Onza Sample Frames For General Perusal

From time to time we get frames in that are either completely new designs or variations on a theme which we can then try out and then either decide to use or reject a particular design.

We've put up pictures of this type of frame before on the forums to see what the reaction would be.

So for your amusement here is the latest batch. Click on the images for the larger version.

Constructive comments welcome. Weights have now been added (5:38pm).

MOD NUMBER 1 - 1.98kg

If you don't recognise it, it's the Limey 20. Or something similar will be.

mod1-1.jpg

mod1-2.jpg

mod1-3.jpg

mod1-4.jpg

mod1-5.jpg

mod1-6.jpg

mod1-7.jpg

mod1-8.jpg

MOD NUMBER 2 - 2.28kg

mod2-1.jpg

mod2-2.jpg

mod2-3.jpg

mod2-4.jpg

mod2-5.jpg

mod2-6.jpg

mod2-7.jpg

mod2-8.jpg

mod2-9.jpg

MOD NUMBER 3 - 1.78kg

The major difference between this and mod number 2 is the fact that the bottom bracket arrangement is made with tubes rather than CNCed parts.

mod3-1.jpg

mod3-2.jpg

mod3-3.jpg

mod3-4.jpg

mod3-5.jpg

NEW MODEL LIMEY WITH SHORTER HEAD TUBE

limey2-short-head-1.jpg

limey2-short-head-2.jpg

limey2-short-head-3.jpg

SAME LIMEY BUILT

limey2-short-head-built-1.jpg

limey2-short-head-built-2.jpg

limey2-short-head-built-3.jpg

limey2-short-head-built-4.jpg

limey2-short-head-built-5.jpg

limey2-short-head-built-6.jpg

Edited by BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

First mod looks ok, but the other two are gash

What's the reasoning behind the shorter headtube?

Other than contact area for welding between the top/down tubes it doesn't seem to have any real benefits, and looks silly

Keep it as it is!

edit; limey disc mount also needs changing

Edited by Monkey Boy

Mod 1 looks good to me and mod 3 would be nice if it had a normal down tube. Im guessing that you've purposely experimented with the downtube but I think it would make quite a nice frame if it was normal.

oh and the limey just looks wierd. I thinks its cos im used to seing it with the normal toptube.

I think it's kinda pointless designing mod frames that can't take a rear disc these days. For the extra design costs and what ever else is involved in adding a trials friendly rear disc mount, the company is going to sell sooo much more of the frames to make those initial costs insignificant. People are always asking on here about frames with a rear disc mount, it's about time onza had one. :)

Hence me saying i like the 2nd mod. (Y)

yay! shiny new onzas and they make the last batch of dengs look utterly gash

mod 3 for me - well, if I could still be arsed with trials bikes it would be - it looks much cleaner without the CNCing. The seatstay bridge is a nice touch too, been looking at bmx frames have we :P ?

I can't see any snail cam bolt holes in the dropouts - are they there?

for the love of god please bring them out in black and if you could see your way to not laquering over the stickers it might make peoples lives a bit easier :)

that limey looks so weak for some reason, i bet that is a bit front heavy as well. i like mod 2 that looks mint, but as a few others have said, the other 2 are (N)

edit: also whats up with the dropouts on the mod 2, is that for snail cams or something

Edited by braintreetrials

#1 + 3 ok...2 is utter gash! i feel sick looking at it, looks like its been bodged? More random tubing with no attempt to make it asectically pleasing...3 looks abit cleaner with thinner tubing, i hate these fat square seat stays they do thses days...

Limey sucks....

Good effort i suppose, concepts are there but have been done badly...

Steve x

Edited by STEVE-0

I really like the aesthetics of Mod 2 & Mod 3, but please don't cantilever the BB, unless you're wanting lots of warranty claims!

It's a shame that joining the top tube behind the BB creates a weakend structure compared to the normal structure, because looks wise it's great.

Steve

As Inur pointed out the arrangement is a bolt screwed in the front to push the wheel backwards, thus bringing the tensioner inboard so you can't smash it on rocks and stuff.

It's an evolution from the drop stay frame.

Of course, it makes snail cams completely impossible.

on Mod 3 ? I can't see the hole but if it's there, it's better than snail cams.