Front Dob Rims. Tarty Dont Seem To Stock Them Anymore

rudirudirudirudirudi

We found the rims to be pretty good, but only for the right riders. The 'problems' came about with riders buying super lightweight rims then destroying them quickly even though we tried to steer them towards something more durable.

Plus, DOB seem to have disappeared, no contact at all from them despite numerous emails :(

DOB seem to have disappeared

Maybe all the workers are locked up in a Chinese prison, because they tried to tell the BBC how bad the human rights are over there?

... im just throwing that idea out there :P

We found the rims to be pretty good, but only for the right riders. The 'problems' came about with riders buying super lightweight rims then destroying them quickly even though we tried to steer them towards something more durable.

Surly thats the rider's fault for destroying something they've been warned about. just as long as they don't blame you for their ignorance. Its a shame french rim makers Mavic, dont make a trials rim. The next generation of trials rims need to be eyelitted so that the spokes stay stiffer for longer. And the amount of rims trials riders go through worldwide, cant be a healthy carbon footprint on the environment. not that we give a toss about that anyway :-

Edited by Rusevelt

Surly thats the rider's fault for destroying something they've been warned about. just as long as they don't blame you for their ignorance. Its a shame french rim makers Mavic, dont make a trials rim. The next generation of trials rims need to be eyelitted so that the spokes stay stiffer for longer. And the amount of rims trials riders go through worldwide, cant be a healthy carbon footprint on the environment. not that we give a toss about that anyway :-

Can't say I've ever had an issue with uneyeletted rims and as far as I'm aware nobody that I ride/speak to much about things with has either

There are a few rims about which can be obtained eyeletted, and others don't worry about them as you'll save about 50g from an already fairly well/overbuilt rim in many cases

All the bashers out there seem to kill the sidewalls and circularness of their rims before 'spoke stiffness' comes into play anyway

I've also heard only good things about the front rims really. Seems to be the one thing DOB have done right :P

I guess so, but it creates a lot of un-necessary hassle/aggro and tarnishes the reputation of the product.
Frankly i don't see how a minority of bad comments can affect a product rep. take Hope Pro-2 trials hub for example, everyone knows the exceptional quality of hope's bicycle products, but that didn't tarnish the company when the first batch of pro-2 hubs where sent back with cracked hub shells. that was a major product failure for hope. i guess hope just hoped that the 2nd generation Pro-2 hub would prove more successful and win back confidence (not that they needed it) with trials riders. Edited by Rusevelt

Mavic would do very well to make trials rims - thanks to disk brakes I've been running the same D521 rims on my hardtail since 2002, and the rim is still as good as new (Rear's on it's third hub though) so they're not getting a lot of repeat rim sales then... Mavic have started pushing their wheelsets for this reason AFAIK as the bearings/freewheels in the wheels crap themselves before the rim needs replacing, so people get persuaded into buying a whole new wheel when all they really wanted was a part for the hub (Especially when the difficulty in getting some spares from Mavic is accounted for)...

The trials market is one of the last high end markets where rims will wear out through grinding even if people aren't tacoing them and where they could unquestionably be competitive - and it's not like France has a shortage of top class trials riders either... Please Mavic - start making trials rims - based on their naming convention it could be called the T746 :)...