What Can I Keep In My Aquarium / Vivarium?

MadManMike

Right, I've got a shallow aquarium (About 10 inches max of water space, much taller for logs or whatever though).

I used to keep Chinese Red Crabs but found them very hard to look after. Needless to say they gradually died and I don't fancy replacing them for the same to happen again. I thought about getting Frogs or Lizards but I really don't fancy keeping Crickets and other live food in my room - I hate insects so don't wanna be feeding them that!

I used to have an Iguana but she was big, really big. So I couldn't fit one in my tank...

So, options unavailable:

Gecko

Frog

Crab

Anything else that eats live animals.

Can anyone suggest something else I could keep in there? Can be water or land based as long as it doesn't need deep water :)

Also, if anyone has tanks then post 'em up - I love aquariums and stuff :)

I used to really want a tortoise, like really, but realised it wasnt the best idea as they'll live probably beyond your life span. I know when you get them they're about the size of a 50p and grow a cm a year roughly, and all they eat is grass so fairly low maintenance.

Quite a cool animal though, may still get one when I'm older and aren't moving back and forth from uni etc. Plus they're easy to handle, can just put them on the grass in the summer and stuff.

Only downfalls though, hibernation = boring and how long they live for. These could both work to your advantage though!

I really wouldnt go with a geeko, my mate had one and it lasted 7 days ! The ped shop said taht it was normal :S

plus they eat crickets !

your mate got ripped.

I had my leopard gecko for 10 years before it died and even then it was a few years short (they should live to about 15-17 years)

you can teach a gecko to live on fruit but it'll still need some crickets for protien

I'd suggest a big spider, you'll have to feed it pinkies though which isn't the nicest thing to do or maybe a scorpion depends what your into really you could have something like a giant snail but i'd find that so boring.

best thing you can do is go to a decent reptile pet shop and ask them what your options are you could get a corn snake or something but you'd have to change to a bigger tank within a year

Giant Centipede.

Eats mice, not every day, looks mean as f**k. Eats mice, looks mean as f**k. East so more mice, and did I mention, looks mean as f**k?

Example: Mean as f**k Centipede, eating a mouse.

EDIT: DO NOT WATCH BEFORE DINNER, as requested by some guy who as far as I know, is a bit of an animal.

;)

Edited by Haz

Giant Centipede.

Eats mice, not every day, looks mean as f**k. Eats mice, looks mean as f**k. East so more mice, and did I mention, looks mean as f**k?

Example: Mean as f**k Centipede, eating a mouse.

:blink: that mouse got merked.

Seriously mean looking thing is that.

I have loooads of tropical fish, they look really good, and if you want some really funky ones, get some marine/ reef fish, then you could get lionfish and clownfish and stuff :D

I regret to imform you all that sadly, my Prized fish Filbert is suffering with a disease in which he often floats to the top of the bowel and needs to be pushed/blown to the bottom of the bowel,Funeral/flusing dates willl be comfirmed shortly if the worst happens.

Any one know what to do ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Adam-Griffin

I regret to imform you all that sadly, my Prized fish Filbert is suffering with a disease in which he often floats to the top of the bowel and needs to be pushed/blown to the bottom of the bowel,Funeral/flusing dates willl be comfirmed shortly if the worst happens.

Flush it anyway?

well on a serious note father has a fish tank, im sure he would give you some geeky answer to save your fish if it was possible.

How long has it been like that for? 2-3 days? if it's been just days then you'll have over fed him and his bouyancy bladder will not be working correctly give him a few days of no food and he'll be fine.

I've had my goldfish (which I won at a fair) for over 10 years now lol

Axolotl! There cool.. but you will need a big tank..

not as such mate! it would be possible to keep one in the size of tank which you have but they are as ugly as feck!

I have really been getting into my exotics lately, just bought a pair of unrelated Condas, lovely animals!

You could possibly get some crabs, dont grow that large but you can keep a few of them, or crawfish, grow to a nice size can keep around 2/3 in one tank although you will need to suply a flow of water for them and a heater which will need to be regularly maintained.

Or if you want to go all out i would say build a Nano tank, search for them on google, they are small home made reefs with live rock, fish ect and they look the nads but are very very very hard to keep!

or and i am assuming thie will go down well... you could get a small invert IE a spider, scorpion or some thing. spiders require very little husbandry (IE cleaning ect) for them to stay well. all you will need is a heet mat which you can pick up for around £10-£15 some substrate and some decent hides. The spider themselfs are extremely cheap, for a sling (very small size of around 2cm legspan) you can expect to pay around about £2.50 through to about £7 dependant on what species you would want. Or you could get a juvenile or fully grown adult for around £15-£25. BUT every spider can bit and will deliver a venom, this isnt anything major and some breeds bites can be as pain full as a stinging nettle ting others as painfull as a bee sting. You will not be able to buy anything that can cause any more damage than this unless you have a DWA licence so you wont be letting yourself in on anything to big! The largest spider you can buy is the goliath bird eater or the camel spider, growing to a legspan of around 11" but these are very hard to get hold of. Fpr a beginer spider i would suggest a red rump, this was the first spider i ever had and they are very very easy to look after!

There are some pretty awsome frogs out there which will eat mice! if thats the thing you are after! But its against the law for you to feed live rodents to your animals, with the amount of videos on youtube you would find it hard to belive, but its true! finacaly you cannot keep your pet on live rodents, and many CB animals will not eat them! frozen foods is what you want to be feeding them, a lot cheaper than any live foods!

you seem to a well respected fprum member so i am pretty sure you will do your reaserch before you jump into anything but please feel free to drop me a PM with any questions you have from where to get livestock to how to care for them or set up thier habitat!! Bit of a gay intrest but its just got me hooked!

will edit in a sec sorry!

Edited by Radfax