The Recommend A Book Thread

Mr Plod

Tucker Max - I hope they serve beer in hell

Read this last summer, proper funny book. Not sure i believe all of them but still real funny, you can read all the stories in the book from his site for free.

Danny Wallace - Yes Man

A lot better than the film!

Last book I read was "Ron Haslem- Rocket men"

Motorbike enthusiasts will know it (or at least Ron's name)

Not into reading novels or anything, not got the patience to just sit there and pour over a massively long book. Used to be able to when I was like 12 or 13, now I just read magazines.

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

Not much of a reader, but this was one I couldn't put down and it made me think. A young shepherd dreams of a distant treasure in Egypt. He leaves Spain to literally follow his dream regardless of what life throws at him. Kinda spiritual, but not religious. A neat ending too. :)

"The Hot Rock" by Donald E. Westlake

This was the only other book so far that I actually liked. A group of professional thieves get into an amazing and seemingly never-ending diamond heist. Pretty funny with good characters.

Tucker Max - I hope they serve beer in hell

Read this last summer, proper funny book. Not sure i believe all of them but still real funny, you can read all the stories in the book from his site for free.

Danny Wallace - Yes Man

A lot better than the film!

Borrowed that book off an ex, read it too and from her house on the bus. It was definitely a good read.

I tend not to read much fiction these days, but when I was younger I hammered my way all but a few of Stephen King’s books in a matter of months. The Talisman was quite cool, but it has to be all about The Stand. It’s about a virus that wipes about the majority of the USA’s population (and probably the world’s too), the rise of two separate settlements of people (one good one evil – obviously) and the ensuing struggle. Sounds a bit crap when you describe it in that amount of detail, but I’ve read that book maybe four or five times and it gets better every time. It’s the only book I’ve read more than once I think. Completely shits over the TV mini-series that was based on it, but I guess that’s usually the case.

Another fiction; We Need to Talk About Kevin. I know it’s been mentioned already, but I cannot stress enough how good this book is. It gets off to a slow start, but once it got rolling I couldn’t put it down. I think there’s a film in production at the moment.

At the moment I’m reading The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson. It’s a selection of a few of his different works and makes me laugh with every turn of the page. Basically, for those of you who don’t know who he was, Hunter S. Thompson was an American sports reporter who was very liberal in his views concerning politics, drugs and I suppose, fun and good times. He was the inventor of ‘Gonzo Journalism’ which is essentially a very subjective way of reporting a story, often with both fact and fictional balled into one to kind of get across the vibe of the article. That was poorly explained, but the best I can do on no sleep. A number of his books tend to track his drug and alcohol crazed adventures whilst he’s supposed to be writing articles for sports magazines. Highlights so far include him and an English sketch-artist stealing a rowing boat so they can write ‘f**k the Pope’ on the side of an Australian yacht at a boat show, and also the way he constantly expresses his disgust for Richard Nixon. Aside from the drugs and booze, there are a lot of interesting political and sociological ideas in there.

Next up its Rare Earth I think. That’s about this.

Oh yeah, and quickly, one of my favourite books of all time has to be Prometheus Rising (cheers ben ;)). Read it.

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge- Awesome book, flows through the story really quickly so keeps you intrested and a great story.

The Beach by Nick Garland- Don't be put off by the shit film, book is great.

Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris. It's really well written, done in an original style, and the way it talks about people in the story's firm being made redundant is surprisingly relevant to today's world. Definitely worth reading.

If you want to challenge yourself in your reading, have a go at either A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess or The Trial by Franz Kafka. Both are really engaging books but they don't do the reader any favours, you really have to think hard as you're reading them.

For general fun, can't beat Terry Pratchet. His discworld series is simply phenominal (I think someone once said it was the single most prolific 'series' of books of all time) and so much fun to read. But please read it from the beginning (Colour of Magic or if you can find it, Strata).

And possibly my favourite series of all time; Robin Hobb's Assassin Series. Consists of three trilogies (thats nine books if that was confusing) which documents the story of one man Fitz, from birth to death, and encountrers dragons, kings, assassins, wolves, invaders, talking ships, soulless townsfolk and everything in between. It is quite simply the most epic tale ever (kick's Lord of the Rings pansy ass...). First book in the series is Assassin's Apprentice.

Other writers worth a mention would be Ben Elton, Eoin Colfer, Douglas Adams, J K Rowling, Liz Jensen, Phillip Pullman, Sgt Dan Mills, Howard Marks and Neil Gaiman.

I read a lot.

Rich

And possibly my favourite series of all time; Robin Hobb's Assassin Series. Consists of three trilogies (thats nine books if that was confusing) which documents the story of one man Fitz, from birth to death, and encountrers dragons, kings, assassins, wolves, invaders, talking ships, soulless townsfolk and everything in between. It is quite simply the most epic tale ever (kick's Lord of the Rings pansy ass...). First book in the series is Assassin's Apprentice.

That series is a good one. Really enjoyed reading them after having them recommended to me by a friend, these books are definalty worth a read.

Edited by stoozie

Forgot to recommend some

To have and have not: Ernest Hemmingway, really interesting fun book, hard to put down nearly 60 years old too.

Slow down Arthur stick to thirty: Harland miller, my mum gave me this to read on the train she got it off an old punk mate, very good loads of humour basically about a lad growing up in Yorkshire and London and has a mate who's a david bowie impersonator pretty much wierd story line but very enjoyable none the less.

The only book i can safely say ive read, beginning to end and enjoyed it, was the da vinci code.

Amazing.

If you like that you should read Deception Point by Dan Brown. Angles and Deamons is great too.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I love the Mad Max type stories so this was perfect. An amazing book that I highly recommend.

And haz nice DP i love shepard fairy studied his work for 2 years through graphics

He's a bit of a dick to be honest. Suing other artists for making posters similair to his and reappropriating his work when ALL of his work does exacctly the same thing with old propaganda posters etc and barely even chanes them sometimes.

I like my war based books such as Band of Brothers

Havn't read the whole thread but would be suprised if he has already been mentioned:

Sven Hassel - Not in print anymore so you have to track them down on ebay or 2nd book shops (hours of fun! Christ, I need to get out more!). He was a German Soldier in the 2nd world war in a penal battalion (i.e. sentanced to serve). Very cool books from an unexpected point of view.

Terry Pratchett's 'Equal Rites' is one of the most amazing books I've ever read, his skill at writing is absolutely incredible. I've read this book over and over. I've been reading Terry Pratchett's books since I was about 10, and I'll still claim to be unable to put his books down.

Good read.

He came in to my open my school library last week, hes a very quiet man though. But he did shake my hand. :)