Using Phones In Petrol Stations

clarkytrials

I suppose you just leave your phone on in the hospital too. After all it's not your life thats at risk, so is it really worth the effort of looking for your phone in your pocket and switching it off?

When I go into hospitals my phone is in my pocket so for convenience I will turn it off :)

Cant you do the same on a plane?

Not difficult really

He said his phone is generally in the bottom of his bag on the plane, and bags go in the overhead compartment. I guess if your really lazy it is a bit difficult as you have to possibly ask people to move out the way, get your bag, rummage through it and turn the phone off.

Though quite why you'd have your phone on in your out of reach bag during the flight i don't know.

According to the pilot of the last helicopter I went in, Mobiles with only effect the instruments when actually communicating. Think about how speakers crackle and pulse when you get a text or a phone call near them. That's just some speakers, but if it did it to some sensitive insemination on the plane, it may not drop from the sky instantly, but its not gunna make the pilots life any easier is it. Anyway, at some point you've had to take the thing out of your pocket and put it in the bag knowing it's gunna be on a plane, why not turn it off then?

Don't really believe in the petrol station thing. meh, but like people say, its not worth the risk is it, If I'm gunna use it it's not exactly much effort to just walk like 10ft so I'm out of the forecourt.

He said his phone is generally in the bottom of his bag on the plane, and bags go in the overhead compartment. I guess if your really lazy it is a bit difficult as you have to possibly ask people to move out the way, get your bag, rummage through it and turn the phone off.

Though quite why you'd have your phone on in your out of reach bag during the flight i don't know.

what's wrong with turning it off BEFORE putting it in the bottom of the bag? no need for it to be on if it on the bottom of a bag anyway.

sure it may not make the plane fall to the ground, but why not just obey the rules?

I suppose you just leave your phone on in the hospital too. After all it's not your life thats at risk, so is it really worth the effort of looking for your phone in your pocket and switching it off?

When i was in hospital for 9 days i always had my mobile on with all the "sensitive" equiptment round me... all the nurses were like yea your in a private room it dont matter, just it annoys the people next to you on the ward if your constantly laughing getting texts e.t.c. speaking loudly laughing... blah blah but it don't mater if your in here....... and none of the other nurses said anything... or similar to the ^^^^ .....so doubt its going to kill someone.....

what's wrong with turning it off BEFORE putting it in the bottom of the bag? no need for it to be on if it on the bottom of a bag anyway.

sure it may not make the plane fall to the ground, but why not just obey the rules?

Woah, woah, woah.... its not my bag :lol: I don't have my phone switched on during flights, in fact... i rarely even take my phone with me.

I did have great fun questioning the air stewardess as to why i couldn't listen to my mp3 player. She said we couldn't use music devices that contain a laser, she was a little more educated when she left me B)

I've never heard of that before, sounded pretty silly when I read the first post aswell. You're probably more likely to spontaneously combust.

Well, CCTV recordings of forecourt fires show that those involved have left the nozzle in the tank while filling and, crucially, returned to their seat to either get their wallet or inconveniently ringing mobile phone.

If you're still with this now you'll be thinking, 'How exactly does this cause ignition of petrol fumes?'.

The answer is surprisingly simple and indeed obvious: static electricity. Yes, the action of mostly younger people hopping in and out of their cars wearing synthetic fibres and failing to discharge the static electricity before returning to the nozzle causes a shock and a discharge when they reach for the nozzle. Kaboom! This spark is large enough to create an explosive fire.

So, why are more women than men affected by this phenomenon? Hidden cameras on several forecourts have revealed that women are far more likely to return to the car to collect something (or touch up their lipstick, grab the handbag, get the purse, remove the keys, answer the phone) than men. In fact, they are six times more likely to return to their seat on some errand than men are. Now that was a surprise!

Therein lies the problem, and the solution is simple: when exiting the car, touch the metal to release any static build-up and remember to do it again should you return to the car for any forgotten item - or to answer your phone.

mobile phones... It's not due to sparks in the circuitry.

The reason is because the radio waves sent from and to your phone whilst on a call, can cause a magnetic flux within the buried fuel silo's holding the garage's fuel, IF the silo's contain the precise amount of fuel. It can cause a magnetic resonace that can combust the fuel spontaneously. The chances are very very small, but present.

Apparently...

Whether it's worth thinking about or not, just stay off the phone, as it's not allowed. Not hard to put the tool of anti socialness down for one f**king minute is it...

bongo

When i was in hospital for 9 days i always had my mobile on with all the "sensitive" equiptment round me... all the nurses were like yea your in a private room it dont matter, just it annoys the people next to you on the ward if your constantly laughing getting texts e.t.c. speaking loudly laughing... blah blah but it don't mater if your in here....... and none of the other nurses said anything... or similar to the ^^^^ .....so doubt its going to kill someone.....

You're right to a certain extent. When YOU are in hospital, and you're far enough away from other people to make no difference, use your phone - it would only be your life in danger anyway. Mobiles don't affect many medical instruments, but the DO affect things like ECGs. Unless you know exactly what is and what isn't affected, then I suggest you turn your phone off when in the hospital.

As someone else said, it's probably more about the annoying nature of phones than anything else - It would be a f**king pain in the arse if all the patients spent all day texting.

The other thing is those 'Patientline' machines which cost a fortune both to make and receive calls. If you were allowed use mobiles, Patientline would go out of business pretty quickly I reckon (They're already waaaay in the red :P ).

1. Static from Trousers

Yes it can happen, and it does happen; but not enough to cause ignition. I have the fun responsibilty of health and safety in a factory where we use a lot of solvent based adhesives. We also use foam products, which create a LOT of electro static discharge (more than getting out your car would cause) and the cases where this results in a fire are far between.

Of course, petrol vapour is flammable, although the air/vapour ratio of an outdoor petrol station would be something below any major hazardous concern; but precautions still have to be made.

Static is ELECTRIC and is classed as a voltage, when it reaches a certain voltage, depending on the earthing distance and air levels, it MAY produce an incendiary spark, this is what is required to ignite fuel from a static ignition...but good luck with that.

2. Mobile Phone Discharge

This was the key element in the Petroleum Regulations years and years ago when mobile phones had bigger electronic demand and that a spark was possible. However because of the low powered phones we have now, this regulation is long outdated - but still enforced.

Theres no evidence at all that a mobile phone caused a fire; however this doesn't really say that it's impossible. To change the regulation would be a waste of time...after all, how many of you text people when filling up?

DEA Regualtions also play a big part in this....thought its frigging long and complicated.

The above is fact. Fact.

Edited by anzo