Slyrwear.com

Mr_scott

A lot of people right click to go back etc. There's really no need to do it these days. If someone wants to steal your images they will. Disabling the menu is just an inconvenience along the way.

You can just screenshot or drag the images to your desktop to nick them, don't need to use a right click.

I thought most people used the back button or backspace to go back? Meh.

Are you stupid or just naive? The slang and wording of your text is rediculous. If you ever want to be taken seriously by anyone of any worth sort that bio out - its pathetic. From the right alignment, to the stupid way in which you say things, its just awful and you'll look a total fool if you ever present this to anyone in the graphic design industry.

Your graphics are pretty average ,sure they would sell, but they're just atypical pieces of graphics, nothing new or exciting, but there is potential - it comes across like your discovering new software techniques as you go along, but not implimenting them in a tasteful way.

I worked as a freelance graphic designer last year, and may move into graphics when i complete by degree, but if i worded or described myself as you have done i would have been looked down upon and laughed off, you need to seriously think about presenting yourself in a more professional manner.

Are you stupid or just naive? The slang and wording of your text is rediculous. If you ever want to be taken seriously by anyone of any worth sort that bio out - its pathetic. From the right alignment, to the stupid way in which you say things, its just awful and you'll look a total fool if you ever present this to anyone in the graphic design industry.

Your graphics are pretty average ,sure they would sell, but they're just atypical pieces of graphics, nothing new or exciting, but there is potential - it comes across like your discovering new software techniques as you go along, but not implimenting them in a tasteful way.

I worked as a freelance graphic designer last year, and may move into graphics when i complete by degree, but if i worded or described myself as you have done i would have been looked down upon and laughed off, you need to seriously think about presenting yourself in a more professional manner.

I love comments like yours; I always got ones similar to this when I released my trials videos.

Before my videos I was looked down upon and laughed at.

I released my first set of videos in summer 2002, the riding was average, they 'sold', but they were just typical riding videos, nothing new or exciting, in came the comments. Then, as time went on people started to realise that I wasn’t just any old rider, I was something new and exciting. I’m now known by trials riders all around the World and will be for years to come, and most of all I know myself I have helped push the sport forward to a new level.

I intend, no, I WILL do the same with my graphics work.

As you said, I am discovering new software techniques and trying to implement them in a tasteful way, I have all the time in the world to do so.

Could I possibly see some of your work?

Cheers boss,

Craig.

Yeah you probably will go far, people who tend to be so far up their own arse unfortunately seem to prosper in this world. Good luck to you, although doesn't seem like you need anything or anyone - i've come across lots of people like you, so blinkered that you won't offer anything new - you'd make a good business man.

Also i dont care what or who you are as a trials rider i was commenting on your graphics - your relevance as a trials rider matters little to me.

Yeah you probably will go far, people who tend to be so far up their own arse unfortunately seem to prosper in this world. Good luck to you, although doesn't seem like you need anything or anyone - i've come across lots of people like you, so blinkered that you won't offer anything new - you'd make a good business man.

Also i dont care what or who you are as a trials rider i was commenting on your graphics - your relevance as a trials rider matters little to me.

Ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ, just saw these - "Up their own arse" sounds like a description of yourself. Show us your designs then Mr "I've been in the industry for years and wouldn't wipe my arse on your designs".

Seriously, you sound like a total dick in the two posts you just did.

Even if his stuff isn't "different" it's still good, and not everyone wants new & different stuff. Constructive criticism would have helped Craig, not calling him naive and stupid.

EDIT: The "up his own arse" bit, after reading his post is called determination. Nothing to do with being up his own arse.

I really dont wanna seam like im up craigs ass or just bumming for the sake of it... But... I have to totally disagree with your comments, His work is saleable and from what I can remember (site offline now) it would appeal to a large market.

Im fully aware your teachers at university know better, after all thats why they teach (oh wait, theyre crap I forgot..) Sorry to rain on your parade but your probably being taught everything you dont need to know and loosing the element of design which makes it special.. ie passion and interest.

Even if craig wasnt producing anything worth looking at, having dedication, belief and interest will get you a million times further than any degree.

either way, put your money where your mouth is, lets see this freelance work then.

(as for his abreviations and "unreadable" logos bla bla bla... check out 123klan even 2advanced - both technically bad designs with unreadable elements, both top of the game. FULL STOP.

Edited by br3n

When did i say that i had worked in industry for years. I worked as a freelane graphic designer in my year out, i never profesed to have done it for years only that i have done it professionaly.

For obvious reasons i am unable to pass on my designs as ownership and distributory rights now lie with my clients. Various pieces of my work are in the process of being implimented so i cannot put them out at this stage. Once they are available commericaly then they can be viewed but at this time it would be a breach of rights and it would be unfair on my clients.

I made my comments due to the absurdity of the bio section, it was my opinion on a public forum, Craig had his views on it and thats fine i'm not massively interested in yours.

I would argue that it wasn;t determination rather than shear arrogance, what annoyed me was that when i questioned his work he responded with a ''do you know who i am'' type reply insinuating that his relevance as a trials rider should make me automatically respect him and look at him in a certain way - to me all of what he said came across as very arogant and self opinionated and i was mearly suggesting that this would probably lead to troube in the 'real' graphic design world as clients will tend not to favour this attitude.

If you think i sound like a dick, then so what am i supposed to be affected by that i was giving my opinion on work put up for all to see, i was interested in Craig's response not yours.

I really dont wanna seam like im up craigs ass or just bumming for the sake of it... But... I have to totally disagree with your comments, His work is saleable and from what I can remember (site offline now) it would appeal to a large market.

Im fully aware your teachers at university know better, after all thats why they teach (oh wait, theyre crap I forgot..) Sorry to rain on your parade but your probably being taught everything you dont need to know and loosing the element of design which makes it special.. ie passion and interest.

Even if craig wasnt producing anything worth looking at, having dedication, belief and interest will get you a million times further than any degree.

either way, put your money where your mouth is, lets see this freelance work then.

(as for his abreviations and "unreadable" logos bla bla bla... check out 123klan even 2advanced - both technically bad designs with unreadable elements, both top of the game. FULL STOP.

Sorry to reign on your parade, but having something that is ''saleable'' means nothing to me, sure you can make some money out of it, but thats not what i'm after nor a lot of people are. So if something sells its good? Lok at the music industry the majority of what sells is pure bullshit that appeals to the moronic masses that have no real opinions on what they're listening to - commercially driven, rushed out, drivel. On the other hand there are amazing artists who are making brilliant music which isn't commercially viable therefore it does not sell, does that then make it bad? SO in summary you think if something sells then it must be good?

Also i never said i studied graphic design - I DON'T, so that blows that argument. I have not been taught one thing about graphic design from any of my tutors as it isn't what i do. One thing i must agree with though strongly is that you are 100% correct belief and interest will most defenetly get you further than a degree, that is apparent as i hate my degree and i understand that fully - thats probably why i've had a few graphic design jobs. The only thing a degree helps for is getting those interviews but once your in there they dont matter a bit - so theres arguments for either case.

Hope you can understand about the freelance work.....

what you said (no point wasting another page)

fair play :) good points well made, But still...

I agree about the music industry and yes, the same applies in every industry - The trouble with the graphics side of things is that people employing "designers" to do work from them dont know any better, My dads company paid thousands for this peice of shit.. http://www.nlhlaw.co.uk/site/home/ - he showed me and I laughed.. A Professional company made that and it has about 800 errors on w3c alone :/ I've seen lots of work of a similar standard come from degree students.

Edited by br3n

Yeah i see it everyday, its horrible and sure everyone needs to learn and improve their skills, but your right some degree student stuff is appauling and they are told/and believe they are the next big thing. However there are some amazing students and some absolutely awful professionals.

For instance if i were to show my work once its made commercially available many people here could say that it was awful, not different and so on as its an opinion, but the point is i did exactly what my clients wanted, whether or not i thought it was the best design etc....

That was my problem with craigs work as they were purely self indulgent and i thought they could be less cliched...but then again its all just opinions at the end of the day so who cares what anyone else thinks other than the designer and the person paying for the work....?

Half the battle of being a designer, in particular web work.. Is explaining/convincing clients that there ideas are not really very good, but you need to be able to offer alternatives and reasoning behind it.

Is it just me, but the site is off line...

By the way, br3n, love the stackable lean chair on your site and most of the other stuff too! (Y)

Matthews, you do make some good points, but my main "beef" was how you put them across initially.

You point about the music industry is spot on, so many people say to me "Well they've been number 1 so they can't be that bad!" - Erm, ok.

I just think you should be a bit more subtle in your criticising that's all.

Haha what a total cock!

You could have just told him all that in an inoffensive / constructive criticism mannor.

I do agree about the wording. It may be fine to us 18-25 year olds on here but we kind of feel we know who Craig is 'cos he's been around the trials scene for so long.

If I was an employer, I wouldn't employ anyone who wrote their own Bio like that to be honest. Although it shouldn't be how he writes, it's how good he is at design and illustrations etc, it is usually a big influence as it can reflect someone's attitude.

You could have just told him all that in an inoffensive / constructive criticism mannor.

Yeah I do agree with that. There wasn't any need to be so condescending in the post to be honest.

• 1 month later...