Need Help Up Loading Videos

Joe Aston

Just tired uploading a video onto trials tube its a 6 min vid 98 mb windows media audio/video file plays fine in good quality on my pc however when i upload it onto trials tube it plays in realy bad qualty dont no what to do. I want the video to been seen in its best quality possible.

Speedy help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Joe

I'm not entirely sure, but naturally, when a video is converted to the flv format, it's compressed in size, so naturally your video won't be as good a quality.

Unless you mean it's dreadful quality, in that case I'm not sure.

You got a link to the video uploaded to trialstube, and a link to it directly, without any conversion etc?

Hmmm. I dunno, I mean trialstube does compress the file when it converts it I think, but it shouldn't to that extent I shouldn't imagine.

I've been thinking about it for a while and might make something similar to trials-shack, so instead of people's videos being converted to a different format upon upload, they'll keep their original format and file size, so as to provide an original quality download.

Servers are not cheap though, so it'll be a while.

For now I'd just use tv.isg.si and similar. tomturd is the person behind trialstube, so I guess asking him would be your best bet :)

EDIT: I've just streamed some other trialstube videos and the quality isn't that good on them either, I think it's just trialstube compressing the file to save bandwidth / disk space.

Edited by 531joshua

Yeah, I think your video is a bit of an odd one - it plays really jerky for me (see the other thread) and it looks 'squashed' in places. I reckon you've used some funny compression? But I'm not an expert on videos at all.

By the way - with trialstube you can still download the full quality video using the download link (and play in VLC/Windows Media Player) - that should look exactly the same as the video you uploaded. So there's no point resorting to ISG for that.

Its kind of the whole point that a video is compressed when it is converted to play online. Otherwise it would not stream (IE it would play quicker than it downloads - causing stop/start effect) very well.

It does seem that it compresses some videos better than it does others. At a guess (as I haven't tried) I'd say that the better you compress it on your own computer (xvid or divx) the less compression and 'figuring out' trialstube has to do, and you'll end up with a better quality video.

We use pretty much the same technology as youtube I think, and I'm also pretty sure the quality trialstube encodes to is higher than youtube.

And yeah, please remember you can still download the full, uncompressed, origonal source file from TrialsTube!post-2-1206271378_thumb.jpg

Its wierd though - it only is really bad to watch when it gets dark .... block o rama. On the first daytime shots its just what i would expect of trials/youtube but i guess even on those the shady parts of the shots are pretty bad... could be to do with how the original vid is compressed to wmv ? which probably does block up those areas quite a bit anyway making it worse on the fully compressed version ?

And yeah, please remember you can still download the full, uncompressed, origonal source file from TrialsTube!

So do you store two videos in different formats? Like if someone uploaded video.mpg, that original video would be saved, 'untouched' to an unpublic directory, then it would also be converted to a flash video file, and saved to another directory?

So do you store two videos in different formats? Like if someone uploaded video.mpg, that original video would be saved, 'untouched' to an unpublic directory, then it would also be converted to a flash video file, and saved to another directory?

Yeah, the server keeps the original copy AND makes a new file to run in the flash player. But the original isn't in an 'unpublic' directory - you can download the file very easily so it's quite 'public' :)

Ah I see. So by being public you mean it's still in the public_html (or whatever it's called), but just uses php to send out headers to download, rather than giving a direct link?

<?php

header('Content-Type: application/force-download');
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="video.ext"');
readfile('publicdir/video.ext');
?>

Good idea if that's how it works :)

Tomm, I'm not 100% on this, but I'm sure you can still download a file without it being in a public directory? Just using the code above, but "/home/users/name/files/filename.ext" or something?

Ah I see. So by being public you mean it's still in the public_html (or whatever it's called), but just uses php to send out headers to download, rather than giving a direct link?

<?php

header('Content-Type: application/force-download');
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="video.ext"');
readfile('publicdir/video.ext');
?>[/code]

Good idea if that's how it works :)

Tomm, I'm not 100% on this, but I'm sure you can still download a file without it being in a public directory? Just using the code above, but "/home/users/name/files/filename.ext" or something?

Yeah, you can. Thats what I was trying to explain ages ago to you about storing files outside of a web accessible directory, and using PHP to access them.

Joe, just had a look at your video. The source file is pretty poor quality to begin with, so after compression its even worse - that'll be while you get the same result when uploading to youtube. I'd recommend you encode using divx/xvid rather than WMV.

When you upload a video to YouTube, it is transcoded (decoded to raw video, then re-encoded) into Flash Video (FLV) format. The video frame size is scaled to no larger than 320x240. I haven't been able to tell exactly what the rates are, but the frame rate appears to be between 25 and 30 frames per second, and the video data rate appears to be somewhere around 200 Kilobits (kbps) per second. Audio is reduced to mono and transcoded to a lower bit rate. This transcoding is what's going on in between the time you complete your upload to YouTube, and the time that the video is finally available for viewing.

By comparison, TrialsTube uses the same video size, datarate is 600 (3 times higher per second) and audio is kept in high quality stereo :)