Chains, Stiff, Snapped And Doing My Head In!

trial-biker-ryan

Righttttttttt....

Basicly the deal is,

- i ride a zhi zm1, custom spec...

Im running and echo gold cog (18t) , and rear profile...

Iv had the bike well over a year, and ever since the day iv got it, kmc chains have either been to long or to short (understand what im getting at?)

I decided to get a gusset slink half link chain, £11 i think... the half links aloud me to overcome the problem.. Unfortunatly, a few days later the enire chain had just become full, and i mean full of stiff links.. Really stiff.. so i went back to using a kmc with one gusset half link init to make the chain fit properly on my bike,

But, with the stress and stain of trials the half links always seem to pull and stretch to the point they snap in the middle, or become unbeleveably stiff...

So basicly my question is..

Where can i buy a decent half link chain that will DEFONATELY (sp?) Not stretch and become stiff, or snap?

Cheers guys

Ryan

I'm surprised you can't use tensioners to get around this.

Maybe a shadow conspiracy one?

Halflink chains are known to stretch quite a bit. Apparently. I've never snapped mine, a reluctant one, and I know a guy who uses one on his zoot, dunno which make though. His is in no danger of snapping. I don't think it's stretched much either.

All half-link chains stretch unfortunately, but the Gusset ones are pretty shitty at any rate. If you can get a single link from a Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 chain and run that it might be alright.

What's your chain-line like? Can't remember if you said in your post, but that's often a cause for chains eating shit.

I've never snapped mine, a reluctant one

Yea my reluctant half link was amazing for 6 months...ish? Maybe a bit more? But when it started snapping it really went badly, (aka 4 times in 1 ride... or more, i lost count) on the upside it snapped 7 times before i brought a new one, but after 1 link gone they were all shot, well worth the money though!

them shadow thingys are supposed to be reet, but can you not just add an extra notch onto your snail cams or something?

cant be that hard to set up.

Matx

Ahh, i would.. but when the chains long, and i put it to right tention, the wheels to far back, for the brake mounts.. get me? :S

Cheers so far guys?

Also this shadow chain looks pretty good, whats the odd on this streching and becoming all stiff links again?

Ryan

What gear are you running? 18/?

Running that half link in a normal chain ends up directing stress upon that link mainly causing it to go. Well that's the theory anyway, and it's been backed up from examples anyway.

Have you tried modifying your dropouts? Get a file and cut into that dropout more.

How long were you running the chains for generally?

All half-link chains stretch unfortunately, but the Gusset ones are pretty shitty at any rate. If you can get a single link from a Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 chain and run that it might be alright.

What's your chain-line like? Can't remember if you said in your post, but that's often a cause for chains eating shit.

Yep, the interlock is pretty damn good. I used a single interlock half link in my KMC for over a year without any problems. Meant my chain tension was much nicer too.

Running that half link in a normal chain ends up directing stress upon that link mainly causing it to go. Well that's the theory anyway, and it's been backed up from examples anyway.

It'll stretch fractionally more than the rest of the links in the chain, but that's pretty much it? Haven't snapped a single half-link when I've run them in my 510HX chains.

I reckon there's a problem somewhere. A 353mm chainstay should work perfectly with 18/12. Maybe you should measure your chainstays to check. I can't actually think of sprocket wear coming into play either. Maybe just buy a cheap chain and see if that works? I'm confused, the 510hx is the best chain for under £10.