Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

A bit off topic but im sure it will help anyone who every reinstalls there os.

http://ninite.com/

Its a website that combines all the freeware you may need/want into one downloaded and then installs it all for you. I no that the one thing that puts me off reinstalling my os is having to reinstall all my software but i found this and its a god send. It covers everything from browsers to anti virus and everything inbetween.

Would recomend it to anybody.

Just thought it might help.

Joe

A bit off topic but im sure it will help anyone who every reinstalls there os.

http://ninite.com/

Its a website that combines all the freeware you may need/want into one downloaded and then installs it all for you. I no that the one thing that puts me off reinstalling my os is having to reinstall all my software but i found this and its a god send. It covers everything from browsers to anti virus and everything inbetween.

Would recomend it to anybody.

Just thought it might help.

Joe

Where were you 8 days ago. That's a fantastic idea!

Hi guys,

Dont know if any of you have experienced this before? If so maybe you could help?

My msn messenger (8 or 9 i think) has been playing up. I can sign in and it will stay on screen for a few seconds and then disappear. It then shows it is active on the righthand tool bar, yet if i hover over it that disapears too. Really weird. No spyware of Malware ( I hope!) as computer was completly wiped clean 2 days ago (was doing this before though).

Any help guys?

max

Don't suppose anyone has any idea how I can get my parents internet to work...

The ethernet cable socket doesn't even flash when its plugged into the computer or the router. Like the socket is dead on one side (router or motherboard)

Any ideas on a fix? Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Its enabled in device manager and the drivers are all up to date. Its weird how it worked last time I came round and all I did was unplug the cables and replug them. Then the next time the pc was off and on it didn't work again. Strange. I'm convincing them to buy that drone system you reccomended me muely baby.

Anyone help?

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard and a ATI x1900xt graphics card, however I want to buy a Nvidia 9800gx2 as the ATI card is sloooow. I believe the 9800gx2 is PCI-e 2.0 whatever that means? (I've been out of the loop for a while)

Does that mean it won't work in my motherboard?

Why do you want that card specifically? They're not bad, but slow by modern standards.

You'd get more value for money out of a modern card like a 5770 or a GTX460, and I'm almost sure that that board is PCIE 2.0.

Why do you want that card specifically? They're not bad, but slow by modern standards.

You'd get more value for money out of a modern card like a 5770 or a GTX460, and I'm almost sure that that board is PCIE 2.0.

I tend to like to upgrade to the top spec card from like 2 generations ago, usually buy off ebay and spend no more than £80. Where as I figure if I spent £80 on a new generation card it'd be a basic card that would still get trounced by the old 8800 Ultras or the 7800GX2's.

Good plan. What power supply do you have? The 9800x2 was an extremely thirsty card, they recommend 600w minimum to run it.

I'd go for a GTX260 in your position. A little slower than the 9800x2, but much lower power draw.

Good plan. What power supply do you have? The 9800x2 was an extremely thirsty card, they recommend 600w minimum to run it.

I'd go for a GTX260 in your position. A little slower than the 9800x2, but much lower power draw.

Okay cheers mate, what sort of price would be a good deal on a GTX260 or maybe a GTX280?

Not sure now to be honest dude, I'd guess around £80-120. Forte would be the best guy on here to ask, he just bought a 260 recently I think. :)

Cheers dude, just bought a GTX260 for £70 off eBay and it's £99.99 on Overclockers.

Hopefully my X1900XT will fetch £100+ if they go in Macs.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, my girlfriends laptop was full of viruses so I've formatted it and installed windows XP SP3. Now it all works but there is nothing on it at all (obviously), but the main bugger is getting the little wireless icon in the bottom tray. Any ideas? Main thing to do first is get the net going so I can download stuff. Found this link which is exactly what I want: click but I didn't think that was an extra patch that needed installing? Wireless net is fully working in my house (and hers) but I can't get the laptop to scan to connect to it. Following the crappy wizards on the laptop are next to useless, god I hate PCs.

Any help much appreciated

Dell by any chance?

When I reformatted my Dell laptop, the drivers didn't get installed. So dig out the cd's that came with the laptop and find the one that says drivers on it.

Nope some old gateway thing.

Yeah thats what I'm missing I think, the drivers. Scanned and downloaded loads of the drivers off the gateway website but dosen't seem to do much. Don't have the original driver CD as it's about 5 years old. Everything I research talks about wireless USB dongles but this has a wireless card built in which comes up under network connections. However I just can't find anywhere about scanning for wireless networks to connect to mine

Edited by Rob_P