Why Bleed With Water ?

richporter

I've been hearing a lot about water bleeds for hydraulic brakes and i'm wondering what all the fuss is about ? My hope brakes run on DOT4 and my Maggies on their Mineral oil. Have i missed a trick ? or is water bleeding not all its cracked up to be ? Your thoughts please :)

I've been hearing a lot about water bleeds for hydraulic brakes and i'm wondering what all the fuss is about ? My hope brakes run on DOT4 and my Maggies on their Mineral oil. Have i missed a trick ? or is water bleeding not all its cracked up to be ? Your thoughts please :)

Water bleeding [tony the tiger voice] iiiis grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! [/cereal advert].

Not only is it cheaper, less hassleful and easier to come by, but the lever feel is improved because it doesn't feel so thick and clumsy. Not really ideal for your DOT fluid brakes, but for your maguras with mineral oil in it feels fantastic.

Theres the possibility that the seals in your magura will wear out quicker as the water doesn't lubricate them, but that takes ages. I havn't had magura oil in a brake for nearly 3 years.

I've run water in my maggie now for about 3 years too, I've never had a problem and they feel so much more responsive and nicer to use.

It comes down to personal preference I guess but I'd reccomend water bleeds in maggies to anyone:

Less messy,

Easier to bleed,

Increased performance,

Free!

Try to have a go with someones bike who has a water bleed before you do yours to make sure you like the feel.

One thing to remember is if you like riding in sub-zero temperatures the water in your line can freeze. Some people put anti-freeze in with the water to stop this, but I genarally use it as an excuse not to ride in sub-zero temperatures :P

Kev

why put a stupid topic like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use the damn search. :sleeping:

Because i'm a new guy. I want to take part in the forum, get to know some new people and have a conversation about the bits im not so familiar with.

Isn't that what the New Members chat's all about ?

There's loads of threads about disks or rim brakes?, which pads are best?, which bike should i buy? I'm sure if we did extensive enough searching then most of the posts here have been answered already but we're all just trying to find our feet with the forum, make a positive contribution and say hello to a community of people who like the same things that we do.

Many thanks for all your answers :lol:

DAMN you got served.

Well said sir,

As for the Braks, Water bleeding only works for Magura Rim Brakes.

I would advise against using anything but DOT Approved Brake fluids for disc brakes unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.

Ironic I know, as Magura do say only use mineral oil, but the contruction and materials of the brake doesnt raise any technical or saftey related issues when doing so.

I have run water in my Magura for 4 years and its been fine, and still is.

You will find the brake more responsive and find improvemants in feel.

waters the best substance to bleed with in my opinion....it offers great response, doesnt have a detrimental effect on brakes, and is easily sourcable when needing to be replaced!

The heatsink suggestion of a babyoil bleed is interesting, thinner and cheaper than maggie blood.

If you dont have a bleed kit then water is easiest as you can bath bleed :)

My old water bleed had stood for 2-3 years and air had got in somewhere (probably through the rb lever seals). When I bath bled it the other day a load of oil came out through the pipes, as it hasnt had an oil bleed in 4 years I figured that its got in there from when Ive oiled the outsides of the seals. I cant see how a little oil in the bleed will affect it other than providing some internal lubrication for the seals :)

this argument is going to go on forever, "dont use water it rots your seals" and so on. but when i used both maguras front and back one was water bled and one was oil bled. the water bled one kicked the oil bled ones arse! although someitmes i orefer the feel of a oil bled brake!

You dont need a bleed kit

waters free

you pretty much cant get it wrong

its simple

gives a great lever feel! as it doesnt feel as sloggy

:)

Apparantly you need to make sure you thoroughly clean out all the oil first, as when you bleed it with water the oil left in makes it go thicker, or something.

I never suffered any problems, when I first water bled I drained my old oil out and replaced it directly with water. Never had a problem with it :)

When I bath bled the system in my bathroom sink the oily/watery mess that came out made a right state of the sink :D

this isnt me getting smart or smug because i am not 100% sure but what i THOUGHT was...

The only was that water can damage/corrode your seals is if there is air in the water because for the water to start coroding the seals air needs to be in the brake system. So technicaly if you bleed your brakes correctly and there is no air in the brake then there should be no damage to the seals.

this isnt me getting smart or smug because i am not 100% sure but what i THOUGHT was...

The only was that water can damage/corrode your seals is if there is air in the water because for the water to start coroding the seals air needs to be in the brake system. So technicaly if you bleed your brakes correctly and there is no air in the brake then there should be no damage to the seals.

The water doesnt affect the seals at all, its the lack of lubricating oil that means the pistons wear the seals out faster ;)

Ive had an olive corrode into the slave cylinder though so it wouldnt hurt to strip it every 6 months or so. Corrosion of ferrous materials (steel and iron) happens faster if it is subject to alternate immersion in water and then open air, hence if you have air in your bleed then its more likely to corrode the olives. Ive used 3 barbs to connect my slaves up so shouldnt get anymore stuck olives :)

Edited by forteh

The water doesnt affect the seals at all, its the lack of lubricating oil that means the pistons wear the seals out faster ;)

Nail on head. All this talk of corrosion is frankly wrong! Water lacks the lubricity of mineral oil and can contain a greater number of impurities which will accelerate the wear between the o-rings and cylinder walls. After time this will lead to leaking. Luckily it will take many years (3-5 from people's experiences) for this to occur.

Well I don't want to be buying a new set of meggies every 3 years... I guess I won't be water bleeding my megs... :(

Mine have been water bled for years without a problem, if youre worried about the seal wear then just drop a little oil (proper oil not wd40 or such wank like it) onto the pistons. At the end of the day you can get a set of maggie slaves for bugger all. Ive got 6 :D

Mine have been water bled for years without a problem, if youre worried about the seal wear then just drop a little oil (proper oil not wd40 or such wank like it) onto the pistons. At the end of the day you can get a set of maggie slaves for bugger all. Ive got 6 :D

Maggie slaves??? bugger all? sorry, I'm still new to trials lingo... :$

Maggie slaves??? bugger all? sorry, I'm still new to trials lingo... :$

The slaves are the cylinders where the brake pads clip into, the master cylinder is in the lever. In hydraulic systems the master cylinder is the one that is operated and the slave cylinder is the one that does the operation - in the case of hydraulic brakes a mechanical advantage is built into the system by using different size pistons between the master and slaves :)

Tarty sells brand new slave cylinders for 16 quid a piece (about $30 to you)

The slaves are the cylinders where the brake pads clip into, the master cylinder is in the lever. In hydraulic systems the master cylinder is the one that is operated and the slave cylinder is the one that does the operation - in the case of hydraulic brakes a mechanical advantage is built into the system by using different size pistons between the master and slaves :)

Tarty sells brand new slave cylinders for 16 quid a piece (about $30 to you)

Hey thanks for clearing things up! I appreciate it!

I bled my back Magura with water for the first time 2 days ago (Was the first time I have ever bled a brake)

It was really easy in the bath and the feel of the brake afterwards is amazing

I’m definitely converted to water from now on :D