My Car Is f**ked Help Me

munkee

Right.. to say my car since i bought it new 2 years ago has had a hard life is a understatement. Straight out the box i drove it like a twat.. and it seems now im paying the price.

problem one..accelerating off the start in first is all fun until i try to change in to second.. gearbox now crunches.. i thought it was just me being crayon special and not being able to press the clutch down proper.. sadly this isnt the case. All other gears are fine.. its been happening like.. a month and half now and as much fun as it is to get in gear i dont want it dieing. So any suggestions as to whats f**ked?

secondly.. the brakes.. the shittest things ever made ever... whats the best way to tell if they are worn enough to get a new set? the actual disc.. the metal bit has a nice lip on it now.. kinda how my civic felt when i took it for a mot and they wouldnt let me drive it away.. but can i just whip the wheel off and discover myself that i need a new set?

steering.. this is a odd one. Some times the steering feels heavy.. sometimes the steering feels like it wants to go off in its own direction a bit (motorway driving) and other times it feels perfecly fine.. oh and then sometimes it like... wobbles.. like the steering wheel vibrates. Suggestions? tracking?

Also! finally as of yesterday.. when i brake hard.. coming up to roundabout off a motorway.. my oil light comes on. Simple case of more oil? or is there something drastically bad happening now?

As you can tell i know f**k all about cars. i enjoy the driving bit.. but not got a clue otherwise.

hmm not sure on the first one but it sounds bad, brakes you can check you might be able to find out something about that on the net, could be something simple like pads or disks might be quite bad though as for steering it could be something fairly minor or your whole car could be f**ked.

I'm no mechanic but steering wise those are all simtoms of a badly balanced wheel, no?

can I suggest that you get most of it sorted and buy something abit more up to the job because 2 years to basically ruin a car is pretty bad

Edited by G4vyn

Also! finally as of yesterday.. when i brake hard.. coming up to roundabout off a motorway.. my oil light comes on. Simple case of more oil? or is there something drastically bad happening now?

As you can tell i know f**k all about cars. i enjoy the driving bit.. but not got a clue otherwise.

Usually just means its teetering on the oil level, so when you brake the oil goes towards the front of the car and the sensor things theres none in there.

Cheack oil levels, its likely to be on the lower limit... Then slosh some new stuff in and you're ready to rock.

to me, new cars should be serviced by a proper garage, every 1 year, for the first 4 years.. then after that, they dont need it lol...

So best bet is to either take it to a gaage and find out whats wrong, or get it checked by a mate, whos an ACTUAL mechanic, if you have one.. to see if he knows whats wrong...

To me, the gearbox sounds like it might need some fresh oil? or an oil change... either that, or you've just mashed up second gear :Plol

Yeah, you should be able to tell if your brakes are worn, by taking the wheel off, feeling if there is quite a large lip on the outer of the disk, and seeing if theres much meat left on the pads...

The oil light might just mean your running outa oil... check it asap, and get an oil change... should sort it...

Cheers, rob...

Im wondering ... if this oil level thing is low.. maybe thats why the gearbox is f**ked? not enough oil in there either?

Sounds about right.

Pads and discs, how long since oyu had a new set? If its been 2 years then they'll just be nackered. Get a new set on there.

Gearbox - Second gear crunch will either be a lack of oil, or a knackered synchromesh due to a prolonged lack of oil/driving like a tool, try topping the oil up first off, if that doesn't cure/improve it, chances are it's just gonna get worse and worse til it dies in a spectacular guts on road fashion.

Brakes - Do they feel spongy, or does nothing happen at all? Any worrying noises? Whip the wheel off, have a look at the pads, new pads have about a CM of padness, old pads will be down much closer to the metal backings, also check the discs for lips and scoring, if discs and pads seem in order, check your actual brake fluid level - top up accordingly. If all of the above are in order, try bleeding the brakes. If all of those fail to improve you'll need to be looking at your servo's and such, which I'm not so hot on...

Steering - You realise steering will always be easier at higher speeds? First off check the tyre pressures. Does it have power steering? If so check fluid level again if it's not that maybe a faulty pump. If it has no power steering then eat more spinach to deal with menouvers.

If it's wondering off without you, it's almost certainly the tracking

Wobbling will be unbalanced, or buckled wheel(s) or warped brake disc(s)

Oil light - Check your oil level (dipstick should be easy to find under the bonet - usually has a bright coloured handle) top up accordingly. If the oil level is fine, then I would suspect a dodgy pressure sender

Out of interest, what car is it?

:)

Edited by Jolfa

problem one..accelerating off the start in first is all fun until i try to change in to second.. gearbox now crunches.. i thought it was just me being crayon special and not being able to press the clutch down proper.. sadly this isnt the case. All other gears are fine.. its been happening like.. a month and half now and as much fun as it is to get in gear i dont want it dieing. So any suggestions as to whats f**ked?

Worn synchro perhaps. A garage job.

secondly.. the brakes.. the shittest things ever made ever... whats the best way to tell if they are worn enough to get a new set? the actual disc.. the metal bit has a nice lip on it now.. kinda how my civic felt when i took it for a mot and they wouldnt let me drive it away.. but can i just whip the wheel off and discover myself that i need a new set?

If there's a lip on your disc, change them right away. Might want to check your pads too, a new set of discs and pads should sort you out - could be a nice distance between the worn discs and pads which isn't helping you stop any sooner.

steering.. this is a odd one. Some times the steering feels heavy.. sometimes the steering feels like it wants to go off in its own direction a bit (motorway driving) and other times it feels perfecly fine.. oh and then sometimes it like... wobbles.. like the steering wheel vibrates. Suggestions? tracking?

Vibrating steering wheel most likely means unbalanced wheels (which yours are bound to be, let's face it Chris ;)) so a new set or having your current ones balanced should sort it. As for heavy and sometimes light - is there ever a squealing noise from under the hood, perhaps when you start it up? If so you could need a belt replacing, which when it slips can cause heavy steering.

Check your brake fluid.

Out of interest, what car is it?

:)

err hyundai coupe 2.0se errr 2003 model i think.. one of these http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide...buron_ext_1.jpg

anyway errr yea.. i think the major thing right now then is new oil/more oil... so ill walk in to uni today cos its proper cold

andddd new brakes... the cars always had trouble ever since i got in it.. used the 5 year warrantly like 4 times now.. korean shite

Yeah, agreed. Get new discs and pads, change your oil, Check your power steering fluid and break fluid, get your tracking done and get your wheels balanced as a start. (where to check oil/break fluid/power steering fluid should all be in the owners manual)

The gear thing you should get a garage to check out really. Although worth topping up the oil and seeing if it goes away.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned checking to see if your power steering fluid levels are correct, it'll turn fine for a bit of the travel and get gradually harder as it runs out of fluid

check the engine oil, before you bother replacing any of the other parts, if the gearbox still plays up, then take it to a garage and see what sort of price it would be to fix it (then if its more than you think you want to pay, you wont have wasted money on lovely new discs, tyres, etc)

if its only happening on 1st > 2nd, then a worn syncromesh is probably the cause. honest opinion. change the gearbox oil. dont do anything more. the cost of getting the box reconditioned. will be several hundred pounds(gearbox overhauls are a dieing trade, and the labour time of it will be 4-5 hours easy,at £50+ an hour) and you wont find anyone willing to do it on the cheap as a favour. i can strip down and build gearboxes etc. right down to shafts with no gears on, and back up. would i ever do it on my own car. would i bollox.

you can get minimum disc thicknesses.(if your really arsed ill get them for you tomorrow from work). but if there worn, to the point of there being a sizeable lip on there, or ridges in the disc, change them. but id probably change them anyway as after 2 years of driving, the chances there not warped/severely cooked is slim to none)

shaking/pulling steering problem could be a wheel balance issue, or it could be something bent. (bottom arm or the like)

but if youve been giving the car a thrash constantly, id say just whack new discs and pads on it. change the gearbox oil, engine oil and filter. then get the wheels balanced and tracked.

all apart from wheel balancing and tracking, are easy enough to do for a semi competent person at home if they got a decent set of tools(or you should be able to find a mate whod do it for a foreigner for you)

(as a rough guide, if i was doing that for a mate. id want £60-£70 + the cost of parts (£20-25ish for pads, £40-50 for discs. £5 for oil filter. £10 for engine oil, and god knows how much for gearbox oil, i dont think ive ever bought any) so your loooking probably at 150-200 for all the stuff apart from wheel balancing and tracking. (another £30-£40)