London Trip

Matthew_Gibson

Me and a female mate (its not my girlfriend) are planning on going to London for a few day. Just need to know a few things. We want a nice yet cheap hotel. Only has to have one (double) bed in. and pretty close to the city centre, maybe a cab journey. (5 mins away)

Also when we get there what's there to do? She want to go to the Tate Mordern, National history Museum. she wants to see a show! some other places to. But where else is cool to visit? I don't mind going to museums, as long as there interesting.

SO I'm open to suggestions, But I'll have to see what she says before hand!!

Thanks guys!

The 'city centre' is a big place!

Leister Square, Soho, Covent Garden at night are all places to see. Oxford Street too

I wouldnt go so far as to say its a BIG place. All the main attractions are withing walking distance of each other.

Avoid Hackney. If you want to see a show get the tickets now as they're always busy.

Hackney isnt as bad as its made out to be. By all means, It is pretty rough. but like you would wanna go to hackney anyways :P

As for tickets..again, there busy, but they dont sell out everynight. You could by tickets on the door, for anything that isnt in its 1st week of showing i reckon.

bloomsbury is shitting expensive.

Its london..simple :P

I wouldnt go so far as to say its a BIG place. All the main attractions are withing walking distance of each other.

Hackney isnt as bad as its made out to be. By all means, It is pretty rough. but like you would wanna go to hackney anyways :P

As for tickets..again, there busy, but they dont sell out everynight. You could by tickets on the door, for anything that isnt in its 1st week of showing i reckon.

Its london..simple :P

I'm from Hackney love. Was really bad when I moved to blackpool 5 years ago.

Hostels ***.

f**k getting a cab anywhere. £5.30(maybe) buys you a travelcard that you can re-use as many times as you want on the day of purchase, or indefinitely if you go by bus at a later date ;)

If you go to the Tate Modern, it's opposite St.Pauls which you can have a look at. Then, walk West along the river (Preferably South side, bit nicer). Check out the little shops and the gallery at the Oxo Tower. Cross over the Hungerford Bridge, takes you through Charing Cross Station, which is right next to Trafalgar Square, and the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery. The Photographers Gallery is also pretty close to there. The V&A Museum's only a short tube right away, as is the National History Museum.

The Design Museum is f**king amazing too, it's east of Tower Bridge (And, as a result, the Tower of London). So yeah, if you went East from Tate Modern there's plenty of shit, go west there's plenty of shit too.

Get involved ;)

You'll probably even spot me somewhere along the Southside of the river...

I personally wouldnt bother with the V&A museum, i found it boring as f**k... But then I'm uncultured.

The Science museum and the Natural History museum are both pretty damn good, as is the Tate Modern.

As for shows/theatre trips, they tend to be well-f**king-expensive (£40 a ticket to some of the ones i've been to) so its worth booking ahead/getting last minute deals/going to a slightly less well known show.

If you get bored for a place to wander round, get the Jubilee line from London Bridge to Canary Wharf (3 stops) as thats a generally nice area with a big shopping centre, nice bars/resturants and is a great place to go exotic car/rich people spotting.

The London Eye is another thing you could think about, thats on the Southbank and is pretty easy to eyeball.

Have fun!

Don't get too hung up on getting a hotel in town. Some people I know stay in Wembley right next to the tube (and outside the congestion zone). Get on the tube and in ten minutes you're right in the heart of things.

Travelcard is a definate must. So cheap to get around fairly easily.

If you want to do the London Eye or Madam Tuessards or anything like that, get tickets in advance. A lot of the longer queues (Especially at Tuessards) are the queue for the ticket office, NOT to get in! Also hunt around for offers for major attractions.

Go to Picadilly Circus in the evening, tick that off your list of things to do in your life. Ditto Covent Garden in the day. If you're after somewhere quick and nice to eat, then Wagamamas is always a hit. If you and your _lady_friend_ want to do something a bit posher than try Top Table to get a reservation and discount at somewhere swanky.

Avoid Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood unless you like cheap food in expensive surroundings. Try Ed's easy diner in Soho or the Hamburger Union in Covent Garden for burgers instead.

Oh, and hunt out a Krispy Kreme or two. Those who know will agree...

I was actualy up there this weekend with the girlfriend...

We went on the London Eye, Harrods, Covent Garden, the 3D Imax cinema next to waterloo station, theres Leiscter square which is where all the big movies and stars go for the premier and like a little fair thing there.

Oh hang on ive got a tray here with things on it! erm its got the tower of london, buckingham palace, st pauls cathedral, big ben, houses of parliament, tower bridge, westminster abbey, hampton court palace.

Hopefully some help!