Onza Sample Frames For General Perusal

Thanks for all the feedback comments. The Limey 26 was just playing with ideas and is just experimental. The 3 mod frames are first proto's of our new line up. The Limey 20" will go into production but with some cosmetic changes and probably disc mounts. The second and third mods are developments of a theme and one frame will go into production with elements of both. It will be our competition frame in two lengths and will be available as frame only or custom builds. It will be as light as the competition but hopefully stronger, and in two lengths. The third frame will be ridden by Danny Butler very shortly. The new "V" stem will be in production shortly and is designed to stiffen the lateral flex of the handlebar, particularly noticeable on 76 cm bars. All our prototypes are now finished in black with silver graphics so do not read anything into the colours

Will they limey mod use a proper usable beefed up disk mount, or a flimsey thin one which isn't really useable as it will just break, because doesnt the limey have a rear disk mount but if i remember right the tarts don't advise running a disk as its not up to the job and will break.

Will they limey mod use a proper usable beefed up disk mount, or a flimsey thin one which isn't really useable as it will just break, because doesnt the limey have a rear disk mount but if i remember right the tarts don't advise running a disk as its not up to the job and will break.

I was just thinking that about the Limey 26"- the disc mount in the pics reminds me of the ones on the old Hawyes Giant Team Trials frames = snap happy.

The new "V" stem will be in production shortly and is designed to stiffen the lateral flex of the handlebar, particularly noticeable on 76 cm bars.

that's a bloody good idea - trials bars feel realy dangerous to me

All our prototypes are now finished in black with silver graphics so do not read anything into the colours

but it's so much nicer than the current production colours

I like the look of the Limey mod.

2 and 3 are a bit... :ermm: - What's the reasoning behind the dropouts on those? With the metal bits bolted in? I can't see a point to it really...

The shorter headtube on the Limey stock looks pretty cool, reminds me of that 24" custom Zoot Tartybikes had?

Oh, and the V stem just looks strange. :P

Really like the look of the shorter-headtube Limey, just looks cool. I guess having a shorter headtube puts less force on the welds, 'cos there's not as much steerer tube leverage trying to rip it off the top/down tube? Or have I just made something up?

Actually the opposite is true, due to the forks being a cantilever. Imagine the lower cup as a pivot point for the forks. Now say you have a 10N load on the dropouts, 400mm from the pivot point, for the system to be in static equilibrium there must be an equal force applied to the forks on the other side of the pivot point.

The moment on the dropouts around the lower headset cup is 10x0.4=4Nm

Now an opposing force is needed to create static equilibrium, so assume we have an 80mm headtube.

The load on the upper headset cup is 4/0.08=50N

Now assuming a headtube 120mm long.

The load on the upper headset cup is 4/0.12=33.33...N

Meaning the longer headtube puts significantly less stress on the upper headset area. And the same goes for if you calculated it taking moments around the upper cup.

Might be wrong but meh, thats the way I see it. To be fair though, the headtubes on limeys look about as weak as a tank in a bomb shelter, so I can't imagine it being much of a problem.

Actually the opposite is true, due to the forks being a cantilever.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But it's been a while since A-level maths so I couldn't work out how to explain it. I could see the point if you were trying to get a super-low front end, but since we're not, I think it's a bit pointless.

The only way i could see that stem being used if each 'arm' was half the weight, therefor, the stem being as light as others, then i could see it being bought. But apart from that, no one's going to buy it.

i'd rather have something stronger than something lighter anyday. that said i've never seen that many broken stems. any chance of a mod one? also any chance of onza mod stems in different geos?

Like the mod frames though. I think the dropouts on the limey needed altering before the headtube though.

Seconded - should really really sort the disc mount first... also - probably got this wrong but are they internal headset stylee headtubes ? with adaptors and tensile headsets banged in ? surely if you wanted short stack height you should have made it into ordinary headtube ? just seems abit weird to go short then add extra bits. oh and the small contact area on the headtube welds seems silly to me too - asking for it.

The new "V" stem will be in production shortly and is designed to stiffen the lateral flex of the handlebar, particularly noticeable on 76 cm bars.

its a good idea - but does it mean you basically are stuck to onza bars ? but then again ... who the hell needs 30 inch bars !!!! oh and are you doing this for control or to stop people snapping your very wide bars :P

anyway I like mod 1 and 3 (as far as i like any mods) they have some nice touches. The limey needs some work but is ok as it is.

oh and like everyone else says - get good paint jobs and dont laquer over the stickers !!!!

ok just to update you all the limey20 is now built up and has been rode by most of the team ie Danny Ben Rob and Ash and it Ash who is now on it and it rides ace

only one or two very little things to sort on it and i think its spot on hope Mike gets it under way fast as i think it this will be one of the best 20" bikes to ever come on to the market

Dave B

PS Mike can you send Dannys frame asap as it wants to get it built up thanks

Dave B