Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

From my geeky 2 years spent on the Ps3 forums and from reading the threads on there I believe the 7200rpm's make considerably more heat than the 5400's and was kinda a no go to put in the Ps3 and could brick it. But I think that wasn't the case for ALOT of people who did it.

Having a crisis at the moment.

My computer had a breakdown, and wouldn't boot/beep. So I took the HDDs out, and built up a computer by combining my one, with ourold family one.

I'm using the old motherboard, my ram, the old HDD, with my HDD as a secondary.

My HDD has all my pictures, music, etc on it, and I don't want to lose it!

The problem i'm having is accessing the data on the HDD. The computer knows it's there, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. The drive status is 'foreign'. I think this is because it came out of a Win7 machine, and now i'm running XP.

Looked at various programs that tell me they can find all the files etc, but I don't have enough spare HDD space to back it up, format the drive, and then put it back again.

What do I do?

Found a program called 'Recover My Files' and it's scanned and found everything I wanted to, plus (literally!) millions of other file etc, deleted things etc.

Currently saving my scan onto this primary hdd, it's only around 40GB or so I think, so not as much as I thought! Hopefully there's enough space on this drive to store it all.

Then I'll format it, and start fresh with it. :)

Is it actually possible for Windows to boot super quick when powering up the computer? I mean even with a fast drive or solid state drive and quick processor, does it really have it going within 30 seconds? Just a question with no intent to try for that speed.

It's in the region of 20 seconds with a quick SSD and build.

Here's a clue:

You already know the software's name.

Someone just said the word torrent.

Google is a search engine, which when such terms are added together, will usually bring you results. We're not allowed to spell it out for you, it's against the forum rules - just apply some common sense.

Here's a clue:

You already know the software's name.

Someone just said the word torrent.

Google is a search engine, which when such terms are added together, will usually bring you results. We're not allowed to spell it out for you, it's against the forum rules - just apply some common sense.

common sense? :unsure:

i joke :) cheers for your help :)

You usually have to open files you download, and then follow instructions.

PRO TIP: some programs come with files that say READ ME! Avoid these at all costs, they're only there to call your mum a slag.

i do , but i give up ,, im just to dumb :)

In update to my RAM troubles last page....

Tried a spot of overclocking, and it just refused to boot when I underclocked the RAM on the multiplier. No idea whats going on there, I stuck with the stock 200mhz FSB but dropped the multi from 3.33 to 2.66, so the RAM would be at 533mhz instead of 677mhz. Nothing I could do to make it boot. :(

Had enough of this RAM, it's cheap and shit. Bought a 2x1gb kit of 1066mhz Crucial stuff second hand, unused and in the wrapper (RMA return) for £25 posted. :) Should mean I can set the multiplier to x4.0 (the highest available) for 800mhz, and then up the FSB to 266, givng 1064mhz RAM and 3458mhz CPU.

In theory....

Edited by Muel

From my geeky 2 years spent on the Ps3 forums and from reading the threads on there I believe the 7200rpm's make considerably more heat than the 5400's and was kinda a no go to put in the Ps3 and could brick it. But I think that wasn't the case for ALOT of people who did it.

Thanks. I had a quick read of some forums, and it's very 50/50 it seems. Though for the extra £10/£20 and no real difference in speed i think i'll go 5400.

I just thought, how on earth do i get it to FAT32? Do i just install and the PS3 will be like "new drive found, begin with format", or something along them lines?

7200rpm is quite a bit faster than 5400rpm though...

Do they take 2.5" or 3.5" hard drives? I have a pair of 7200rpm 1TB Samsung F3 3.5" drives tucked up in the top of my computer case with nothing cooling them and they stay below 40C even when benching them, and they're never more than luke warm to touch?

Edited by Muel