Handlebar Grip Fitting Method

Jake.

Why is it that everyone uses aftershave, deodorant, WD-40 or whatever it is that everyone seems to use... This usually leads to slippery grips, which isn't a big problem but it's not ideal.

My Dad came up with a brilliant solution to this. Follow the steps below:

Obtain some cable tie. (Click here for the best one to use)

cable-tie-4-100mm-black-or-white-242-p.jpg

Put about 5-6 cable ties on the INSIDE of the grip, with the pointy end pointing towards the stem.

(Thanks www.tartybikes.co.uk for the image)

large_ttfoamthin.jpg

Slide the grip with the cable tie onto the bar, make sure the cable tie is between the grip and the bar. The grips will have a lot of friction (to stop it moving about on the bar), what the cable tie does is slides onto the bar instead of the grip.

Pull the cable tie out one at a time, it should come out relatively easy. Make sure the end of the grip is at the edge of the bar, or adjust to how you like it.

Don't forget to put a bar plug in!

Hope this helps, if this guide wasn't clear enough I'll get a video up.

• Like 2

will try this shortly when i put my carbons on :) , but i usually go for deodorant or hair spray as it helps the grip slide on and leaves a bit of a sticky-ness after installation to avoid grip slip (hate slippy grips with a passion) also rubbing tar on the bars will stop slip too

i think more people have trouble with removal more than installation though

I like the track pump method personally. Waynio showed me and it blew my mind...

Put the track pump end inside the grip at one end, create a seal with your hand over the other end (hand around the bar and grip) and pump and slide! Obviously, the air expands the grip slightly enough for you to move the grip along the bar.

I like that zip tie method though, nice idea

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="PaRtZ" data-cid="2472865" data-time="1355825745"><p>

I like the track pump method personally. Waynio showed me and it <em class='bbc'>blew</em> my mind...<br />

Put the track pump end inside the grip at one end, create a seal with your hand over the other end (hand around the bar and grip) and pump and slide! Obviously, the air expands the grip slightly enough for you to move the grip along the bar.<br />

I like that zip tie method though, nice idea</p></blockquote>

I'm lazy so I much rather the compressor method