Koxx Brown Cnc Backings Help

TrAsHeR

Hi there,

I have a pair of koxx browns ready to fit and also some a pair of cnc backing.

Would it be possible to fit the koxx compound into the metal backing?

If so, will super glue do the job?

Cheers

Edited by TrAsHeR

I'm pretty sure that'd be fine. Just use the oven job to get the pads out of the plastic backings, and glue them in. I think normal superglue's alright, just make sure to clamp and leave it for long enough.

I've heard people do this before and say it gives a really good brake so i wouldn't mind trying it myself :)

It has been done before, there was a lil topic about them. I should be getting my Koxx browns soon, now to hunt down some backings :rolleyes:

This was the topic but the pics dont work anymore.

Edited by kcchan

Thanks for the quick answer.

What kind of temperature should the oven be and for how long?

Cheers.

A much easier meathod is to just boil them. Pan of boiling water on the stove, chuck the pads in for a few minutes, take them out and pull them out with some pliars. Job done. (Y)

Rich

A much easier meathod is to just boil them. Pan of boiling water on the stove, chuck the pads in for a few minutes, take them out and pull them out with some pliars. Job done. (Y)

Rich

i found oven works better.

boiling doesn't work every time. depends on the glue...

put them in the oven, turn it up to 160 degrees. when it's hot they're done. take them out and just pull the pads out of the backings.

boiling doesn't work every time. depends on the glue...

put them in the oven, turn it up to 160 degrees. when it's hot they're done. take them out and just pull the pads out of the backings.

Koxx pads are harder to remove with the boiling method than some. The oven method is quick, clean and works every time (Y)

Pad glue wise, superglue is great for tight fitting pads (as used for the original pads which are made to be a snug fit for HSB CNC backings ). Superglue is thin and so is great at wetting the surfaces in small gaps, plus it dries quickly for speed of assembly. The best pad & backing combo is where the pads are a tight fit and so will actually hold strongly in the backings when pressed in. In this case, it's useful to wet the surfaces with super-glue to lubricate the surfaces so the pad inserts fully. Innuendo unintended but unavoidable!

If you end up with a pad from a plastic backing which is a loose fit due to material lost in the original backing, or it being undersized from normal, then Epoxy glue (The one with the 2 tubes) is great because it can be used as a space filler. The strong Epoxy glues (see packaging for info) will dry in hours rather than seconds for the Superglues. Something to be mindful of before you put them on your bike and go out riding!

Don't forget the CNC backing guide up on my website which gives step by step help with photos on replacing pads in HSB Vee & Magura backings.

Steve

The thread mentioned above was mine and unfortunately I've got rid of the pics.

But I'm still using that setup and it is awesome.

I put the koxx bloxx in the oven at 190 for about 5 mins and they just popped right out.

I dont use any glue to hold them in, just got to do some slight modification with a sharp blade and you're away.

Koxx pads are harder to remove with the boiling method than some. The oven method is quick, clean and works every time (Y)

Pad glue wise, superglue is great for tight fitting pads (as used for the original pads which are made to be a snug fit for HSB CNC backings ). Superglue is thin and so is great at wetting the surfaces in small gaps, plus it dries quickly for speed of assembly. The best pad & backing combo is where the pads are a tight fit and so will actually hold strongly in the backings when pressed in. In this case, it's useful to wet the surfaces with super-glue to lubricate the surfaces so the pad inserts fully. Innuendo unintended but unavoidable!

If you end up with a pad from a plastic backing which is a loose fit due to material lost in the original backing, or it being undersized from normal, then Epoxy glue (The one with the 2 tubes) is great because it can be used as a space filler. The strong Epoxy glues (see packaging for info) will dry in hours rather than seconds for the Superglues. Something to be mindful of before you put them on your bike and go out riding!

Don't forget the CNC backing guide up on my website which gives step by step help with photos on replacing pads in HSB Vee & Magura backings.

Steve

The thread mentioned above was mine and unfortunately I've got rid of the pics.

But I'm still using that setup and it is awesome.

I put the koxx bloxx in the oven at 190 for about 5 mins and they just popped right out.

I dont use any glue to hold them in, just got to do some slight modification with a sharp blade and you're away.

Cheers Guys.

Very useful.

I'm bored and have just put some new material in so here you go

gallery_6721_1811_21929.jpg

No glue, cut off the little bits to make it fit the backing put it in place (nice and snug) and clamped in a vice to get them all the way in and level.

Looks so sweet, what knife did you use to cut a bit off the material?

And yeah koxx should make some refills.

just a hobby knife. they're not that hard to cut through really, any old stanley knife will do. The thinner the blade the easier and more pretty (not that you'll see that bit)

I should have taken a pic of the material after I cut it to show you, but they're on my bike now. Oh well, next time perhaps

So I took the material out of the plastic backings and then cutted a bit off the each sides.

Then pushed it in, put some superglue on the side and then in a vice.

And when I took it out of the vice the middle of the material just popped back out.

What should I do?

Cheers

imga0042to8.jpg