Anyone Know Anything About Diesel Vans?

tomturd

My mates van (ldv pilot ex royal mail with about 35,000 miles) blows out white smoke/steam from the exhaust occasionally after changing gear. When the revs are lowish (just after changing) it judders, blows out white smoke, seems to sort itself out and then accelerate as expected.

Anyone have any idea why this is? One garage says its the fuel pump.. which costs £600 + labour to replace :S

Other suggestions have been that theres water in the fuel tank, or a leak in the fuel line.

Might be buying into this van (work with the guy) so I'd prefer to know its not gonna cost a shed load to fix before I part with any money!

My mates van (ldv pilot ex royal mail with about 35,000 miles) blows out white smoke/steam from the exhaust occasionally after changing gear. When the revs are lowish (just after changing) it judders, blows out white smoke, seems to sort itself out and then accelerate as expected.

Anyone have any idea why this is? One garage says its the fuel pump.. which costs £600 + labour to replace :S

Other suggestions have been that theres water in the fuel tank, or a leak in the petrol line.

Might be buying into this van (work with the guy) so I'd prefer to know its not gonna cost a shed load to fix before I part with any money!

I think the problem is that there is a petrol line, and it's a diesel van... :lol:

Sorry thom, it's a helpless post. Hope you sort it though (Y)

Bongo

Could be a duff Turbo?

My friends Turbo went and he got blue / grey smoke... well it went shortly after.

EDIT: Assuming it's a Turbo Diesel of course !

Haha, it is most definitely NOT a tubro diesel! Whatever the opposite of a turbo is, its that :P

I hate to be the bringer of doom, but is it using any coolant?

As in water? Well it seems to be going down yeah :S Problem is it didn't come with a manual, so we don't know where to fill it up to. Doom - that doesn't sound good!

While I'm here, should we fill it up to the 'suspected' fill level when the engines hot or cold? If I remember correctly, the water rises when its hot... Also, should any water really be 'used'? Cos my old fiesta didn't ever really need to be topped up, until it boiled over in the middle of a desert that is.

Water being used can be innocuous, a small leak in a hose perhaps. At the though worst it can be new head-gasket time. Get a bottle of sealant (rad-weld or barrs leaks are the best we've used) and see wether that cures it.

The temperature of the coolant doesnt really affect the level much, it expands but so does the engine and radiator so the change is minimal.

If water is being used then it might be finding itself into the engine somehow, perhaps a cracked block or busted head gasket or something. I suppose one way to test it would be with a compression gauge on each of the cylinders. But I don't know much about car engines, other than when my old Fiesta ran out of water it seized, but tipping oil down the plug-holes and turning it over with a socket-spanner on the flywheel freed it off again...

Water being used can be innocuous, a small leak in a hose perhaps. At the though worst it can be new head-gasket time. Get a bottle of sealant (rad-weld or barrs leaks are the best we've used) and see wether that cures it.

The temperature of the coolant doesnt really affect the level much, it expands but so does the engine and radiator so the change is minimal.

Ok cheers, We'll keep an eye on the water level and see how much it's going down, and get some rad-weld in it. Hope its not the head-gasket 'cos that sounds expensive!

If water is being used then it might be finding itself into the engine somehow, perhaps a cracked block or busted head gasket or something. I suppose one way to test it would be with a compression gauge on each of the cylinders. But I don't know much about car engines, other than when my old Fiesta ran out of water it seized, but tipping oil down the plug-holes and turning it over with a socket-spanner on the flywheel freed it off again...

Cheers, no idea what a compression gauge is though :P I guess thats one for the garage!

I was kinda hoping someone would say 'ah yeah, white smoke.. change a fuse' :(

Will report back with the water level.. thanks for the help so far (Y)

If its blue smoke it'll be the diesel mix, or the injectors may need calibrating (which might explain it cutting out). Could also be the fuel filter cutting it out, so I'd probably change that first as it's the cheapest.

If its dark black smoke could be nakered spark plugs, worn piston rings or the turbo is on it's way out.

If its white smoke it's usually the oil, so I'd go for a oil change and oil filter renewal which is also pretty cheap and you could do that yourself. (Recommended oil change every 6/8,000 miles.)

Water causes a cloudy type of smoke, think it's called steam =P. Anyway good luck with it, go for the easiest things first obviously like the filters and maybe the spark plugs. Injector calibration costs alot of money so maybe ignore that one for the time being.

If its blue smoke it'll be the diesel mix, or the injectors may need calibrating (which might explain it cutting out). Could also be the fuel filter cutting it out, so I'd probably change that first as it's the cheapest.

If its dark black smoke could be nakered spark plugs, worn piston rings or the turbo is on it's way out.

If its white smoke it's usually the oil, so I'd go for a oil change and oil filter renewal which is also pretty cheap and you could do that yourself. (Recommended oil change every 6/8,000 miles.)

Water causes a cloudy type of smoke, think it's called steam =P. Anyway good luck with it, go for the easiest things first obviously like the filters and maybe the spark plugs. Injector calibration costs alot of money so maybe ignore that one for the time being.

It'll be the first diesel I've ever seen with spark plug trouble :P

And you're a little mixed up. Blue smoke is oil, usually coming past the rings or up the valve guides. Black smoke is overfuelling, wether that's a pump or injector problem. I'd support the idea that the cutting out may be a fuel problem, perhaps a can of diesel clean would be a good thing to try if you stop its coolant drinking habit.

glad its not just me, i thought my knowledge of diesel engines was about to become all a lie lol.

May not help but our land rover was smoking black for the first 3 minutes or driving and then stopped. My dad was told to try adding an additive (I presume to clean something, somewhere) but that didn't work in our case. Maybe someone knows what this additive is and may help?

We bought some oil today for it, the oil in there at the moment is black, which I don't think is right.. should be goldeny? So once we work out how to do it we'll give it a try (Y)

Wierd. Dave and I are looking for this exact van!

If he doesn't want to bother fixing it - we'll buy it!

haha, nah he's pretty deeply in love with his van :P He got it off ebay for £2000 + VAT. Ex royal mail about 3 years old, could probably find the guys username on ebay if you wanna check it out :) Seems pretty cheap to me! (maybe that expains the white smoke..)

And you're a little mixed up. Blue smoke is oil, usually coming past the rings or up the valve guides. Black smoke is overfuelling, wether that's a pump or injector problem. I'd support the idea that the cutting out may be a fuel problem, perhaps a can of diesel clean would be a good thing to try if you stop its coolant drinking habit.

Tis definitely using up a lot of water... so we'll get some rad seal in it. He's already been using diesel additive of some kind, is that the same kinda thing as diesel clean? Or is it worth getting that too..

We bought some oil today for it, the oil in there at the moment is black, which I don't think is right.. should be goldeny? So once we work out how to do it we'll give it a try (Y)

Tis definitely using up a lot of water... so we'll get some rad seal in it. He's already been using diesel additive of some kind, is that the same kinda thing as diesel clean? Or is it worth getting that too..

All modern oils go black very quickly, it's mostly carbon and tiny bits of metal being held in supension. The age/use of the oil is more important than its colour in knowing when to change it. Another thing, if it's losing water into the engine, you may find a mayonaise-like substance plastered around the oil filler and the top end of the engine, that's a pretty good sign of a failing head gasket.

Most diesel additives are pretty similar, and should be doing the same job.

As has been said, check for mayonaise-type substance around the oil filer cap, this is a strong sign of the head gaskets gone. Also, check to see if there is any water coming out of the exhaust pipe when the engine is revved. If there is, this is due to the water escaping through the exhaust valves, again suggesting either the head gasket or a cracked block. Also check your thermostat is opening properly, and if in doubt, take it out and see if that solves the water problem. It may be that its not opening and just boiling the water up.

Hope you get it fixed

Andy

As has been said, check for mayonaise-type substance around the oil filer cap, this is a strong sign of the head gaskets gone. Also, check to see if there is any water coming out of the exhaust pipe when the engine is revved. If there is, this is due to the water escaping through the exhaust valves, again suggesting either the head gasket or a cracked block. Also check your thermostat is opening properly, and if in doubt, take it out and see if that solves the water problem. It may be that its not opening and just boiling the water up.

Hope you get it fixed

Andy

Ah right, well the thermostat doesn't seem to work, the engines always cool according it... Could that potentially solve all the problems? Really need a manual to find out where it is :P

It will be housed somewhere between the head and the top hose of the radiator. If you follow the top hose back towards the engine, it "should" be encased by the cylinder head. Should be fairly obvious where it is. Dont quote me on this, but its how I found the thermostat on my Previa.

is there "oil" or a oily smell in the water? if its loosing water, your ina situation that really needs sorting ASAP.

Just had the same happen to my turbo van, for different engines there is different symptoms.

White smoke is usually head gasket (on normal cars, on turbo cars it can be the turbo oil seals)

BUT if it is using water, your in deep shit!!!! my van had a cracked Coscast head on, CHING CHING!!!! was having £1250.00 worth or making it into a race prep head and then had to spend an extra £250/300 on a coscast head. wasnt smoking bad, i just felt it needed stripping down and sorting, a decent garage will be able to find all these problems in the pipeline.

Personally id take it to the local independant garage, and get chatty with them, they will be as helpful as you like and hopefully offer you the best advise, tell them its using water and blowing white smoke.

:)(Y)

Wayne.