Where Can You/can You Get 26" Frames...

Jonny Jones

OK I was gonna get a 24", but the entire bike is gonna cost me a fortune, frankly money I dont have or that I need to use to put towards camera kit for work. So ive had the idea of simply changing my Ashton frame for a different, streety frame. No matter how many websites I go on, there's not one frame I have seen that isn't long, without a seat, Deng-ified... you get what I mean. Id just love to see a frame on the market that is for 26" that isnt for sidehops, gaps, drop-gaps and taps, or of the UCI persuasion. Bit of a rant I know but I was speaking with Leon Neil today and he's got hold of a Pace RC250T and an Orange Zero to blitz on (2nd maybe 3rd hand of course) - so its a cry-out from us streety, tech (ish) riders to manufacturers to start making these legendary types of frames again, as, frankly, I can't stand any of these 'modern' trials frames. Something like an Inspired would be great, but for 26" wheels that doesn't cost a fortune like Leech's signiture frame or the Reset. </rant> :)

Perhaps the Czar Freetrials 08?

Click Here

But maybe its still to low, long and costly for what your looking for.

cai

OR I pretty confident my LBS has a brand new Rocket Fab in still. Will probably let it go cheap to clear room (Y)

Linkage it says £200 but I reckon you could get that knocked down (frames page obviously)

If you get a brand new Rocket, it will break within a few months. They had a defect with the design of the gusset between the top and down tubes - meaning it cracked the underside of the toptube in no time. So you'd need to get a frame builder to remove the gusset and/or fit a new toptube for it to last very long.

I've a prime example of one in my garage, with the toptube replaced by Argos cycles and sprayed Orange. It's not mine to sell though ;)

You are aware they weigh 6.5lbs, right?

:o

Edited by boon

Winstanley's have a red pace rc250T with the cross brace between top/downtubes still!! It's been there for at least 5 years, but never been built, and not advertised, so obviously it never sold.

Get onto them and say you'll take it off there hands.

thing is those frames have heavily out-dated geo, what im after is something with the looks of the inspired/old skool running a seat etc (bmx'y look) but with like 1050wb +10bb 385mm stays etc. something that'll be spinny but still useable for trials riding.

Edited by trialsguru

Thanks for everbody's replies!! So helpful its unreal! I'll have a look at how much I have at the end of the month and make a decision. Im SO tempted to ring up about that Pace John! Thanks for the offer Wayne, like I say I'll see where I am financially. This goes for the Pace too, Leon said trade price all those years ago was £420?? I think it still goes though, the 26" frame market needs way more diversity.

local shop here had a brand new zero on the wall when i last saw.. i could pop down and check price/if it's still there.

goes for leon aswell..

I'd like that very much :) if you could find out what theyd like for it that'd be a great help, perhaps remind them how unwanted they are too ;)

Leon

a woodstock was designed by his majesty Mr Akrigg???? ;) is that not street enough for you ;)LOL :lol:

Iv PM@'d you a price on the Norco Jonny. The pace's are expensive but they were hand made in Yorkshire. wacked together with a hammer and guiding nails (Y):)

Anyway iv got an old pace in the shed at home, i think i have the one out of Contact (dual disc frame) and also the one he used at many moons bike show ago.

Wayne.

It's all so true!

I was in a similar situation a year ago when I broke the MAD frame I had... didn't really know what to do. Was tempted by a Base but I had heard they snapped and was sick of the heartache of snapping frames. And there bascially was nothing else out there!

In the end I got Iolo to make me one, 1040, 73, 385, +10, bascially cos it was cheaper than a Leeson, and I justified the extra money over a production frame by thinking it was steel so I could just get it welded when it broke. I'm 1 weld in so far! Last I heard he was too busy to do anything frame related though, I had to get a random metalworker to fix mine.

The other way to go is buy something old it seems, although old stuff tends to have mega chainstays... my friend Gilly has been buying Giant Team Trials frames to ride (and spares!) whenever he can find them, loves it.

Anyway best of luck and trials companies take note!

ps Onza Spyrogyra actually doesn't look half bad to me, but you said you're not an Onza fan. Why not out of interest?

Edited by Tommy d

Well im not an onza fan either,guessits a bit of a tarnished reputation i suppose for me, i've been riding since the only things onza made were the H.O cantilever brakes and grips. I've just seen all onza frames bought & break so quickly, In all honesty the old t raptor looks like it'd ride ok, but its not gonna last me 5 mins.

If the woodstocks wheelbase is less than 1030 id possibly be interested, but again i've heard that they're weak, i'd just have thought theyd be making stronger frames by now considering they were about way before deng etc, although i cant remember when exactly they started making frames.

Couldnt deng just make one street frame? 1025 wb 390 stays, lovely :)

lEON

Edited by LEON

Depends what you use it for, its not a 60 inch sidehop bike, course its gonna be too short for hoppy tech stuff

Mine feels perfect for how i ride.

My gu 1100 was nice for the hoppy stuff but a joke for anything else

Leon

Edited by LEON