20" Or 26" Why ?

SWEENY TODD

HI GUYS,ok could you please tell me weather to buy a 20" or a 26" trials bike ,and why you would go for that size?

im 6ft and have always rode mtb,last week i lent my mates bmx which i found tiny but heavy,i no they are a total different bike but it was just the size ,so have you say please

hey

i would personaly go mod (20") i think its a much better bike to start on IN MY OPINION

thats what i done and hopefully when i get good :P i will go stock as well

but really what you prefer.

stock (26") tends to focus more on tapping or rear wheeling stuff i think :turned:

but anyway good luck with it all

..rob..

I'd go for a 20".

Don't let your height put you off, i'm also tall at 6ft and 1", and 20" is no problem at all.

BMX's are completely different geometys and lenghts to trials bikes, meaning the feel nothing alike!

here are some other pros and cons of 20" and 26" - Mod Vs Stock

What bike have you been looking at? i started on the 07 onza t-comp (a 20" bike), its a great bike to learn on.

cai

Edited by cai

id go for a 20" either a adamant A3 or echo Lite (Y) i find that 20"'s are generally alot easier to use the 26"'s some people may disagree with me but i find that they are alot lighter and the geometry of them are better than 26" frames also 26"s seem big and bulky to me again some of you may disagree but thats my opinion

hope this helps (Y)

stock (26") tends to focus more on tapping or rear wheeling stuff i think :turned:

No they don't.

Thats like me saying mods are just for sidehopping.

The majority of the really big riders (Neil Tunnicliffe, Damon Watson etc) ride stocks..

ok i keep looking at the onza range 20" donot ask me why,everybody seems to start on these?

People start on these because their cheap and you get good parts for your money

Personally I think when people say 'I ride mods because I'm 5ft4' is a load of bollocks.

An average reach (from bb to headtube) on a mod is what, about 610mm? Average stock reach is about 660mm?

Mod stems usually are like 50mm longer than stock stems.. So they effectively feel about the same length...

In my opinion, people get mods because they want a lighter bike because their too weak to ride stocks.

I'm not saying I don't like mods or whatever, i find riding them is a lot of fun.. But stock is just cooler B)

No they don't.

Thats like me saying mods are just for sidehopping.

The majority of the really big riders (Neil Tunnicliffe, Damon Watson etc) ride stocks..

People start on these because their cheap and you get good parts for your money

Personally I think when people say 'I ride mods because I'm 5ft4' is a load of bollocks.

An average reach (from bb to headtube) on a mod is what, about 610mm? Average stock reach is about 660mm?

Mod stems usually are like 50mm longer than stock stems.. So they effectively feel about the same length...

In my opinion, people get mods because they want a lighter bike because their too weak to ride stocks.

I'm not saying I don't like mods or whatever, i find riding them is a lot of fun.. But stock is just cooler B)

Someone is trying really hard for validation :P lmao

20 or 26 isn't about anything or than preference mate. its not about height and its definitely not about being to weak for one or the other. i ride both and just prefer the 20. thats not to say theres anything i can do on the 20 that i cant do on its big brother. to add to that my 20 is heavier than the other. have a go on both and see which your more comfortable on. watch Neil t and CLS videos, they go can both scale some massive gaps,drops etc etc but have slightly different attacks. may help push you one way or the other.

Go 26", I'm 6 ft 2 and ride a stock. Riding my mates 20" just feels abit wrong as I'm so bent over. Unless you bought a really long Mod (I'm presuming your not going for one of the more expensive frames as your a beginner)

I reacon anyone over 6 foot looks like the hunch back of Notre Dame on a Mod.

Phil

Don't buy a giant, unless you mean the NEW NEW ones that aren't available in the UK yet. Waaay to old school and naff.

Don't buy a mod either. I used to ride a mod, started on one etc. Biggest waste of 2 years ever. Since I went stock I've improved about 10 times faster.

Get a stock, somebody made the valid point that there are practically no amazing mod riders. This must tell us something?

Get a stock.

Don't buy a mod either. I used to ride a mod, started on one etc. Biggest waste of 2 years ever. Since I went stock I've improved about 10 times faster.

Get a stock, somebody made the valid point that there are practically no amazing mod riders. This must tell us something?

How can you really say riding 20" was a waste of 2 years, maybe to you but not to other people :huh: Other people may find it much easier than riding a stock will ever be for them.

Craig Lee Scott rides a mod sooo nice and Dave he rides it awesome and there are some really smooth riders on here with mods.

You cant just say hes going to waste his time on a mod because your not him.

Not starting anything like ;) but its really up to him, if you find a 26" too big and hard to control maybe a long mod, its totally personal preference, maybe go to some rides if there are any near you and test out some bikes that people have there I'm sure some riders will be willing to let you have a quick go and see which you prefer.

Brad.

If you went on a bmx and noted that it felt small then i'd advise not getting a mod. Besdies, they're for beginners and weedy guys so don't bother with them as you'll get too bored of it quick.

A stock is much more versatile, can do all the same moves as a mod, plus some extra ones that don't really work on the smaller kiddies bikes like front taps etc and for generally riding stuff their a fair bit easier due to the wheel size. Mods are marginally lighter but your also starting closer to the ground so its not that much of an issue.

I'd go for a 26", i reckon you'd regret getting a little bike.

If you went on a bmx and noted that it felt small then i'd advise not getting a mod. Besdies, they're for beginners and weedy guys so don't bother with them as you'll get too bored of it quick.

A stock is much more versatile, can do all the same moves as a mod, plus some extra ones that don't really work on the smaller kiddies bikes like front taps etc and for generally riding stuff their a fair bit easier due to the wheel size. Mods are marginally lighter but your also starting closer to the ground so its not that much of an issue.

I'd go for a 26", i reckon you'd regret getting a little bike.

same here i hate riding my bros t-bird its just way to small (and to hard to ride (Y) )

just go for stock because there much more stable

Edited by T-REX FATTIMA

Stocks a hell of a lot more practical as well...if say, you got bored of trials you've still got something to actually ride ( as you'd be looking at the low end of the market, you might get a biek with a seat, and probably gears ) whereas with a mod they are so specific its nigh on imposssible to use em for anything else but trials....

Stocks are far more versatile as well....the range of moves on a stock is far greater than that of a mod ......

ok lads thanks think i will go for a 262 stock thanks

good choice, there a bit harder to ride but everything looks alot better on them and its a fact that stock riders will be stronger than mod riders because they will be tanking a big bike instead of a wee one.

ive changed back and forth a few times but atm im staying stock for a good while :D

also everyone ive met who has started on stock has got good very fast.