The Musicians Thread?

Jed

Used to play the violin and keyboard/ piano when i was in primary school, was shit at violin so gave that up then gave keyboard up after 2 years.

Ive been temopted a few times to learn the drums but i dont have the get up an go attitude to do it. lol

Drums is the best instrument to learn 'cause you think your shut hot when you start 'cause you dunno what is good or not. Better than learning mary had a little lamb on guitar.

electric or acoustic?

I have a fetish for electric...as i like metal bands and alot of punk...But i just don't know.

opinions please :) sorry for the lack of info theres not really much i can say.

i'd hav to say a bit of both, but prefer acoustic mainly due to being a drummer just prefer the sound.

i guess you could use the word 'fresh' may sound bit odd but hey, lol! also the fact u can just pick it up and away u go no need for electricity.

Thanks alot will bare it in mind. Anyone else got any opinions on which to choose?

This thread moved fast!

Thanks alot will bare it in mind. Anyone else got any opinions on which to choose?

This thread moved fast!

Personally i would get a cheap ecoustic first to see if you like it. Then if you start playing in a band i would defiantly get an electric

Personally i would get a cheap ecoustic first to see if you like it. Then if you start playing in a band i would defiantly get an electric

I already have a cheap acoustic...so maybe i could go for lessons and practice on that and if i think i'll stick with it (which i'm 90% sure i will) then i'll just buy an electric or something.

Are guitar lessons just 'guitar lessons' or are there 'acoustic guitar lessons' and 'electric guitar lessons'?

lol. i apoligise!

I did play the drums for years. In fact i was a drummer in a band that got signed. Called monkey stole the drum. Unfortunately they got signed a month after sacking me! I didn't practice to much or learn the songs. It was good to start with, but then the others decided to want to be like radiohead, which , for a drummer, is shite! For me anyway. We did do some good radiohead covers though in the beginning. Paranoid android was the first cover i did in the band which sounded f**king brilliant if i do say so myself! It's on tape somewhere.

But anyway, i was nicely told that they wanted a drummer a bit more eager, and i was fine with that as i didn't really like it like i like my bike. I didn't know at the time what it was like to be totally obsessed with something. I sold my drums and got a bike with the money and for my birthday (it was a dear mtb lol). Then the rest is history!

Bongo

lol. i apoligise!

I did play the drums for years. In fact i was a drummer in a band that got signed. Called monkey stole the drum. Unfortunately they got signed a month after sacking me! I didn't practice to much or learn the songs. It was good to start with, but then the others decided to want to be like radiohead, which , for a drummer, is shite! For me anyway. We did do some good radiohead covers though in the beginning. Paranoid android was the first cover i did in the band which sounded f**king brilliant if i do say so myself! It's on tape somewhere.

But anyway, i was nicely told that they wanted a drummer a bit more eager, and i was fine with that as i didn't really like it like i like my bike. I didn't know at the time what it was like to be totally obsessed with something. I sold my drums and got a bike with the money and for my birthday (it was a dear mtb lol). Then the rest is history!

Bongo

Thats more like it! Anyway unlucky about the band but the radiohead drumming is boringly easy i admit.

Well. I played the piano for about 3 years. Quit that, and started to learn playing the drums. Created a band, wich was pretty awesome.

Suddenly we couldn't use the place we used to practise in, we were desperate to find another place. But gave up. That was 2-3 years ago. I miss playing in a band so f**king much.

played keyboard from like age 11 onwards, then at 13 started guitar, 14 drums, guitar was main instrument, but then it switched to drums as there were many guitarists in school and like one decent drummer.

These days....rarely play guitar, like a bit of acoustic stuff, thats about it. Drums, im grade 8 and play with a north east derbyshire swing band and do other side stuff. Piano....mainly just fun but i can play.

hehe found this from 2 1/2 years ago with the swing band, my first concert, was bricking it!! :P

obv i'm drumming. Enjoy my solo in it to, spot the double bass which i used to like so i was like 'yaaa lets try and put the pedals in' ha.

Hahaha mint

Guitar!

I got my first guitar at 6-7 and did nowt, part ex'd it for a Classical guitar (sitting next to me) and learnt classical from bout 2001-2000 and still doing it, £17.50 an hour is hefty but i'm doing grades and earing newcast points and all this and that, had an electric guitar now for bout 3 years, mexican Fender Strat and I lover her. She's called Kate and we do lots together, I have also learnt Bass which is piss I reckons. I also have another guitar now I made myself, a frankenstein guitar, looks abit shit and not well done but the sound is amazing, perfect rock n roll tone. I have wanted a band for about a year now but none of the kids round here like my genre of.. Pop Punk Emo Rock Ska sorta thing =D so i'm stuck, stickign at it though, one of my best qualities is my guitar fingers, I advise anyone to get into it, it's good! (Y)

Guitar that I made (Teal Green)

Strat (White)

post-6352-1181765446_thumb.jpg

post-6352-1181765727_thumb.jpg

Any links to decent electric guitars to start with. Just something nice and cheap but good for the money. Preferbly something that comes with an amp? :)

second time i've had to quote something i've said now lol

Onza Kieron

I'm sending you pmage :P

Edited by Barber

I meant to answer you I really did :P Well.

Theres afew things you need to consider when buying a Guitar..

*Type of Music Played

*Money range

Thats about it and only the money one is the important one. Also do you like small guitars, big guitars, thin, thick? Just say you don't know if you don't lol I don't know how much you already know.

I meant to answer you I really did :P Well.

Theres afew things you need to consider when buying a Guitar..

*Type of Music Played

*Money range

Thats about it and only the money one is the important one. Also do you like small guitars, big guitars, thin, thick? Just say you don't know if you don't lol I don't know how much you already know.

I don't really know but, i'd prefer a big guitar, and i mostly listen to Metal, punk and emo, screamo rock...so that sort of answers the type of of music i'll be playing. Money...i'm prepared to pay as much as its going to cost to get a decent one. BUT, i don't want to pay too much just something thats very good to start with for the money :)

Thanks alot. If you have any other questions that will help you help me feel free to ask :P

I used to be an avid drummer, got a reasonable kit and had a full studio at home. Still got my full akg mic set and kit but it never gets out now I've moved house to a more residential area and gone to uni.

Was in a band that did ok around my area, if you're interested you can check out my old band HERE

Might post some pics of my drum kit, although I'm sure there was a thread a while ago about this.

James

Ok, a very very common guitar for this genre (and a very common guitar full stop) is the Gibson Les Paul. However, the Gibson is very expensive at near £900 and Epiphone make licensed copies like how Squier do for Fender as you may of noticed, but these are much more respectable as Fenders arent as much, anyway.

Epiphone Les Paul

post-6352-1181805791_thumb.jpg

These tend to be around £300 new and in my opinion are very nice guitars with a great sound although not for all.

Fender are all very popular guitars but are not quite as much as Gibsons. I would definatly say the Stratocaster is the most popular guitar, in this country anyway, everyone has em or copies of em. Very nice quality of guitars, I own one and its gunna live with me as after about 15 years they start to go up in value. Theres two types of proper Fender guitars, made in Mexico (which is worth less second hand but slightly cheaper to buy) and Made in the USA (more expensive and is basically the top notch off the shelf fender) There is not or very very little difference between the guitars, I have played one after the other afew times and havent noticed.

So theres the Strat (£325ish mark for mexican or £525ish for Usa)

url.htm

Nice guitars, abit more melodic that Les Pauls but very common so expect to see all your friends with cheap copies.

And the Telecaster by Fender too (larger variety of sound that a strat and the guitars are abit chunkier but dont slot into your body like the Strat does.

post-6352-1181806440_thumb.jpg

Then theres Ibanez which are heavier guitars than the ones listed above, I honestly don't really know anything about em though so someone else will have to fill you in with these.

post-6352-1181806519_thumb.jpg

Then theres loads of other guitars out there, these are just afew that I think are nice to be honest (Bar the Ibanez) but yeh, best bet is to find a big guitar website and look on it at what you like then feel free to come ask me anything you need to know and i'll try help where I can. Or even better, go to a guitar shop and just look around, everything looks different in real life like that Epiphone shown, they are very small in real life!

url.htm

Edited by onza kieron

These are a couple of my beasts. I have too many more, but I just don't have photos of them.

The Strat has cost me all in all, about £3,000.

the teli cost me £250 - but is worth over the £1000 mark now.

Both are amazing to play, :D