Echo Sl 09

rathergoodpie

Well, its been a while coming, but I finally decided to get my arse in gear and buy a frame that didn't already have a crack in it.

Massive thanks to Tartybikes and Bigman.

Hope you like. Pictures below (in Bigman's Post)

Ps now have a set of VGC black fattys for sale

post-1016-1227045721_thumb.jpg

post-1016-1227045776_thumb.jpg

post-1016-1227045813_thumb.jpg

post-1016-1227045830_thumb.jpg

Edited by rathergoodpie

Duuuuuude! I e-mailed you the good pictures for you to post!

Ah well, seeing as Rob obviously didn't check his e-mails, here are the good pics:

pb180026hq8.jpg

pb180027vm0.jpg

pb180028bn7.jpg

pb180029fj0.jpg

pb180030pt5.jpg

I realy hope Rob enjoys this bike, i built it for him the past few days, i was very surprised by the quality of the new echo parts actualy, the frame and forks are very nice! light too!

Specification if anybody wants to know:

Echo control 09 frame

Echo Sl 4 bolt forks

Pazzaz Stem

Trialtech Bars

Front hope XC built onto white Trialtech sport rim, try-all tyre

Rear CK classic built to white koxx rim, try-all tyre

Middleburn RS7 sq taper cranks, custom milled 20t bash

Viz sq taper BB 127.5mm

FSA orbit XLII headset

Magura Hs33 front and rear with rock blue pads and 4 finger lever blades, echo urban 4 bolt booster rear.

Gusset pedals

Adam

Amazing looking bike! So clean and I love the black Middleburns on it. It is good to see that a person can run a King QR in those dropouts. I just love those tensioners.

Bigman...How do you hold a middleburn bash in a lathe? Please explain. P.S. you take the best bike pics.

Edited by toyota200x

Bigman...How do you hold a middleburn bash in a lathe? Please explain. P.S. you take the best bike pics.

To hold the bash into the lathe i have a tool that is made from a hexagonal bar with a rounded end that sits inside the splies of the middleburn bash, there is then a thread where a large washer is clamped down with a nut to hold the bash firm, i would get some pics but my camera is out of batteries.

Adam

To hold the bash into the lathe i have a tool that is made from a hexagonal bar with a rounded end that sits inside the splies of the middleburn bash, there is then a thread where a large washer is clamped down with a nut to hold the bash firm, i would get some pics but my camera is out of batteries.

Adam

That would be the best way to do it if you're doing a few. When I turned mine down a few years back I just simply clamped onto a small bit at the back of the bash with 3 jaws. It's only about 3mm wide but I got a good enough grip on it. Then I took small cuts to make sure it didn't fly off. Easy enough.

RIDDEN FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Just been out for a quick ride, and thought i'd give a quick review. This is comparable to my previous ride, a 07 czar...

gallery_1016_7_63506.jpg

Front end - Echo SL Forks

Firstly, compared to the fatty forks on my czar, running a 205mm disc, the front end on the Echo feels super light and responsive. Whether that is because the front end is a little higher, or the fact that the front end IS actually lighter im not sure, but it has certainly made a massive difference. Also the move from disc back to maggie has been a positive one, I'm of the thinking now that the weight gain to modulation ratio is leaning me back towards rim brakes on the front (so long as you can put up with the squealing). The bike now manuals and bunnyhops significantly better, and the front wheel feels pin point accurate for placing. Its also a slightly less hunched riding position, which is obviously more comfortable.

General Riding

I was genuinely surprised how 'flicky' this bike feels for such a long frame. I would honestly say its not far off the ride of an Ashton, which for a comp frame, is pretty impressive. I put this down to the weight. It is Ridiculously light. Again, this might be down to the lightening of the front end, but it certainly rides naturally (that is to say it feels good as soon as you jump on it). On the back wheel its solid as anything, and the geo feels spot on. The frame is also surprisingly stiff, but i wouldn't want to run the back brake without a booster. The urban 4 bolt I'm using does the job well, without adding much weight (which, to be honest, is the main point of this frame).

Extras

Although its obviously hard to tell from a single ride, both myself and Bigma have been impressed with the little touches on this frame; the hub tension bolts are rock solid and easy to use, as well as being fine (so far) with a quick release (most riders will probably choose to run bolts). One disappointment I have found is that the frame cable ties are a little cheap (one has snapped off already), its a shame they didn't introduce internal routing, but this is a small complaint against an otherwise excellent frame. My only other complaint would be that the echo frame graphics are a little unadventurous compared to other offerings (maybe its because I'm a graphic designer!) as companies like koxx / monty make a great deal more effort to 'snazz up' their frames. The stickers are however, on top of the paint (which is an excellent finish btw) so can be easily removed/replaced.

Overview

Overall, when you consider this is a £400 frame setup, you get a great deal for your money (i know this is more than previous echos) when compared to similar setups from Koxx ect. In terms of the styling I personally love it, as its going back to the simple lines of bikes like the es4 / original levelboss but I know this wont be to everyones tastes. Personally i think that too many frames are over-designed (i'll let the Boxx off cause its so friggin' sexy).

Basically if you want a cheap(ish) comp frame, that is 'flickable' enough for street stuff but looks quite understated you definitely wont be disappointed. I can safely say i havn't been as comfortable on a bike since riding my echo urban back in 2003. and how i miss that bike... :)

gallery_1016_7_88491.jpg

Hope this was helpful to anyone thinking of buying. Any questions just give me a shout.

Cheers

Rob

thank you so much for the review - i have been waiting for something like this! one further question: was that czar the long version? do you miss the 385 cs for gaps, sidehops in terms of leverage?

Yeah czar was the long version. Feels just as stable on the back wheel, but much less cumbersome. You can really place the back wheel where you want it.