Trials Event @ Cuerden Valley Park 22nd May 2010 (nw)

Krafty_pk

My names Joe and im one of the rangers at Cuerden valley park, but also a rider myself (downhill and freeride, but dabble in trials) and im basically looking for riders willing to ride on the course throughout the day (22nd may 2010) as part of our green fair, last year we had over 3000 visitors in one day so thats plenty of people to show off infront of =)

To ride on the day, you will have to fill in this disclaimer http://www.mediafire.com/file/zn1knmymycc/Trials . It has to be filled in BEFORE the event due to insurance reasons. It can be filled in, scanned in and emailed back, or filled in and sent to the address below.

I will be setting up the course with help from the tarty bikes boys which is still being planned out, so suggestions of what people want can be pm'ed to me or email me at unjustdnb@hotmail.co.uk.

Atm weve got scrap cars confirmed, big tractor tyres confirmed, skips confirmed, forklifts, sleepers and pallets confirmed, big varying logs.....big big big.

The address of our main office and site is

Cuerden valley park trust

The barn

Berkeley drive

Bamber bridge

Preston

PR5 6BY

so google map or sat nav it and if your willing to travel then let me know

the more interest the bigger the 'peg' ill be able to aquire at the fair so get goin, and hopefully i can make this a regular event =)

There will be an entry fee unfortunately but its only £2. which basically allows you entry to the whole fair area and riding all day so i dont think its too bad, i hope this doesnt put people off

IMAGES of obstacle construction and things so far =)

14052010071.jpg

14052010069.jpg

14052010068.jpg

14052010058.jpg

14052010085.jpg

14052010081.jpg

14052010077.jpg

14052010074.jpg

Edited by Krafty_pk

Awesome awesome awesome idea. I'll be driving by then so I'll come. Would it be possible to spread it over the two days of the weekend? As it's quite a far journey for a lot of people to ride one day.

there was talk of it being a 2 day event but our event relies heavily on volunteers who are more than happy to give their time for 1 day but not 2, plus all the rangers have to work at the fair also (so 2 days didnt go down well hahahha)

but the more interest that is shown the more chance there is of it becoming a more....frequent event ;) as im pushing to get more biking events on the park, its no good for downhill (which is my main style) as its a valley but trials can easily be catered for.

im just drawing up plans for the course atm, ideally i want a begginers low balance section, workin up to big drop offs off stumps, big tyres etc

but as i said the more interest the better and i can then ask for a bigger peg, bigger peg = more rooooooooooom

there was talk of it being a 2 day event but our event relies heavily on volunteers who are more than happy to give their time for 1 day but not 2, plus all the rangers have to work at the fair also (so 2 days didnt go down well hahahha)

but the more interest that is shown the more chance there is of it becoming a more....frequent event ;) as im pushing to get more biking events on the park, its no good for downhill (which is my main style) as its a valley but trials can easily be catered for.

im just drawing up plans for the course atm, ideally i want a begginers low balance section, workin up to big drop offs off stumps, big tyres etc

but as i said the more interest the better and i can then ask for a bigger peg, bigger peg = more rooooooooooom

I would be more than happy to do that.

Hopefully ill be driving next year. I'd be happy to drive that far for a 2 day event, even if it was only trials on one of the days, as long as there was some other biking event on the other day worth watching.

unfortunately man its not just a biking event, the trials im trying to organise is all day on the day but thats it for this event (but as mentioned before the more interest shown the more chance there is that i can sort out a more frequent event) is just a part of a large event we hold on the park, as i said 3000 people came last year and the year before so it gets busy.

but cheers for showing interest though =)

me and some of my mates will come for sure (Y)

cool man, weve been talking more today about plans and its coming along nicely atm, next stop tarty bikes ;)

Sounds very interesting!

I'm not sure if your aware but TartyBikes is based in Bamber Bridge and Cuerden Valley is literally 5mins away haha. I've been there a few times on my XC bike.

I'll speak to the guys at work and see if they want to pop along for the day.

cheers man, and yeah, next stop is tarty when i can get there, im looking at heading up there this week to have a chat.

for people who are coming a long way, we do have a huge marquee and we do stay overnight to look after it, so providing theres not a lot of rowdy mongs chances are you can stay for beer and a bbq, but thats a maybe ;) again, it all comes down to interest we get and atm its looking pretty bright so cheers

• 1 month later...
Few of us might come along, where only in wigan :).

organisation is under way now for this event =) im designing the course as we speak, if anyone is local or anyone definately coming you can feel free to PM me and help out/provide ideas and designs for what you would like to ride.

Hi, update time

The cuerden event is progressing, we have just secured as many pallets and forklift trucks as we can shake a stick at, also we have tractor tires, logs, balance beams etc.

we are starting to look at confirming riders (you dont have to be a pro btw, we just want riders to ride it!) so if you are interested then please email me on unjustdnb@hotmail.co.uk or phone me anytime on 07590492949.

if you know anyone else interested please give them my details and ill be happy to let them get involved =)

cheers

joe

Joe popped in this afternoon and from what has been said it looks really promising! We'll be helping out with course design (it's VERY close to us: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sour...p;t=h&z=15) and I'll fire up some photos of the area and the course as it's built (maybe a week or two before the event if the land isn't in use) so you guys can see how it's progressing.

The park is really close to the M6, M61 and M65 so travel links are very good, plus of course if you did need any spare bits to keep your bike running we can sort you out from the shop (Y)

Just been down to the park to check it out (I walk my dog there so know it quite well but wanted to check out exactly what sort of space the trials stuff has...) and the area set aside for the trials is huge!

post-5427-1264781686_thumb.jpg

post-5427-1264781976_thumb.jpg

The park overall is 700 acres which is pretty nuts, and there will be plenty of other stuff going on like paintballing, army assault course, climbing wall, wood carving, blacksmithing, welding demonstrations etc, hog roast, various food stalls... and so on - basically a big family event.

So, the list of obstacles we have to play with so far are:

- Approx 20 8ft railway sleepers

- Unlimited (within reason) pallets, a bunch of tractor tyres, some forklift trucks, scrap cars, hopefully a couple of skips.

- Loads of treetrunks/logs (which can be cut/shaped with chainsaws)

Joe used to be a trials rider himself so understands what sort of stuff we need and as we are so close, we're gonna get stuck in with helping to design the course, so please let me know what you would like to see!!

We reckon a speed trials course down one side of the field would be awesome (for spectators too), plus a 'pallet area', 'tyre area', log area' with cars and forklifts littered about to link them up, plus a load of loose pallets that can be shifted about to make better take-offs, extra gaps, etc.

There will also be a large marquee which has to be slept in overnight to keep equipment safe after the event, so it should be no problem for people to camp there if you want to stay over. Apparently a BBQ and a few beers in the evening is the norm and long summer nights will also mean trials well into the evening! There is a 24hr Asda within 5 mins drive too, plus train station less than 2 miles away.

So, your input is welcomed, we've got a really good blank canvas here so let's make the most of it!

Ads :D

All items for the course have been sourced

we have confirmed:

Scrap cars

Tractor tires

Big skip

Forklift trucks

Pallets

Railway sleepers

Logs

Balance beams

We are now on with course design with the tarty bikes lads, and the disclaimer has been written.

for those 100 percent coming email me @ unjustdnb@hotmail.co.uk with your address and i shall post the disclaimer to you so you can fill it in before the event and have nothing to worry about.

its looking very promising and im getting a lot of interest so thankyou to all, and lets hope we can turn this into a regular thing, give the local riders something to get excited about.

I really like the sound of this! :) I'll definitely be making the effort to come.

Perhaps upload the disclaimer online & allow it to be emailed back filled in, and offer a Paypal address to pay that way.

What're the plans for the build up? Will you guys need help before the event?

yeah, would be best to post the disclaimer up somewhere. Sorry, I dont mean to doubt things, it all sounds really good, but is a disclaimer really worth the paper it's written on? Don't you need proper insurance if people are paying to ride there? I'm not saying I want it to cost more, I'm all for the "do it at your own risk" but it is legit doing it this way right?

Oh, and big up the speed trials, that sounds mega!!

Edited by walker

yeah, would be best to post the disclaimer up somewhere. Sorry, I dont mean to doubt things, it all sounds really good, but is a disclaimer really worth the paper it's written on? Don't you need proper insurance if people are paying to ride there? I'm not saying I want it to cost more, I'm all for the "do it at your own risk" but it is legit doing it this way right?

Oh, and big up the speed trials, that sounds mega!!

disclaimers can be iffy ground but at the end of the day we need in writing that people understand what they are doing and yes we do have propper insurance, its a 700 acre country park, we have to have public liability insurance etc anyway, we are simply adding this on as a one day event.

what we basically want is for people to come and have a good time, not attempt something they dont have the ability to do and break their leg and blame us, if that happened.... bye bye trials events.

the disclaimer can be emailed to anyone who requests it, just email me - unjustdnb@hotmail.co.uk, when im back at work i shall try and upload it so people can d/l it

Edited by Krafty_pk

I would be well up for this! And if you needed an extra pair of hands when you are building just let me know, I am pretty handy with a forklift :P I won't be back in the UK until march though, but hopefully will be based in coventry, so only a 1.5-2hr drive away.

Adam

I would be well up for this! And if you needed an extra pair of hands when you are building just let me know

Cheers dude! Some photos of your set-up might be useful actually, I'll dig them out and add to this thread now...

Edit:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....t&p=1944237

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....t&p=1949625

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....t&p=1950655

And video: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....=140233&hl=

If it's being a pain email it across to me and I'll stick it on the Tarty server dude (Y)

One thing to mention, I believe that everything will be FREE to ride!

there is a fee to get onto the site but its only £2 but thats the whole fair site and aaaaaaaaaaaaaall day riding, cant complain really