Mechs...

sidehop

Right,

I am going to put a mech on as im sick to death with all this pish.

So i need to know how to do this...

Like i seen DK's on his adamant and its all up in his frame/locked out? And i belive you do this with a spoke?

So help me. I dont want it haning so its going crazy and flopping all over the shop.

Help?

Do i need it?

get an old bit of cable and put it in where the gear cable would go and use the adjuster to get your chain line perfect or just use your hand to push or pull it over and then pull zip tie tight to hold it.

When I ran a mech I did it completely different and it worked a treat.

Take a look at the back of the bolt that attachs the mech to the frame. You'll see a C-clip. Remove the C-clip and you'll see a spring. Remove the spring. Now you'll need a washer to pack the bolt out. This is so that when you bolt the mech to the frame, the bolt clamps the mech to it tightly, so there is no movement.

As for the chain alignment. You may be able to use the stop screws to line the mech up with your chain line, if not then just use either a spoke or a cable to line the mech up. If you make your chain quite short then it maybe more responsive but doesn't make to much difference.

Job done.

give kev a phone chis he's the master of this sort of thing.

put the mech on like normal, replace the gear cable with a spoke and set the mech up so it's in the right gear and your sorted. i guess you could tie wrap the mech to the frame but i don't think you need to

i did mine on the echo by removing the spring aswell but to be honest i don't think its worth all the hassle

Edited by G4vyn

This is by far the better method, ive tried both. No need for a cable tie or cable/spoke, and it gets locked out completely.

Take a look at the back of the bolt that attachs the mech to the frame. You'll see a C-clip. Remove the C-clip and you'll see a spring. Remove the spring. Now you'll need a washer to pack the bolt out. This is so that when you bolt the mech to the frame, the bolt clamps the mech to it tightly, so there is no movement.

As for the chain alignment. You may be able to use the stop screws to line the mech up with your chain line, if not then just use either a spoke or a cable to line the mech up. If you make your chain quite short then it maybe more responsive but doesn't make to much difference.

Job done.

Job done.

I never found the need to take that spring out i dont see why people did it?

Also why do people use a spoke over gear cable, i cant see any advatage?

aidan, im riding stoney tommorow night after work, so come out and ill show you exactly what to do.....

you will not need do use a zip tie, and the spoke trick is easy.

I cant belive all the difficult explanations on this....its so simple :).

Job done.

Truth.

Mechs for the win. Give the best chain tension over any 74kingz, rolhoff malarky.

Ah'ha!

I went to put the mech on and all and it kinda f**ked up.

But not i have it all set up like a mod bike.. Woooop :D

Ill be riding trav. Give me a text sir (Y)

please dont tell me your not running a tensioner on a czar, ali did it and his chain snapped, just letting you know :\.

Matx

I hate zip tieing mechs to frames, looks messy and makes it harder to get the rear wheel out. Just do whats said before and remove the spring, works perfectly and the rear wheel can be taken out as normal.