range is the best you can get. I have some 2007 boxxers on my DH bike which i can't fault and will be buying some new single crown 130mm travel ones soon too. It's no co-incidence that on the last mbuk hardcore hardtail test 3 out of the 4 bikes tested had RS revelations on, with the other having a maz all mountain fork.

On the subject of U-turn i think it's brilliant, means i'll be able to wind the forks on the front of my 4X bike down to 100mm of travel for racing and boost it up a little when learning the track and doing other general freeride on it. Also the low speed compression damping is similarly very good, finally you get a true full range of adjustment from supple as a gymnast to rock solid, even on my boxxers i can effectively lock them out by winding up the low speed compression damping, yet on fully active they eat anything.

Final Conclusion:

Rock Shox Revelations

Don't get RockShox, they have a really bad rep at the moment. Plus the whole U-turn thing is mostly a waste of time. Who is gonna stand at the bottom of a hill winding a little dial (for at least a minute)? On the other hand, my mate is selling some Revolutions for £175, let me know if you want them. I don't know owt about forks really, but most people say anything by Marzocchi or Fox is good.

Just go on eBay, you can get just about ANY pair of forks for under £200. Second hand obviously.

I have a set of revelations, really good all round fork. + in complete contradiction to Tomm i love the u-turn feature, lock out is pretty handy too. I'd still hold out for a set of Fox though, really can't be beaten. Although saying that i've heard of problems with the TALAS forks, them going pop being the main problem!