Fitness Thread

Davetrials

How do you deal with other impacts on your ankle? Does jumping hurt? Not that I'm suggesting you just jump, my dad owns and runs a military fitness gym which I attend as part of my marathon training, so I should be able to sort out a good cardio routine for you to try without any equipment at all.

if i put my bad foot down 1st walking off a kurb, it can sometimes come close to flooring me it hurts that much..

in terms of finace no.

physical ability

yes.

Any cheap, crap, old bike, as long as it has tall enough gears and rolls. Just get out and cycle, it's good cardio work, should be ok on your ankle and it's free once you've got the bike.

Check out your local free ads or gumtree site, someone might even be giving an old bike away.

Eat healthy food thats low in fat (Buy one issue of mens fitness of whatever and they often have big guides to weekly eating routines)

Run 3 times a week at maximum work rate for around 3 miles (aim for under 25 mins) depending on the elevation of course...Aim for a route with lots of variety though.

Do 100 press ups, sit ups, pull ups a day (not hard if you break it into 5 sets of 20)

Learn to skip and skip for 20 minutes solidly twice a day.

Depends how extreme you go in all fairness, how fit you are already etc etc...lots of variables which would change the routine.

edit: Didn't notice the ankle injury - change the running for cycling as others have already said. You're screwed for skipping...Why not just get the ankle sorted and go from there?

I'm by no means an expert on this but i was always under the impression weights were for gaining muscle bulk (obviously i'm generalising) and cardio-vascular stuff was for reducing body fat/improving overall fitness.

So I'd go with swimming, rowing, cycling, skipping etc and the pullups and stuff as James suggested.

Get swimming Dave, it can really help with injuries because it excersises the joint but is much more gentle than running or cycling. It worked wonders with my Mum's back and my shoulder. (Obviously you ankle is a bit more damaged than that, but it might help, and has a lower risk of making things worse).

It also works pretty much every muscle in your body.

The best way to loose fat (apparantly), is interval training, so you'd do two legnths at a relatively normal speed, then do one legnth flat out, then repeat. It tricks the body into digging into its fat stores or something. I'm not sure how effective it is though because I've never done it. :P

Pretty off topic, but is it possible to build some muscle without going to the gym/spending hundreds on weight sets? I.E just doing press ups, pull ups, and sit ups? and any other exersizes? Id quite like to build some upper body/arm muscle up but Im SERIOUSLY skint at the moment.

Get a chin bar at home or something.

Who said weights sets had to cost hundreds of pounds? Are you looking at solid gold dumbells or something? If you want cheap get down to your nearest second hand store, places like that allways have sets of free weights and stuff in there. If you're too tight for that just use things you find around the house, use your imagination.

Pretty off topic, but is it possible to build some muscle without going to the gym/spending hundreds on weight sets? I.E just doing press ups, pull ups, and sit ups? and any other exersizes? Id quite like to build some upper body/arm muscle up but Im SERIOUSLY skint at the moment.

I found that press ups helped alot with building my arms and shoulders back up (after not riding for a couple of years and starting again), still find that riding gives a more enjoyable workout :)

if you really want weights i got some sitting in my garage that i could either lend or sell to you...

pm me if your interested

Are you serious?

He lives in Abingdon and you're in Warrington. Do think he's going to drive all the way up to borrow some weights? And posting them is going to cost more than the actual weights.