Carbon Belt Drive, No More Chains!

Mr Motivator

why's everyone trying to replaces the chain, what's wrong with it?!

I guess for commuters these new chainless bikes have theyre advantages but personally i won't be moving from the good ol' chain untill they create a bike that moves using brain waves...

Well as far as I can see...

Advantages for trials;

Smoother

More responsive than a chain

Just as strong

Singlespeed to suit most riders

Lighter

Looks different and its pretty cool

Disadvantages for trials;

Singlespeed, no good for international stock comps

If you land on it, might dammage the belt more easy than a chain

You've got to cut your frame to get the belt on

Edited by Sammy D

when i watched that video most people were making the comment that it felt very resposive , but then i noticed that all the bikes had chriskings on and in all the pictures . My point is that shurly thats makes the pedal stroke more responsive , another disadvantage of the belt drive is that they have a slipping alowence but i would think that aslong as the belt is maintained and well reinforced it would be safe . i would happily try it :)

Singlespeed, no good for international stock comps

You've got to cut your frame to get the belt on

single speed is allowed everywhere now?

the frame needing to be split will make any frame useless for impacts, unless you had something like that onza with the crazy chainstays.

poo the smallest sprocket is 20t...

I like this. I think it's a really good idea. Not a new thing though; belt driven bkes have been around for a while. There are more pros and less cons than with a chain as far as I can tell.

This system coupled with the dropped chainstay, like the onza prototype would be great for trials.

I also like it. These belts are bound to be quite strong, generally belts of this kind are, when designed for a specific purpose of course. I hope this catches on and they eliminate the need to cut your frame in half to get it on. It looks like you could also fine tune your gear ratio with one of these. And if the ones used on that website weigh 80g, imagine how strong a 300g belt would be.

Motorbike

The return of the Risc brake!!!!

I reckon it'd be awesme! As Inur said, if these are supposedly as strong as a standard chains and weigh 80g, a heavier, beefed up version could be insanely strong! If only they could work minus the frame cutting :(

If that can suspend an 800 pound harley off the ground then its definately capible for trials.

Only thing i would see a bit dodgy is that the belt might slide off the rear cog if it doesnt have anything to keep it on. And dont car engines also run these type of belts?

I wouldn’t trust it how often do you have to change a cam belt? and how often do you have to change a cam chain? the main reason car companies started using belts over chains is cost and noise reduction from what I understand. I wouldn’t trust a belt with my teeth I enjoy food to much also haven’t other companies brought similar things out? getting parts will also be difficult unless it becomes common. would the tension damage the hub bearings at all as I would guess that you have to run a much larger tension than you would with a chain.

bendy

would the tension damage the hub bearings at all as I would guess that you have to run a much larger tension than you would with a chain.

I'd be a bit sceptical about this as well. Its bad enough if you get an overly tight chain.

Also, if you feel like a change of ratios, you can't just add a couple of links.

However, I think it would be interesting to give one a go although i don't fancy a dropped stay bike (like Onza) or cutting a slit in my frame. Although the method they've used looks ok and the amount of frames about nowadays with the rear dropouts bolted on/adjustable by bolts I would think that it wouldn't bee too hard to get something to work.