Help me find a bike

isitafox

My dad has been after a new bike for a few months but doesn't know what to get and has been toying with buying new bits for his catalogue-esque MTB to shave some pounds off (21 speed, steel taper BB, extremely heavy budget suspension, etc...) so I want to get him a bike for xmas.

He's really helped me out this last year when I've been short of ££ so thought it'd be a nice surprise but I'm struggling to find something suitable.

The spec preferably would consist of 650b/700c, rigid, 9 speed at the back (I'd ditch the front mech to make life easy and save a bit more weight), flat bars, under £300. I've looked around and seen a couple of possibilities, this Boardman at Halfords for £349 though the tyres look a little to skinny (will be used mostly for canals, bridleways, etc) or this Triban 500 at Decathlon for £260 though it's 3x7 and slightly heavier as a result.

Any suggestions???

Surely the best thing about 0% finance (especially with no deposit) is that you don't need to be sensible?!

I've got a couple of other bits of finance that'll be paid off by March, so it's better to wait until then, otherwise I'll have no spare cash each month.

I'm also now considering just buying a frame and shock, as bike-discount.de have Cube full susser frames that would accommodate all my current parts - they're only €190 too, which is insanely cheap!

If your looking at hybrid range at Halfords, this 10% off all adult bikes promo code: B16BK12 will help expires Mon 19th Oct 2015. Prices change at Halfords so always keep an eye out and use Google search engine for Halfords promo codes during the up and coming months ahead.