Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

So i picked up a pretty good 32" philips lcd tv (from my girlfriends dad, for a good price), which i now have my computer connected up to, along side my xbox. But basically, flickering is quite frequent on 60hz, but i don't seem to be able to put any more hz into it on my nvidia control pannel. Anything i can do to improve things? It's ok with most things apart from web pages and msn etc, seems to be when there's a lot of white... Using a GeForce FX 5500, which i know is pretty basic but yeah... I have a 6800 (i think) in my old computer but not sure if i can just switch them over?

Edited by Fixed Pants™

So i picked up a pretty good 32" philips lcd tv (from my girlfriends dad, for a good price), which i now have my computer connected up to, along side my xbox. But basically, flickering is quite frequent on 60hz, but i don't seem to be able to put any more hz into it on my nvidia control pannel. Anything i can do to improve things? It's ok with most things apart from web pages and msn etc, seems to be when there's a lot of white... Using a GeForce FX 5500, which i know is pretty basic but yeah... I have a 6800 (i think) in my old computer but not sure if i can just switch them over?

I believe the 6800's are AGPx8 just like the 5500 so they should swap just fine. Then it'll just be a case of getting the settings right, double check the cables are secure too.

I know I'm whoring up this thread a little but...

My new laptop speakers are pretty quiet. Everything I watch it's always at full volume. This laptop actually has an analogue volume wheel so I've made sure the sound it up full on everything. Is there anything else I can check?

It's fine with the headphones.

Edited by JT!

Laptops are quiet. Simple as that.

That is true, but this one seems really quiet compared to my old dell and my acer laptops.

Well IMO watching films on a laptop defeats the point of a film anyway... :P

You're one of those people who has a 52" screen with 400 pounds worth of sound equipment who'll refuse to watch anything in SD anymore aren't u? :P

I'll look into that but I'm mainly watching movies on Netflix and youtube that's where I'm having the problem.

Maybe I should look into decreasing the volume on my wife rather than increasing the volume on my laptop. :ermm:

You were fed massive lies. It's a mid range card from the old series of nVidia graphics cards. Worth around £75-£100.

Personally if I were you I'd ask to see it working, if it does then do the swap. It's a fairly powerful card still that will do until the ATI 6*** series come along and force all the prices down. (Or at least, that's what the rumors say will probably happen).

I'll look into that but I'm mainly watching movies on Netflix and youtube that's where I'm having the problem.

Maybe I should look into decreasing the volume on my wife rather than increasing the volume on my laptop. :ermm:

The size of laptop speakers is marginally bigger than headphones. Why are they not as loud? You don't put them IN your ears.

Honestly, even if you manage to boost the volume, it'll probably just distort and possibly damage your speakers. You're better off getting a portable set of speakers, yes it defeats the object of a laptop but if you insist on watching films on it, it'll be the best way to go.

The size of laptop speakers is marginally bigger than headphones. Why are they not as loud? You don't put them IN your ears.

Honestly, even if you manage to boost the volume, it'll probably just distort and possibly damage your speakers. You're better off getting a portable set of speakers, yes it defeats the object of a laptop but if you insist on watching films on it, it'll be the best way to go.

Oh yeah I knew that, I just said that as a little bit of into if it could help.

I did boost the sound a fair chunk by ticking the 'enhance loudness' setting, which seemed to boost voice significantly but suppress music a tiny bit so it's a good trade off. I guess that's as good as it's going to get. It isn't a real big issue as I can just stick in my headphones when need be.

Thanks guys!

Suggestions on what I should look at haha?

it may not even by the graphics card, have you checked the spec of the tv to see what the highest hrz of the tv is, no matter how good the card is if the tv can only work up to a certain frequency you a bit stuck really.

Edited by Joe Aston