Music When You Ride

bikeperson45

Any of you listen to music as you ride (although it's antisocial if your with people (N) ) When I go on my own I get bored of silence, or little kids screaming and so on. I'm gonna get an iPod nano ("2nd gen) and was wondering if they can take a lot of bumps from trials.

Any help appreciated

Yea, I'll ride my bike with a cassette player on my shoulder blaring some kind of retro gibberish

Grandmaster Flash is the name you're looking for! Or Afrika Bambaataa. I don't ride with music at the moment. But when I find my mini disc player again I think I'll more than likely have metal, some trance (NOT techno), and some lighter stuff to calm my nerves if I'm trying something that needs more concentration. Say what you will, but every once in a while Enya can be very calming. But for the most part, Metallica, Maiden, Dragonforce, Dream Theater, Paul Oakenfold (I think thats his name, look for "for an angel") some Trivium, Coheed and Cambria... thats about it. For more calming stuff I'd play Collective Soul I think.

I've got a Sony walkman phone, so since I carry my phone with me while trialsing anyway, I just listen to music on that. Can't recommend the connection for the earphones though. It clips into the end of the phone and the contacts get corroded after a while, so you have to wiggle the connector to hear the music properly. Biggest problem is when you do a big up (Big for me is somewhere around 1m) and my pocket is pulled tight against my leg during the tuck, the connection sometimes unplugs :(. Nokia do a few phones with standard 3.5mm jack plugs - get one of them if you happen to need a new phone and a new mp3 player.

I've got everything from pendulum to enya on my phone - come to think of it I have a class mix of Enya's Orinoco Flow and Prodigy's Smack my Bitch Up too :D - along with the best country and western song ever written...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIyfdpt2V8

Edited by psycholist

I've got a Nano 1st gen, been using it for 2 years now. It gets about 6 hours of trials use and 15 hours of ordinary use each week. There are already a few problems with it like it will sometimes crash or the lock won't turn off but otherwise it's fine. However, it hasn't taken much physical abuse so I guess there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

I listen to mostly Green Day (their older albums), pop rock and new wave.

get a shuffle, its basically a block of alu so its gonna be pretty tough. nice and light so wont annoy you in your pocket.

I second that.

I have friends who aren't riders - they cracked their nano screens, that's the first gen nano. Some of my rider friends carry the nano second gen, so far so good.

But I would get the shuffle 2gb if I were you. In fact I'm saving up for one right now.

Currently I'm using my 5th gen ipod, a bit bulky in my pocket, but the plus point is that I could watch loads of riding videos to get some inspiration! (especially Ryan Leech's mastering the art of trials)

Edited by spaceman

Got myself the new little shuffles, mint little thing!

Had it about 6 months at least now, takes a bashing, i've only changed the headphones as the standards are gay. Other than that, i'd thoroughly reccommend it!

Main riding noise involves some chilled dnb, indie stuff, insrumentals, anything that can chill me out or get me hyped up really!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Not very often I ride on my own, but did for a few hours the other day. Stuck the Ipod classic on, found it quite good, bit of Linkin Park, Staind, & Foo Fighters did the trick, was a really chilled ride. Wouldn't listen to it when riding with mates though.

I love riding northshore and freeridey type trails to music. Not so sure about trials though to much to think about and i like screaming the lyrics aswell :D

Music i listen to, The clash, 2tone ska stuff like the specials bad manners etc, and proper old school raggae gets me going bit of pendulum cant go a miss aswell

I have a 2nd generation ipod nano and it has taken a hell of alot of abuse from when i used to ride dh they are tough as hell the hold button has been smashed off has scratches everywhere, but it still works.

Good music to ride to is something like jedi mind tricks or outerspace. Its old school style hip-hop and has a slow paced beat and ifind it helps with my concentration.

Hope that helps.

Tom

some thing that hypes me up or makes me angry with he wall (heavy shizzle)

and if your only going to use the player for riding then why buy something expensive? when a cheap one will do exactly the same thing and but wont keep costing you loads as you break them...

my biking mp3 cost like £15 and i dont notice it in my pocket at all lol