Single Piston Rim Brake?

Zordon

Before falling asleep the other day, I was thinking, as everyday, about bikes. Avid Bb7s have only one pad moving, the other is fixed and it's one of the most powerful brake in trials.

So what if it could be used in a rim braking too? I mean, on one side there would be still a hs33 piston but on the other there would be only a kind of pad mounting. The lever should be changed (probably to some disc one as they have smaller pistons) to retain the same hydraulic leverage.

A rotor has some flex, a wheel has it too so the moving pad would hit the rim and bent it so it hit the fixed pad. The same principle as in the bb7.

Benefits - lower weight, easier setup, less problems with leaking.

What do you think?

Dont think it would work to well, because a disk when you get it is perfectly striaght and the movement of it with a bb7 doesnt put much stress on it. Wheels are always going out of shape and needing trueing so you mouldnt be able to get the non moving pad close enough to the rim without it rubbing and there being hardly movement in the rim being pushed over. It would put alot of stress on spokes as the rim will be pushed over so far and youll get a spongy feel at the lever as you feel the pad pushing the rim over.

take it one step further and do like a car brake:

As one piston pushes out, its rigidly connected to the pad on the other side which gets pulled in towards the disc. That I guess would be proper hard to make cos of the size of the tyre to overcome lol but maybe.. one day...

Before falling asleep the other day, I was thinking, as everyday, about bikes. Avid Bb7s have only one pad moving, the other is fixed and it's one of the most powerful brake in trials.

So what if it could be used in a rim braking too? I mean, on one side there would be still a hs33 piston but on the other there would be only a kind of pad mounting. The lever should be changed (probably to some disc one as they have smaller pistons) to retain the same hydraulic leverage.

A rotor has some flex, a wheel has it too so the moving pad would hit the rim and bent it so it hit the fixed pad. The same principle as in the bb7.

Benefits - lower weight, easier setup, less problems with leaking.

What do you think?

You wouldn't save enough weight to matter, would be harder to set up (you'd have to play with wheel truing etc every 5 mins) and same problems with leaking, unless you're talking about the lack of a crossover, but theres still a hose from the lever to the one piston.

I dout it would work, with a disk there is two pads close together, hitting a rotor. The distance is like mm's. So with a rim brake, you would need to have one side close to the rim whilst the other side pushed across, this would mean as soon as you buckle a rim, you need it either straightend or a new rim. Also it would mean the wheel needs to move or flex enough for the rim to hit the non moving side, this would mean if you run a booster, which is designed to stop this you could also have other problems. I dont think i described it right, but my head nows what i mean :P haha

I dout it would work, with a disk there is two pads close together, hitting a rotor. The distance is like mm's. So with a rim brake, you would need to have one side close to the rim whilst the other side pushed across, this would mean as soon as you buckle a rim, you need it either straightend or a new rim. Also it would mean the wheel needs to move or flex enough for the rim to hit the non moving side, this would mean if you run a booster, which is designed to stop this you could also have other problems. I dont think i described it right, but my head nows what i mean :P haha

You heads wrong a brake booster will never stop the wheel moving. Its there to stop the frame pushing out when the brakes push in.

take it one step further and do like a car brake:

As one piston pushes out, its rigidly connected to the pad on the other side which gets pulled in towards the disc. That I guess would be proper hard to make cos of the size of the tyre to overcome lol but maybe.. one day...

Floating caliper? ;)

Definitely worth looking into, but I don't know how feasable it could be in this situation really, though I guess you could incorporate a 'booster' and the 'caliper' together to a certain extent