What Tensioner

Dan81

What tensioner can anyone recommend?

The cheap ones (4jeri etc) seem a bit too cheap to be any good, DMR ones look crap...do I get sprung? non sprung?

Ive done a search but can't find out anything so can anyone recommend me a good one.

Edited by Dan81

deffo get a sprung one, they are simply better.

The Mr Control and 4-Jeri tensioners are actually pretty good!

One piece of advice I always give is check how tight your chain is when its the shortest it will go. If it only pushes a cm or so below the rear cog, then you can generally use a single wheeled tensioner with great success. If the chain is really slack, I would recommend a double wheeled tensioner like a Rohloff or Tensile as it improves the chain wrap around the rear cog and reduces chances of the chain skipping.

What tensioner can anyone recommend?

The cheap ones (4jeri etc) seem a bit too cheap to be any good, DMR ones look crap...do I get sprung? non sprung? can anyone recommend me a good one?

Generally you get what you pay for, I have a 4-jeri on one bike that I use as it lets me run 2 gears. It keeps ok tension, is pretty sturdy, but not hard to hit and it does tend to bend the mech hanger. On my other bike I have a 74kingz which keeps immense tension and is really out of the way. I also hear Rohloff are great, and if you have a sub 13/14 rear sprocket it would be better to get a two jockey wheel system as it gives better chain wrap with smaller sprockets. I have never owned an un-sprung tensioner, but I have heard that they can slip and loose tension so I would go for sprung.

In short, buy a 74kingz if you can afford it. If not, and you tend not to hit the mech/mech hanger go for a sprung tensioner with jockey wheel.

I really like the look of the 74Kingz (even if £30 seems a bit steep!)...not having to worry about mech/mech hangar getting trashed would be great....so they work ok though with no jockey wheel or guide? Doesn't it damage the chain?

Tensile looks good but I just think I might as well run gears if im going to have that - its not that different to having a short cage mech? Rolhoff looks lovely but £50 for something that could easily break (+hangar).

I think as long as it works well (seems to have mixed reviews) its the 74Kingz then.

I really like the look of the 74Kingz (even if £30 seems a bit steep!)...not having to worry about mech/mech hangar getting trashed would be great....so they work ok though with no jockey wheel or guide? Doesn't it damage the chain?

Tensile looks good but I just think I might as well run gears if im going to have that - its not that different to having a short cage mech? Rolhoff looks lovely but £50 for something that could easily break (+hangar).

I think as long as it works well (seems to have mixed reviews) its the 74Kingz then.

Like I said, no complaints with mine, though I have yet to give it a real bash, but even if I do then they sell replacement springs. The runner wont do any damage to the chain, and as long as you set it up ok (not try and tension the crap out of it) it'll be fine man. Plus the thing only weighs 52g!

Think this single speed kit is gonna cost more than I'd thought - doesnt seem much point putting rubbish kit on if i'll only have to replace it more quickly. 74Kingz it is then.

Think gonna sell off some of the stuff sat around my parents garage......Anyone wanna buy a hope big'un on a D521 for their bit on the side bike?!

Go for something sprung as they generally tend to run smoother and be easier to set up, if you do go for fixed then steer well clear of the dmr sts as it is truly crap and just bends like cheese, I honestly don't know why they are so popular. Try and build your own 74kings esque tensioner, they really are quite simple.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16134

I've got one that looks identical to that, but it has black jockey wheels and the little tabs that cover them are missing.

Maybe worth a try, because mine is absolutely epic, you can also take the bolt out that screws to the mech hanger and put the hub bolt straight through it.

I get some mad tension on mine, for that price it's got to be worth a look?

IMGP0716.jpg

There's mine, I didn't actually modify it or anything, it was like that when I bought the bike, but if it is the same tensioner that's just been rebranded, you'll love it.

Edited by Muel

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16134

I've got one that looks identical to that, but it has black jockey wheels and the little tabs that cover them are missing.

I like yours, much better not using hangar..... but the chainreaction ones with the tabs and red wheels looks a bit crap

Edited by Dan81

I use a 74Kings and i have had no problems with mine, I've been using it for two months and i find it to be excellent for tension!

Its taken quite abit of abuse and still going strong!

One of my friends was using his for months before the tensioner broke and when it did, he just used a hacksaw blade to replace it, works just as well!

Hey Muel, I'm using th Da Bomb RL2 tensioner too! Slighty modded. I'm still waiting for Steve to get back to me on the Heatsink tensioner :P

2965286947_0ac88e7033_o.jpg

2966133976_4f84f8f586_o.jpg

I'll give it a try to see if mine could be fitted through the hub bolt, as that would be definitely better!

Edit: couldn't fit. There's some thick spacer thingi sticking out which I can't remove it.

Some questions, your hanger was cut off?

And what chain are you using?

I like yours, much better not using hangar..... but the chainreaction ones with the tabs and red wheels looks a bit crap

I so agree. It's really an eye-sore seeing it stand out.

Edited by spaceman

Hey Muel, I'm using th Da Bomb RL2 tensioner too! Slighty modded. I'm still waiting for Steve to get back to me on the Heatsink tensioner :P

{Pics.}

I'll give it a try to see if mine could be fitted through the hub bolt, as that would be definitely better!

Edit: couldn't fit. There's some thick spacer thingi sticking out which I can't remove it.

Some questions, your hanger was cut off?

And what chain are you using?

I so agree. It's really an eye-sore seeing it stand out.

Errm, yes my hanger has been cut, and I'm using a Pro2 hub with M10 TI bolts.

I've never seen a standard one, so I don't know what has been done to it, but when I bought it from Tarty Adam he definately said it was either a 4-Jeri or a Gusset, I can't remember.

The whole bolt thingy that goes onto the mech hanger has been removed, there's nothing attached to that end apart from the arm thingy, it's a super neat job. I've no idea how he removed it though.

It's a KHE Collapse chain.

dont go for the new tensile chain tensiorner there crap Chandler cost £20 and it broke within 3 hours of riding.

Chandler did not brake it, He came back to me and said it was too close to his 15t sprocket and wanted a refund. So I gave him one. He needed the long arm one, Unfortunately I didn't have stock of that model. So in actual fact the tensioner was fine, It just didn't fit. Just thought I point that out (Y)

Edited by Joe@Onza