Singapore Stop

planet x alan

Heard about these a few years back...

few questions.

How exactly is it done?

Can i do it myself?

If not, who can?

How much will it cost?

And am i right in thinking that they work a lot better than a standard grind, last longer and are quieter?

I did search this but nothing relevant came up.

Cheers

Suposidly it wasnt knurled, i remember the topic and the lad said he was told how to do it but wasnt allowed to tell anyone else. Yeah there was a dx32 if i remember rightly either machined or knurled but suposidly it wasnt done like that.

Ah yeah i remember that aswell now, any chance of someone finding the topic?

it would be interesting, but, loads of people like ground rims, so maybe manufacturers should make rims knurled?

I think knurling your rims would be better than grinds, but if you were to do it, the pressure needed to make the knurl work could possibly collapse the walls. After all, rims aren't really made to withstand being squashed from the side like that, its a force that is pretty much non-existent on a bike

It was CNC machined on the DX32 that your talking about. I started or at leats posted in a topic about it when I first joined here, some arsehole said it was knurled, he clearly hadn't read the original thread on OTN. but yeh, not really a cost effective option....

Looks good.

I thought the idea behind the grind was to create 'sharp' edges on the surface to bite into the pad materials. Surely a surface like that would require a softer pad to mould to the shape, I can't imagine it being very 'sharp'. It also looks very deep, wouldn't thicker sidewalls be needed to hold the strength?

trust me, its a rough as a bears arse after a phat shit

That was a photograph of the sample. Worked very effectively. You can only do this process by such CNC machining. The most effective format and profiles would need a lot of trial and error.

You cannot Knurl a rim surface. Knurling is effectively an embossing process and requires back support for the surface being knurled other than on a totally solid profile. The only possible way to knurl would be onto the flat sheet before the rim is profiled and as only steel rims are produced in this way and most rim profiles these days are extruded alloy, that also doesn't work.

• 1 month later...
Singapore Stop?!

That names mad gay, son.

I think everyone decided that a grinder is a much better option.

Maybe someone from Singapore made it? But I have to agree (though I'm from Singapore), that the name sounds a little gay.