The Music Thread.

Muel

I like all music to be honest, recently been listening to a lot of dark dnb, dub, ska and reggae.

But I will always stay true to Joy Division, The Smiths, David Bowie, The Kinks who f**king OWN.

seriously brilliant taste there, been listening to my distorted bowie vinyls all today haha

and the buzzococks too (Y) one of the best machester bands in my books pete shelly is awesome

Thanks to Angra I managed to stay awake and get more work done, is a weird mix of south american kinda music and metal of sorts.

First time listening to them in almost 3 years is pretty different.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by ZeroMatt

Yeah i like Neil Young. I don't know about other people but amongst my music collection i will go through periods of time where i won't listen to a lot of it as its not what im interested in, then i will come obsessed with it at another point. My taste isn;t changing, just my enjoyment for a band at a particular time will differenciate....i guess thats normal. At the moment i more in to loud, fast and in your face stuff (maybe as a reaction to the bordeom of final year of Uni and the dullest housemates alive) so for me its..

Mars Volta

Ataxia

Chili Peppers

Gang of Four

Jeff Buckley (contradiction i know)

Hendrix

Funkadelic

Smiths (again bit of a contradiction to what i said)

Joy Division

John Frusciante (always)

Stooges

Radiohead (louder stuff)

And possibly Muse now after hearing a bit of the live at Wembley stuff...but this is just a small cross section of stuff i'm currently in to.

im glad so many of you have what i consider to be a great music taste, i just have a hatred for most modern music and just think that it all went downhill from the 90's. i'm proper into the manchester music scene and like a lot of 60's stuff just cant stand this generic pop and modern indie shite at the moment. Its as if the audiences its aimed at are brain dead and will listen to what ever is put in front of them

I can't understand people who like screaming shit. It doesn't make sense, infact I'd rather listen to solja boy then Enter Shikari.. I agree with above^^ I've found my taste going back in time, all the generic crap doesn't have any soul, which is what I have to have in music. Like now, I'm listening to Cat Stevens, when you compare it to a modern artist, it doesn't compare.

Check out John Frusciante if you like Cat Stevens....many people say they sound very similar...i'm not so sure but i know for a fact that John Frusciante is very much a fan of Cat Stevens. Check out his album 'Curtains' thats the one everyone draws comparison on!

The same can be said for metal, all the older metal such as Metallica, Megadeth and Judas Priest, are all so much better than the new stuff like Slipknot etc.

I've gone off screaming stuff, and am starting to prefer stuff like the three bands above where each song tells a story, all the lyrics make sense when you really listen to them.

Iron Maiden are particularly good for telling mythological stories with their songs, but Judas Priest - Nightcrawler has to be my favourite story telling track. (Possibly Leather Rebel though).

Check out John Frusciante if you like Cat Stevens....many people say they sound very similar...i'm not so sure but i know for a fact that John Frusciante is very much a fan of Cat Stevens. Check out his album 'Curtains' thats the one everyone draws comparison on!

I love John Frusciante! When shadows collide with people is an amzing album. I also love the track Murderers. Downloading curtains now :).

The same can be said for metal, all the older metal such as Metallica, Megadeth and Judas Priest, are all so much better than the new stuff like Slipknot etc.

I've gone off screaming stuff, and am starting to prefer stuff like the three bands above where each song tells a story, all the lyrics make sense when you really listen to them.

Iron Maiden are particularly good for telling mythological stories with their songs, but Judas Priest - Nightcrawler has to be my favourite story telling track. (Possibly Leather Rebel though).

I see what you mean, I love Metallica, but I was making a generalization (sp?) about all music. I suppose i could of worded it better.

Ah cool, he's probably my biggest influence as a musician. Check out my music at www.myspace.com/matthewcurrie - see what you think you might like it if you're in to his stuff. Nice to see some people on here with some good taste. Enjoy curtains!

I like anything a bit different.

Screamy stuff is NOT different, it all sounds the same.

I like some Indie and some Electro, hence I love Shy Child - a really good mix of the two, showing that "real" music mixes with dance music nicely.

At the end of the day it is kind of "each to their own" but some stuff is just plain awful.

Screamy stuff is NOT different, it all sounds the same.

You can say that about dance though. You have to listen to a genre properly and then you can tell the difference.

Not having a go, but people always say that metal is the same, it's just screaming, but you can also say dance is just thud thud all the time. But i know it's not cause i listen to it as well.

Ah cool, he's probably my biggest influence as a musician. Check out my music at www.myspace.com/matthewcurrie - see what you think you might like it if you're in to his stuff. Nice to see some people on here with some good taste. Enjoy curtains!

Ah, I love 'An Alterred Perception'. You are very similar to John Frusciante!

You can say that about dance though. You have to listen to a genre properly and then you can tell the difference.

Not having a go, but people always say that metal is the same, it's just screaming, but you can also say dance is just thud thud all the time. But i know it's not cause i listen to it as well.

It's true though, if you listen to Minimal House for example, it does all sound the same - I mix it myself and try and whack other strange things in to break it up a bit because it does all sound similar.

Same with Electro, it can get very samey unless you throw in a Breaks tune or something.

Hence I'm sticking with my opinion of "Screamy" all sounding the same - I'm sure if a good DJ mixed that kind of stuff he'd be able to break it up and make it bearable, but for me it's nasty. I like / used to love System Of A Down because although 70% was loud screaming, the other 30% was well thought out original music and they worked well together.

Of course these are all just opinions, but I like to think I know a fair bit about music - it's my main "hobby".