Car Modding Advise - Noob Here

Egg Fried Rice

Hey guys.

I am due to get a car soon after waiting months and months and as a typical teenager i am looking to do it up. But i would just like some help on a few questions and hopefully some of you guys can help me! I admit i am a complete noob so bare with me lol

first of all...

- What is an offset on a wheel?

secondlyyy

- I have 2 x subs, which have a max watt of 300 each and 2 x 6by9's that 140 each, what amplifier do i need? I could go 4 channel or 2 x's 2 channel amps but i still get confused with all these numbers lol

and last of alll

Lowering springs....full kit? or just the springs? if i just use the springs, will it be suitable with my original shocks? or is it best to buy a full kit.

thats it really, thanks people.

JK

Edited by Johnson Kan

Offset is the distance in mm between the wheels centre vertical line is and where the mounts are. I wasn't 100% so googled, and this bollocks as f**k explanation popped up. Pretty simple concept though.

The offset, measured in millimeters, can be negative or positive, and is the distance from the mounting surface to the rim's true centerline. A positive offset means the wheel is front of the mounting surface, closer to the center of the fender; a negative offset means the wheel is away from the mounting surface and projecting from the fender. Offset affects the scrub radius of the steering and it is advisable to stay within the limits allowed by the vehicle manufacturer. However, if tires are fitted which are significantly wider than those specified by the manufacturer, a compromise may have to be adopted whereby a wheel with less offset is used to prevent the tire rubbing on the suspension.

Is the wattage at max or rms?

First off, 6x9's are shit, read any decent audio forum to learn this fact, how ever, dealing with them, you want to go under the wattage the unit can take. If RMS is 300, you ideally want to go 280 odd. Get a more powerful amp as running it as max will kill it quickly. My knowledge on ICE is extremely limited though so best to wait for someone with a clue.

As for lowering, depends if you want it to actually handle or just be low.

For example, i was looking at lowering springs earlier as a mate was saying how uncomfortable the ride was in his 40mm low Saxo. After a bit of digging i still didn't find the spring rates of the koni springs, but i did find a rough figure of 240lb/in. The higher the number the harder the ride. For comparison, my coilovers are 6kg/mm and 10kg/mm rear and fronts. The front which has the more weight and therefore running the 6's works out to be 335lb/in.

You see what i'm getting at here? A saxo driver lowered on springs may be low but i'll still easily out handle it because my springs rates are a lot higher so less body roll and rebound.

If how ever you are just concerned about lowering and not how it effects the car, then go onto car specific forums, the question would of been asked a hundred times and answered a lot more thoroughly then we ever could.

I know, which means a lot of people are driving without insurance. Why pay £1500-2000 for your first years insurance if its going to be void in the event of a claim?

people do it because they can't afford to pay the extra ontop of the 1500-2000 if mods are declared. and the fact that having insurance allows them to drive on the road, not legally but just the fact that they have it, allows them.

i'm not saying i agree with witholding details, just saying.. :)

people do it because they can't afford to pay the extra ontop of the 1500-2000 if mods are declared. and the fact that having insurance allows them to drive on the road, not legally but just the fact that they have it, allows them.

ide love to go crazy with my car, but i cant afford it and wont be able to for a good few years. Roll on when im 19, HIC here i come.

I know why, it just doesnt get tham as far as they think it does. Pet hate of mine!

I know why, it just doesnt get tham as far as they think it does. Pet hate of mine!

i see what your saying, and it is illegal but you have to admit insurance is a con. £1500-2000 and then an extra 500 for what most people will have modification wise. If you think, paying an average of £1000 a year over 10 years and you dont have a claim, thats £10000 down the pan! Personally i think insurance should be scrapped apart from theft and fire cover, or at least made optional! I see it as you crash, whoevers fault it was pays, cars get fixed. Done. Works out a lot better than pissing money away for insurance you may not need.

people do it because they can't afford to pay the extra ontop of the 1500-2000 if mods are declared.

Then they can't afford the mods. It's like buying a car that does 5mpg when you can't afford the petrol.

Heck, what's wrong with standard?

And why put in a big stereo? A car is probably the worst place to listen to a good stereo, especially if your 5" exhaust is droning all through the cabin, and you've got your window wound down despite the fact it's snowing.

And another thing, why is the quality of music in cars always inversely proportional to the volume it's being played at? Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems or Xtreme 'Ardcore 08 doesn't suddenly sound good because you can't hear your ears bleeding. That said, once I drove into a car park, wound the window down to get the ticket, then turned the stereo up because The Archers was just starting... Got some smiles off normal, sensible people who appreciated the irony.

If you want a good stereo, buy a good stereo. Then put it in a nice, quiet, stationary room, and listen to it. Similarly, if you want a car that handles well either spend the money on a proper suspension kit and get the geometry set up right, or buy a car that handles well in the first place.

Do it properly, or don't do it at all.

i see what your saying, and it is illegal but you have to admit insurance is a con. £1500-2000 and then an extra 500 for what most people will have modification wise. If you think, paying an average of £1000 a year over 10 years and you dont have a claim, thats £10000 down the pan! Personally i think insurance should be scrapped apart from theft and fire cover, or at least made optional! I see it as you crash, whoevers fault it was pays, cars get fixed. Done. Works out a lot better than pissing money away for insurance you may not need.

"May not need" is the key thing there - statistics show that if you're in your first year of driving, you're ridiculously likely to have a crash. Couple that with an upgraded car you might not be able to drive to it's full potential, and the odds aren't stacked in your favour. The whole point about insurance is that if you do crash, it's there and you're not totally f**ked. Bear in mind it's not just your car it'd be paying for. Having ridden around London a lot in the past 2 years, people do f**king ridiculously stupid stuff in cars, and all it'd take is for someone to do that to you and you've just lost your insurance, and possibly your car. £500 extra for a mod is better than £0 and 0 car.

And Chris, I approve :P

What a selfish view. You know why insurance is so expensive? It's not the value of the car, it's the queue of people you could run over. It's the person who can't work for a year because you were trying to find a map in the glovebox. Could you afford to cover the loss of earnings someone is facing for the rest of their life?

I used to work for someone who was once Britain's best hope for a pro road racer. He got hit by a car, and had to give up an International pro riding career. He got a pay out to cover what he could have earnt as a pro, but he'll never get to ride the Tour de France or a classic road race.

It's not £10,000 wasted over ten years, it's insurance against something bad happening as you own a vehicle that can injur and kill people.

What if you hit a £100,000 car, and a dealer asks you for £50,000 to make it road worthy again? How are you going to pay?

There's a reason why third party cover is a legal minimum. If you're worried about pissing money away, why pay for theft and fire cover? Isn't it cheaper just to park it somewhere safe?

"May not need" is the key thing there - statistics show that if you're in your first year of driving, you're ridiculously likely to have a crash. Couple that with an upgraded car you might not be able to drive to it's full potential, and the odds aren't stacked in your favour. The whole point about insurance is that if you do crash, it's there and you're not totally f**ked. Bear in mind it's not just your car it'd be paying for. Having ridden around London a lot in the past 2 years, people do f**king ridiculously stupid stuff in cars, and all it'd take is for someone to do that to you and you've just lost your insurance, and possibly your car. £500 extra for a mod is better than £0 and 0 car.

And Chris, I approve :P

I see what your saying, but then again if having no insurance was legal and you had one bump in 10 years, lets say thats the average interval for a car driver having a crash, you would look back and say i just wasted 10 years worth of money to have a £2000 car fixed. I couldve saved £8000 by not bothering! and thats only if the person you were hit by does the offs! On the other hand if you didnt have insurance and you went into the back of someone and had to pay 4000 to get the cars fixed, so what, you didnt have insurance so then so be it so you pay. And even then, again if that happens once in 10 years, yet again you've effectively wasted £6000.

Of course if you crash every year, you should invest in some insurance! :P

<Rant>

Hehe, Chris you are officially an old giffer.

I agree 100% though :rolleyes:

However, I like the idea of a good stereo in a car. It's the one place where you're often alone with time to kill and nothing else to do. So listening to some music makes sense. However, as far as I can tell, most people just want to play shite really loudly, rather than actually have a decent-sounding setup so my argument is a bit irrelevant.

I see what your saying, but then again if having no insurance was legal and you had one bump in 10 years, lets say thats the average interval for a car driver having a crash, you would look back and say i just wasted 10 years worth of money to have a £2000 car fixed. I couldve saved £8000 by not bothering! and thats only if the person you were hit by does the offs! On the other hand if you didnt have insurance and you went into the back of someone and had to pay 4000 to get the cars fixed, so what, you didnt have insurance so then so be it so you pay. And even then, again if that happens once in 10 years, yet again you've effectively wasted £6000.

Surely you can see that the insurance companies are there as a backup for when things go spectacularly wrong? Like when you run into the back of someone, writing off their (£20k) car and giving them whiplash (another £30k). It's not 'wasted' money, that's a really stupid way of thinking of it :S

If the cost of insurance is too much for you, then don't drive. Simple as that.