Good Cheap Isis Bottom Bracket?

Ashley-Wood

I rate the fsa platinum ones, I've got one on my jump bike, and not only does it never make a worrying sound, but the crankbolts never come undone allowing the crank to erode.

What?! if you think a Bottom bracket has anything to do with the bolts staying in then you're mistaken. All the threads are done to high standards and none will differ.

and eroding cranks because of that sounds like something from the new Indiana Jones film.

my two pence: stay away from fsa bottom brackets, mine have always either had play or never been as smooth as the truvativ's ive owned

Edited by Larry David

Here's one for under £30 - sold rebranded as Echo for £45 in a lot of places too... http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_inf...;products_id=31

I don't think these are sold as Echos. Deng sells them as "other companies production", not under his brand.

I'd go for a Truvativ, had quite a few in the past and they were always great.

If there's no play on the axle, keep the SKF and face your BB shell, maybe go through the threads with a tap. Did you put locktite on the threads before installing? Locktite does a rather good job at stopping creaking and ratteling.

How old is the skf? I've used one in my trials bike and in my dh bike and not had a problem with either. If the threads have been chased through in the frame and the shell faced then it should be fine. Theres no need to loctite a bottom bracket in place if the frame is in good nick and has been prepped.

Personally i'd have another skf or the superstar components bb looks good.

Given that it's a cartridge and should hold the bearings on each side of the axle correctly aligned with the axle facing the BB shouldn't make a difference. Misalignment of BB threads and/or poor facing is the likely reason that Hollowtech II style BB's tend to last very poorly in a lot of frames.