Free Hub Vs Fixed Hub

G-baby158

Free hub Vs Fixed hub  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is better ?

• Fixed
    • Free

I'm guessing he is talking about rear hubs, but yeah, if you search there have been quite a few really, really big posts about FFW vs. freehubs which would probably give you quite a lot of information about the two of 'em.

i've had [imo] the best freehub+wheel. [eno+pro2] i prefer the pro2 by miles. can use a shorter [therefore stronger bb] the chain moves less when your riding normally + freehubs sounds ace.

Ive had a eno and currently running a king, king wins hands down, i had nothing but trouble with the eno, it used to skip like every day the king hasnt skipped once since i got it 7 months ago. (touch wood)

you can also go alot faster with a free hub which is good when riding home.

Edited by TOBY-E

I'm inbetween the two :P

I like a 'FFW' screwed on the rear hub - my ratio is 24 : 18, one advantage of using freewheels are they're alot cheaper

(maybe not in the very long run, but it'd take a while to destroy like £300 pounds of freewheels - instead of one Chris King!)

I'm inbetween the two :P

I like a 'FFW' screwed on the rear hub - my ratio is 24 : 18, one advantage of using freewheels are they're alot cheaper

(maybe not in the very long run, but it'd take a while to destroy like £300 pounds of freewheels - instead of one Chris King!)

yuo dont have to get a king, and kings are more like 180ish

kings are more like 180ish

Copied off T-uk :

Chris King Classic Hub (HD Version)

Chris King Heavy Duty Classic Hub

Price £345.00 choose option... Black - £345 Silver - £345 Red - £345 Blue - £345 Green - £345 Gold - £345 Mango - £345 Pewter - £345 Pink - £345

Chris King Rear Single Speed Hub

Chris King Rear Single Speed Hub

Price £335.00 choose option... Black - £335 Silver - £335 Red - £335 Green - £335 Blue - £335 Mango - £335 Pewter - £335 Pink - £335 Gold - £335

Free hub on the rear with screw on cog on the front on stock.

Screw on cogs are the stupidest idea ever

Who thought it'd be clever to thread on a part that undergoes such amounts of torque as that?

Trials specific kit (Deng/Try All etc) would be far better if they ran the same sprocket spline as a rear hub with a lockring, though obviously this'd mean a bit of work on the method of mounting freewheels (not that that should cause a huge problem)

Screw on cogs are the stupidest idea ever

Who thought it'd be clever to thread on a part that undergoes such amounts of torque as that?

Trials specific kit (Deng/Try All etc) would be far better if they ran the same sprocket spline as a rear hub with a lockring, though obviously this'd mean a bit of work on the method of mounting freewheels (not that that should cause a huge problem)

I couldn't agree with you more to be honest. It's just i use what we have avaliable.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong they work, but as chainrings are designed as a (relatively) replacable 'wear and tear' style part, it's kinda wrong to make them nigh on unremovable!

Splined front to match a standard (HG style) freehub would give far simpler removability, plus keep the full range of gear options :)

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong they work, but as chainrings are designed as a (relatively) replacable 'wear and tear' style part, it's kinda wrong to make them nigh on unremovable!

Splined front to match a standard (HG style) freehub would give far simpler removability, plus keep the full range of gear options :)

Never thought of that! What a mint idea. Can realy think of any downside either!

Owen

www.aspirevelotech.com :)

Free shipping world wide. Just half dollars and there's your UK price :)

Thats well cheap!

Great idea! It would be simple enought to start making 'casette style' freewheels (instead of 'screw on') - and it would make it alot easier to get them back off :P