The Recommend A Book Thread

Mr Plod

Hey guys. This thread stems from a conversation me and the wonderful Synergy had earlier and we're both stuck on what books to read... I like to read but haven't read for a while now partly due to not knowing of any good books nowadays... and so thought I'd ask for some of your suggestions.

The last book I read was called Underfire and was pretty much the memoirs of a London Firefighter and his time in the brigade. I like my war based books such as Band of Brothers and many others but would like to try to read some decent novels as well.

Anyone got any suggestions?

If you've read a good book then recommend it in here and maybe give a short synopsis on the book as well without ruining it. Maybe give the book a rating out of 10 as well and what genre it fits in.

Will be interesting to see some of your suggestions.

Thanks

Can't fault any of Isaac Asimov's books really, all 400 odd. If you like sci fi thats the stuff you wanna read.

Just got through the Troy series by David Gemmel who is up there with Asimov in fiction, shame he's dead.

Not fussed by a lot of these "popular" books like da vinci jobby and all that stuff

Edited by ZeroMatt

World War Z - Max Brooks (ISBN 978-0-7156-3703-6)

A collection of stories from survivors of a fictional class 5 Zombie outbreak. Film to be released later this year.

~350 pages of easy reading.

8/10

The Zombie Survival Guide (Complete Protection From The Living Dead) - Max Brooks (ISBN 978-0-7156-3318-2)

Exactly what it says on the cover, pretty interesting, fun read if you've read the first book.

This is kind of a Ray Mears 'How To Kill Zombies'.

~250 informative pages.

8/10

This shit goes down next to George Orwell.

I have read a few decent war books but i can't recall the titles for some reason... I think one of them was Pegasus Bridge which was good read if a little short.

Other good books i have laying next to my bed at the moment are the Troy series by David Gemell. There are 3 books which tell the story of Helikaon, Odyssesus and Hektor. They probably aren't historically accurate (i know nothing about ancient greece) but the story is brilliant and the battles are very engrossing. I'd give the series a 8/10

On a similar note are the Emperor books by Conn Iggulden. They deal with the life of Julius Ceasar and Brutus. These are probably my favourite books. The story is brilliant, they aren't some boring history books. Plenty of battles and sex, only missing a bit of rock and roll.

This doesn't really fit in anywhere else, but yeah, got given the box-set of all the original, as-they-were Penguin edition James Bond stories. It's amazing - properly old school, not edited at all, so it's got stuff like James Bond calling Mr. Big "a bloody great nigger" and stuff like that. One of the chapters was called "Nigger heaven", haha. But yeah, they're fun to read, have a sort of 'raw' feel to them compared to the modern versions.

Anyway, in terms of books to read, Fight Club (the book version) is a really interesting read. Just done in an interesting style, and is a real page turner, so to speak.

Other good books i have laying next to my bed at the moment are the Troy series by David Gemell. There are 3 books which tell the story of Helikaon, Odyssesus and Hektor. They probably aren't historically accurate (i know nothing about ancient greece) but the story is brilliant and the battles are very engrossing. I'd give the series a 8/10

If you haven't allready you should have a read of the Rigante series by Gemmel, in my opinion they are bit better than the Troy series.

Catch-22 and the Illuminatus Trilogy for fictional satire.

Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology (both by Robert Anton Wilson) for introductory books on mind expansion - the beginnings of becoming who you are.

I am a nerd/geek and proud.

Edited by rowly

"the catcher In the rye" by J.D. Salinger

"fear and loathing in las vegas" by hunter s thompson

"educating peter" by Tom Cox

"señor vivo and the coca lord" by Luis De Bernieres

"one flew over the cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey

"brighton rock", "monsignor quixote" and "gun for sale" by Graham Green

"to kill a mocking bird" by Harper Lee

"Fight Club" by CHuck Palahniuk

"of mice and men" by John Steinbeck

if you haven't already read these already, they´re all excellent reads, and i consider some of them to be books that everybody should have read more than once.

"the catcher In the rye" by J.D. Salinger

"fear and loathing in las vegas" by hunter s thompson

"educating peter" by Tom Cox

"señor vivo and the coca lord" by Luis De Bernieres

"one flew over the cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey

"brighton rock", "monsignor quixote" and "gun for sale" by Graham Green

"to kill a mocking bird" by Harper Lee

"Fight Club" by CHuck Palahniuk

"of mice and men" by John Steinbeck

if you haven't already read these already, they´re all excellent reads, and i consider some of them to be books that everybody should have read more than once.

Forgot about that one! His book "fear and loathing on the campaign trail" is really, really good too, considering it's about a subject I have no idea about (US presidential campaigns). Both of them are well worth a read though.

I am legend- Richard Matheson, the original book is a great read, although quite short, nothing like the film, much much better imo.

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance- Robert M. Pirsig. Good read, although you can get bogged down in the philosophical (sp?) elements.

The Alphabet Of Manliness- Maddox, Really laugh out loud funny the whole way through.

This is a good thread and i'll definitely read some of the books mentioned.

-Charlie-

'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy Mcnab

'The One That Got Away' Chris Ryan.

Both true stories about the SAS patrol that was intercepted in the first Gulf War, proper interesting read if you like those sort of books. And I rate Andy Mcnab over Chris Ryan with his other books.

I've recently read Haunted by Palahniuk, it was awesome and I would recommend it to anyone, it's a book where it's easy to pick up and read a chapter before you go to sleep.

Also one of the best books I have ever read is called First Light by Geoffrey Wellum; essentially it is the diary of a battle of Britain fighter pilot, but the way it is written is fantastic and flows very well and the fact that it is all real is an insane prospect.

Well, Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" series is an obvious one. As is anything be Terry Pratchett (mind you, they are far from war, all mad sci-fi/fantasy stuff). I did quite enjoy Ben Mezerich's few books, "Breaking Vegas" "Ugly Americans" and "Bringing down the house", all non-fiction about MIT lads who made millions either counting cards or gambling on the stock exchange. However, if I were to tell you one book alone, a must read battle of wills, it's got to be "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"[edit] by Robert M. Prisig [/edit]. It's not factual about Zen, barely factual about motorbike maintenance, but the philosophies and the struggles of a guy with multiple personalities is a savage read.

That said, if you like Isacc Asimov, you might like Peter F. Hamilton - "Pandora's Star". It's set in the first few years of when humanity begins to conquer the galaxy. Asimov set most of his books off in the future by millennia so the galaxy is already ours.... Hamilton, imo, wrote a savage How we get there book.

Edited by Swamptin

Its not really on the same sort of theme as the rest of these but if anyone likes space sci-fi novels then the knights dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is absolutely amazing, although quite long. It consists of three books, The Reality Dysfunction, The Naked God and finally the Neutroneum Alchemist. Each single book is larger than the entire lord of the rings trilogy so its definately not one for the faint hearted.

The talisman, by Stephen King.

The wheel of time series (so far I'm on the 6th out of 12) by Robert Jordan. Are really good if your into your fantasy type books. But i went from not reading at all to loving reading, i never started reading (other than magazines) until i was 15 and picked up a book called 'The Amulet of Samarkand' by Johnathon Stroud.

If anyone could give me some book recommendations to anything thats fantasy based or historical. When i say historical I'm talking Ancient Greece era, i'd be more than appreciative :D