Tyre choice to prevent punctures

Daviesdt

Morning all,

Getting alot of pinch punctures lately on my 24 inch element, it's getting a little frustrating as seems every time I get out lately I pop the tyre on and edge of a ledge/kerb/rock..... Went out last night without a spare as they all need patching and popped my tyre within 5 mins so ride over, had to go get my MTB and muck around on that for a few hours.

I am currently running maxxis holy rollers with Kenda inner tubes at 3 bar which I think is 45 psi. My mate said the holy rollers are paper thin which won't help.

So, questions is, is there a good choice of tyres, inner tubes and psi that would prevent these types of punctures all the time? Preferably something short of the Danny Mac conti signature series!

Edited by Daviesdt
Error due to autocorrect on phone

@Paperclip runs the Odyssey Aitkens, and hardly ever gets a flat, they are dual ply so will definitely be better than holy roller and continental for punctures. You can run downhill tubes, really thick but also really heavy. I'm 10st and rim out my Conti all the time @ 40-45psi. I don't do some stuff because I know it will end with a flat, it's annoying. Dual ply conti would be sweet. 

All I can find on the Odyssey is 20 inch BMX tyres or a p lute tyre which seems to just be single ply and only 2.25 inch wide which seems quite skinny for trials. 

I actually don't mind paying the money for continental tyre if the stop punctures but from what Dman says above I might just have the same problem. Or is it a case of conti tyres (good quality) and thicker tubes? 

Got a link for thick tubes?

I'm wondering if I should go tubeless but seems a hell of a lot of faff.....

5 minutes ago, Daviesdt said:

I actually don't mind paying the money for continental tyre if the stop punctures

I'm no smooth rider and weigh 90kg. I haven't had a puncture yet in 5 months riding the Contis with Schwalbe Nr.9 tubes. 

Temped to get the continental tyres then, if for no other reason they can't be worse than the holy rollers. 

My thoughts were the 2.4 inch wide contains more air and I understand the continental tyres have thicker side walls so should prevent bottoming out on the rim a bit more. I thought the continental were twin ply though? Reading above doesn't sound like.

Will try searching no 9 tubes. Mind not fully made up yet, if Dman is 10st and bottoms out the continental at 40 psi, I'll definitely do it at nearly 13st at 45 psi!

@Paperclip are yours p lyte or k lyte?

It seems they only do k lyte now. 

The conti are miles better than holy roller and sidewall is a lot thicker. But don't get them thinking it will stop punctures it won't, it's more technique as well as the right pressures. I'm saying 45-50psi.

119748_00_d.thumb.jpg.a4b5122262adede45c4e065da6d42b31.jpg

I think kenda do a downhill 24.

• Like 1

I checked on odysseys website. The still have the Odyssey Atiken 24x2.25 K-Lyte. 

You could try giving Custom Riders a ring and see if they can still get them in! If they can still get them in I'll most probably buy another set

• Like 1

To need 70psi to not puncture says it all. There's probably more stress on the rim than the tyre at that pressure!

Conti sidewalls are much more stable and the rubber is much more grippy.

Edited by LEON

I once had a downhill 24" tube that I got for free in the back tyre a few years ago, was heavy as f**k, weighted about half a kilo.

Actually wanted to pinch it but gave up after a year and put it on a shelf..

Only ever ran Holy Rollers though, used to get lots of punctures in the first few years, not many lately (touch wood)*. I guess they teach you to be smooth. :P

I do consider changing to the Contis sometime when I've got no more rubber left on these..

*bet I'll get one this week?

Edited by Topsy

Are the continental heavy? Looking at the tubes Dman posted above and what topsy says above, downhill tubes are just under 0.5 kilo a tube (how thick are those things!? I bet I could ride them without a tyre!) If the continental were say 0.5 kilo a tyre I'd really be starting to jack up the weight of the bike.

I may try new tyres first then change tubes if still getting punctures. Still not sure on the continental tyres yet, want to see if I can find any Odyssey tyres and compare the two before buying.....

2 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

Are the continental heavy? Looking at the tubes Dman posted above and what topsy says above, downhill tubes are just under 0.5 kilo a tube (how thick are those things!? I bet I could ride them without a tyre!) If the continental were say 0.5 kilo a tyre I'd really be starting to jack up the weight of the bike.

I may try new tyres first then change tubes if still getting punctures. Still not sure on the continental tyres yet, want to see if I can find any Odyssey tyres and compare the two before buying.....

They are around 800grams a tyre

^Selling point being that their team riders are having to resort to DIY tubeless? I am very anti conti all I ever see on rides is either people backing out of stuff in case they get punctures or people doing stuff and getting punctures. 

How you ride makes a huge difference but even small things like riding between spots and tiny bits of glass giving people punctures. Happens loads. Especially in Manchester where the streets are paved with more glass than tarmac it seems. 

I run the Odyssey they're good,  dual ply 2.25, yeah they're narrow and yes you can feel that they are dual ply but I run 35psi so they bounce nicely. 

I find that on the most part when I bunny hop up a wall I aim for the corner, when I gap I aim for the corner of what I am landing on and when I rolling gap exactly the same. 

Other people I see just don't and they seem to aim to gap onto the top of things then as soon as that doesn't work out they just hit the corner super heavy and psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss fack'd it. 

I worry more on rides about Leon's headset seizing or his discs, chain and frame going rusty with lack of use than punctures :P

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

^Selling point being that their team riders are having to resort to DIY tubeless? I am very anti conti all I ever see on rides is either people backing out of stuff in case they get punctures or people doing stuff and getting punctures. 

How you ride makes a huge difference but even small things like riding between spots and tiny bits of glass giving people punctures. Happens loads. Especially in Manchester where the streets are paved with more glass than tarmac it seems. 

I run the Odyssey they're good,  dual ply 2.25, yeah they're narrow and yes you can feel that they are dual ply but I run 35psi so they bounce nicely. 

I find that on the most part when I bunny hop up a wall I aim for the corner, when I gap I aim for the corner of what I am landing on and when I rolling gap exactly the same. 

Other people I see just don't and they seem to aim to gap onto the top of things then as soon as that doesn't work out they just hit the corner super heavy and psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss fack'd it. 

I worry more on rides about Leon's headset seizing or his discs, chain and frame going rusty with lack of use than punctures :P

You can't get dual ply Odyssey now though it seems.