Braided Hose Splitter

Ducko

Surely this setup is much more spongy? After all you've added a hell of a lot more hose to the system.

same, i can't see how this splitter would make it less spongy anyway..

but for the cylinders to move exactly the same time, either one of the cylinders can't have sticky pistons in the slightest.

it is less spongy and its braided hose its not really flexible, if i had shitty pistons i wouldnt have bothered making it and would have left my brake shite,

but it works spot on as i said,

and i might be making a batch soon,

hoses do need trimming just threw it together to test it

cheers for comments

So what makes it differant from a monty hose splitter?

And it will only make your pistons move at the same time if they are both subject to the same frictional forces, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

Better to set up?? how?? I'm sick of people making things and trying to justify them with the stupidest excuses?

you havn't given us much information have you?

What makes it different is the fact it works with braided hosing.

The monty one you push into the magura hose, braided hosing is very different and makes the brake a lot stiffer, well I have found it does, not tried it with CNC pad backings yet, that could by my next adventure, probaboly have an insanely stuff brake.

So what makes it differant from a monty hose splitter?

And it will only make your pistons move at the same time if they are both subject to the same frictional forces, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

Better to set up?? how?? I'm sick of people making things and trying to justify them with the stupidest excuses?

you havn't given us much information have you?

you have no idea,

braided hosing is different from normal hose as it has screw fixtures and cany slip onto the tapers on a monty hose spliter,

better to set up as both pistons move equally unlike when its set master and slave style,

more power because both pistons are getting direct pressure from lever piston again not working as master and slave which means the master has more pressure initially.

its alot better performance wise as its enabled me to set the brake up spot on.

if you have nothing good or constructive to say keep it shut,

and try learn something about braking,

if i make a few it will be cheapish maybe 10 quid?

cheers

Edited by craigdavies

Now I'm no Magura whizz but if I know my physics the pressure should in theory be the same in the whole brake whether it be the left slave piston or the right slave piston (BUT yes I know they don't ever both seem to move equally fast or far) but yeah thoretically the pressure inside the system should be equal. And I just don't see how you can get "more power" using a splitter rather than your average crossover, you're pressing equally hard on the lever, the master and slave pistons are the same, oil/water does not compress (significantly) so yeah, you won't get more power. Now if I am right there must be another reason for there being a splitter like the monty one but for the moment (other than aesthetically) I can't see what difference it would make.

Edit: And what is this talk of braided hosing being less spongy? Bullshit! Neither one of the hoses expand enough for you to feel it especially not under the puny pressures crated by our index fingers! And as far as I've noticed (yes I've had both) the stuff makes no difference other than the braided hosing is more expensive, more durable, better looking and has better fittings.

Edited by Dani.

Saying Jake has no idea what he's talking about, then writing such bollocks is a bit silly.

A hose splitter does not increase the braking power of a brake. In your case, it is acting like a kind of placebo, making you think your brake is much better which in terms of power it is definitely not.

might have worded it wrong im not saying it has more power it obveously doesnt,

im saying in using it i find it easier to set up,

i find the performance better(and by this im not saying there it gives of more power)

both pads move in sync everytime,

all this adds upto a better working brake,

i dont really care about what people think,

i put the idea upto show people not have an argument with anyone about it,

i like it it works and if people want to go on about it being no good fair enough,

but my brake has been a damn sight better since ive used it.

cheers for positive comments will post up the re designed drawing soon.

cheers

Saying Jake has no idea what he's talking about, then writing such bollocks is a bit silly.

A hose splitter does not increase the braking power of a brake. In your case, it is acting like a kind of placebo, making you think your brake is much better which in terms of power it is definitely not.

i have not said anywhere in this topic that it increase power damn it read the post properly!

might have worded it wrong im not saying it has more power it obveously doesnt,

i have not said anywhere in this topic that it increase power damn it read the post properly!

more power because both pistons are getting direct pressure from lever piston again not working as master and slave which means the master has more pressure initially.

I actually LOL'd.

It does seem as though you are making up excuses to justify it. I mean, firstly, as far as i was aware the master piston is in the lever ;). So your still using a master and slave system because both the calipers are slave pistons. Its easier to set up? How exactly? I mean, once both your calipers are in the mounts it doesn't matter how the cables are attached, you only have to hold them in the right place and tighten the clamps up. There will also be absolutely no difference in pressure inside the hose as its a completely sealed unit. So as long as its sealed at both ends theres going to be the same amount of pressure regardless of using a crossover or a splitter.

Congrats for making what i believe is the first braided hose splitter, although i still don't see the point in them other than not having a corssover to tear off. With the splitter the cables can be attached to the stays and are generally more out of the way.

'you have no idea,

if you have nothing good or constructive to say keep it shut,

and try learn something about braking,'

Did you actually read anything I wrote? I have made about the most constructive post in this thread letting you know that unless your cylinder have equal friction then your splitter wont work anyway!

I was half expecting the point to be that it could be used with braided hosing, but otherwise it's exactley the same as any other hose splitter which as I've allready said, only works when you have equal friction in both cylinders. and guess what, if you do have equal friction and a proper bleed both cylinders will move at the same timeanyway! even when used with a crossover!!! so apart from adding weight to the bike, I'm still not sure what advantages it has over a standard crossover (other than ease of fitting, which isn't going to convince me to buy it)

Fair enough you might find it easier to set up, I cannot argue with that, but what you've said about applying equal pressure and such has nothing to do with the splitter, wouldn't more people use monty splitter's if they gave more power or equal cylinder movement?

feels less spungyyyy,

better to set up

both pistons move in time with the same force

much better

Prove it :P

it's claims like that^^^^ that I was referring to in my first post.

Nice work.

The main advantage I've found since using a Monty splitter is it looks better. (Mount the splitter in front of the seat tube under the top tube and stlit from there - it looks a lot better and you don't need tape.)

Set up wise, its worse as it takes longer to bleed.

The pads do 'seem' to move more equally - whether this is actually the case I don't know.

However to add to the discussion - in a standard Magura system wouldn't the piston closer to the lever be affected by the pressure change first when you pull the lever? If you ignore the friction side of things that is.

i found that bleeding the brake did not take much longer to be honest but i guess it depends how u do it,

i cant prove the pistons move equally but as far as im concerned its quiet obvious,

personally ive noticed that most people who run the normal setup always have the master piston move first before the slave,

not here to prove anything,

its just there for people too look at.

cheers

Yeah, the master cylinder is the lever, and the slaves are both the caliper end pistons.

It's a cool idea, I think the main thing that puts people off the Monty hose splitters is that the barbed fittings are a pain in the arse. Guessing yours just uses some m6/m8 threads and standard olive style fittings? So in theory you could use it with normal maggie hosing too, to avoid the hassle of the barbs.

I agree with everyone that it shouldn't really make a difference to the slaves retracting evenly, as the pressure in the system is equal all over in whatever set-up, the thing thats made the difference in your break is more than likely the bleed, if you say its now less spongy, and has made them retract evenly then it sounds like there was probably a small amount of air in your break before. Which does indeed stop the pressure being equal, and cause one side to move slower.

If you keep it cheep and get the bulk down a bit I can see it selling pretty well, looks a load better than the crappy barbed Monty ones that's for sure.