Cross-threaded Brake Mount On Frame..

BeNNy

Hey'll..

So basically one of my brake mounts have been cross-threaded on my Python.. and I've not really been riding much since. Howeverrrrr, I really want to start riding again as the weather's gonna start getting better I hope..

So yeah, I need it "helicoiled"? Would a local garage be able to do this?? What sizes would be required? Any other info I would neeeeed??

THANKS.

:)

Ah nice :) replies :)

Yeah, so is this M5 a bolt or something...? My friend at a local garage already has a helicoiling kit but don't think he has the "M5" bolt or something?

Can this be bought separately?

tap to m6 (5mill bolt head ;)) and put a m6 to m5 threaded helicoil in (done it enough times)

that will fit an m5 bolt (4mill thread)

Matx

pretty sure its not m6 you tap it to? you can get the kits off ebay LINK worth getting as youd get charged close to that amount if you had all for mounts done

There's a lot of confusion here.

Brake mounts are M5, so if it's stripped out, then the hole is going to be roughly 5mm. You should be able to use an M5 helicoil kit to sort it out. I'm getting the tapping size for this will be M6 x 1mm.

aye thats what i said, i think?

yeah tap to m6 and then helicoil to m5 to use standard magura bolts (m5 thread 4 mil head)

Matx

It aint M6 though, it's an M5 helicoil tap you need. There is a difference.

i said tap to m6 then helicoil to m5, when did i say anything about the above?..

didnt say you need an m5 helicoil tap, i said you need to helicoil it down to m5, which is the standard magura size, because when i first did it i went for m4, because that was the size of the bolt head, and thats what people get confused about.

Mat

i said tap to m6 then helicoil to m5, when did i say anything about the above?..

didnt say you need an m5 helicoil tap, i said you need to helicoil it down to m5, which is the standard magura size, because when i first did it i went for m4, because that was the size of the bolt head, and thats what people get confused about.

Mat

What he means is that the tap for an M5 helicoil is not necessarily an M6 tap ;)

My M6 helicoil kit has a 6.3 tapping drill supplied with it, now thats part way between the recommended drill for M7x1.0 (6.0mm) and M8x1.25 (6.75mm) so its almost as if its an M7.5 tap, not just the next size up.

At a rough guess I would say that the tapping drill for an M5x1.0 helicoil is about 5.2mm, perhaps someone can confirm this :)

The helicoil kit I got has a 5.2mm drill bit and the inserts are 0.8mm.

What he means is that the tap for an M5 helicoil is not necessarily an M6 tap ;)

My M6 helicoil kit has a 6.3 tapping drill supplied with it, now thats part way between the recommended drill for M7x1.0 (6.0mm) and M8x1.25 (6.75mm) so its almost as if its an M7.5 tap, not just the next size up.

At a rough guess I would say that the tapping drill for an M5x1.0 helicoil is about 5.2mm, perhaps someone can confirm this :)

I already have dude. (Y)

It aint M6 though, it's an M5 helicoil tap you need. There is a difference.

I guess that depends on the helicoil kit you use. The one I used at school was an m5 helicoil tap which was sightly smaller than an m6 one. The one i used at home is 5.2mm drill bit and 0.8mm helicoil so i just use an m6 tap.

anyway that post was completely pointless because I know you know your stuff.