What Makes Front Wheel Moves Easier?

DGrabiec

I have always seem to have problems with front wheel moves so I've been wondering if my bike has something to do with it. Soo..what can make front moves easier? Longer stem? Higher bars? Shorter fork?

BTW my setup is (incase somebody has some suggestions)....

Zoo riser bars

Random 110X10 stem

20mm steerer spacers

420 PX fork

Echo control short (I'm not changing this....)

Thanks for any replies!

Not caring that you are gonna destory a few parts and potentially lose a few teeth along the way.

You do (if you're talking about distance being the difficulty which I assume you are) just have to f**king chuck yourself, face first, as hard as you can across the gap, and hold on.

NOTE: Please try this on flat ground first... Baby steps...

Rich

just have to f**king chuck yourself, face first, as hard as you can across the gap, and hold on.

Thats what I was afraid of haha.... oh well. So I'm assuming that changing my setup won't really make much of a difference?

No, not really. In theory longer stem and shorter fork will make your bike easyer to balance on the front wheel, but your setup is just fine for doing front wheel moves. It's just that you have to get over the fear and go for it.

setup makes a huge difference i used to have a 203mm rotor bb7 which was immense, could throw myself at stuff and keep my rear wheel lower than the object before flicking through. now my brakes gone shit so i've got to get right over the front before i can go through to back

Definitely pinch gap instead of launching a foot from the edge of the obstacle.

Secondly I find it much easier to gap straight ahead (not at an angle) and not lock the front wheel. It keeps your momentum and allows you to stay on the obstacle. It's obviously not the case when you're gapping onto something narrow.

As far as geometry goes, high-bb bikes are really crap for wheelswaps and gaps in general so i wouldn't say your Control has inadequate geometry for these kinds of moves.

Genuinely interested in how pinch gaps are better for front wheel gaps. I though it would be worse because it automatically makes you bike go lower....

Someone please explain?

Pinch gaps help give more bounce on take off so its easier to get your back wheel high in mid air, which means your further over the front. Try it, front gap on the flat and then take off with your rear wheel on the edge of the take off, having it on the edge helps a lot.

As far as geometry goes, high-bb bikes are really crap for wheelswaps and gaps in general so i wouldn't say your Control has inadequate geometry for these kinds of moves.

Actually I found that my 06 czar which I absolutely hated in every other way (too long, crap for taps etc) was THE gap-to-frontwheel monster? Because of the higher bb your body weight is more on the front wheel so it's easyer to land with your body in the right position? At least that's what I thought..

Actually I found that my 06 czar which I absolutely hated in every other way (too long, crap for taps etc) was THE gap-to-frontwheel monster? Because of the higher bb your body weight is more on the front wheel so it's easyer to land with your body in the right position? At least that's what I thought..

I agree, they're really good for gaps to front, but they're no good for wheelswaps in my opinion. It's just so much easier to wheelswap on a low bb bike. I remember changing from an Echo Pure 04 which actually had a bb drop to an Adamant 06, and it really took me ages to learn to wheelswap smoothly (as in to manual onto the obstacle and not just leave the rear wheel hanging off the edge).