Gearing: Zoo Horizontal Dropout Frame

aaroncosbey

Hi guys - just wondering if anyone has heard of a 116mm pitbull or echo control running an 18/14 or 18/13 gear ratio rather than the manufacturer recommended 18/15.

I find 18/15 a bit light - wouldnt mind swaping to a horiz dropout 26" to get rid of the chain tensioner... and a bit of weight, not to mention a predictable drivechain woes!

large_pitbull1164.jpg

thanks in advance

;)

Edited by aaroncosbey

Not strictly speaking true. On my BMX at the moment, I'm running 28:9 and unless I file my drop-outs inwards more, I'm stuck with running my back wheel with my axle pretty much hanging out the back of the dropouts. I can't get a half-link to go on there unless I file them in a bit more, it sucks. So yeah, he might have the same problem on his Zoo, and I'm assuming that if you ran the wheel right at the back of the dropouts anyway it might make brake setup a bit more tricky?

You could just give it a go though, I guess. If it's a simple case of buying a new sprocket for the back and putting it on, it shouldn't be too hard to do. I doubt I'd go as low as 18:13 though, on a stock that'd be mental.

I know - i'd just rather get rid of the chain tensioner on my current frame - but having to run 18:15 puts me off.

I just wonder if i ran 18:14 would the axel be hanging out of the dropouts.

Its a wonder these 26" mods havent more of a following... for those who run single speed!

Ah, yeah, my bad - forgot you didn't already have the frame. One tooth difference shouldn't be too bad. If it doesn't fit, get a single half-link from the Shadow Conspiracy Interlock v2 chains and run that in there.

Its a wonder these 26" mods havent more of a following... for those who run single speed!

If they made them with 135mm spacing, I'd imagine a fair few people would run them

Saying that, I'd be intrigued to see Hope make a Pro II style hub with no disc mount and a freehub body only large enough for 1 cog (pretty much a semi-built in freewheel) to make the flanges as widely spaced as possible, to build up into some crazy hardcore dishless monster!

As far as I'm aware, the only difference between Profile and CK MTB/BMX hubs is just the length of the driver/freehub body? Like the actual hub-shell is the same on both? I know Edd Potts made a Hope into a mod-spaced hub too by hacking off the end of the normal cassette body. Or were you just saying it'd be sweet to make a hub with ridiculously wide flanges?

I'm riding a Adamant A1 116mm with 18-15 gearing, an my chains a little slack unless the wheels as far back as possible. Its not enough to have it forward with a link out though, so 18-14 you should be alright :)

(Adamant an the Pitbull have the same 377mm chain stays)

hey aaron....long time no speak! You coming over to fort bill this year?

Why not try running a 17:14 or something similar? change the cog on the front to suit your ratio?

I had 18:16 on my bike, when i had horizontal dropouts, but you must have man legs to be able to power that ratio

hey aaron....long time no speak! You coming over to fort bill this year?

Why not try running a 17:14 or something similar? change the cog on the front to suit your ratio?

I had 18:16 on my bike, when i had horizontal dropouts, but you must have man legs to be able to power that ratio

Hi Ben, I'll be there rain or shine :closedeyes:

I'm still on the 05 pitbull .... it seems to still work really well for me. (big ratios + big legs = big moves) :shifty:

I'm cautious to move away from what i'm used to (low BB) '05 geometry; incase it messes my riding style

I've got a 108.9 18th up front and am reluctant to change it (£££)

I might just have to buy the frame and experiment! I'd need at least 18/14 = 1.29:1 or 18/13 = 1.38

How come you got rid of yours? I take it you are riding elite this year as always??

I'm still on the 05 pitbull .... it seems to still work really well for me. (big ratios + big legs = big moves) :shifty:

I'm cautious to move away from what i'm used to (low BB) '05 geometry; incase it messes my riding style

I might just have to buy the frame and experiment! I'd need at least 18/14 = 1.29:1 or 18/13 = 1.38

How come you got rid of yours? I take it you are riding elite this year as always??

I got rid of mine cos i moved to czar (non-horiztonal dropouts) and now im riding for atomz.

I have put down to ride the top, non-seeded, level, as i didnt know if i would be allowed to ride that category. (although i probably should) ill speak to the organisers when i get there.

I know how you feel, 18/15 is too low. Feels like your going nowhere when tapping stuff. I loved 18/14, gaps weren't a problem and 170mm cranks were fine. I never actually found a disadvantage to it, apart from the chainstay length problem. I had a Control 116mm and 18/14 was fine but the chainstay length ended up being like 380mm which sucked. The wheel was right at the back of the dropouts but safe enough to run. I also tried filling my dropouts out more so the wheel could be slammed further in, didn't work though. Simply wasn't enough room unless i got rid of the snail cams which was too risky plus the resale value would end up as £0.

In the end i couldn't be arsed, and went back to mod. If you want 380mm chainstays then go for it.

For reference i was running:

Eno 18t

KHE Collapse

Echo Fixed 15t

[edit]

380mm chainstays, not 180mm :S

Edited by eskimo

Christ, doesn't anybody look before they post these days?!

:rtt:

Don't be silly, nor do we bother reading the post back before clicking the post button >_<

That would just waste valuable time, time that we could be using to post more dumb posts on the forum, like this :D

In the end i couldn't be arsed, and went back to mod. If you want 380mm chainstays then go for it.

[edit]

380mm chainstays, not 180mm :S

The chainstays on the 116mm bikes are 377mm anyways.... do you mean theres only a 3mm difference bewteen them If i run an 18/14 ratio.

I was playing with 18/13 today... class (Y)

The chainstays on the 116mm bikes are 377mm anyways.... do you mean theres only a 3mm difference bewteen them If i run an 18/14 ratio.

I was playing with 18/13 today... class (Y)

380 was an estimate. But i think they must be like 377 centre to centre. If 18/13 works, keep it.