Caelifera Takes On The World

Dang!

My mate has a tensioner like that on his GasGas EC300 enduro bike. Although instead of a thumb wheel, it uses a larger bolt (bigger wheel) with a normal nut on it, so you can use a spanner on it.

If you get that thread dirty, which could happen, then you could get the thumbwheel on it stuck, and by the looks of it there isn't really a way to get any tools on it to help it turn!?

I do like the intergrated tensioner idea though, but I think a normal nut on there with enough space for a spanner would be better. Then if the nut does get ruined, you can easily replace it!

Explain?

Both ends of that bolt will be hidden.

Combine this image

dropout%20rev1.jpg

With this image

pbpic2891739.jpg

So imagine there is an allen head on the left hand end of the bolt in the top pic, allowing you to use an allen key incase the thumb wheel becomes too hard to turn.

Either that or use a bolt with an allen head built into the end, like a grub screw, but bigger and longer.

But this built in tensioner would be so much better than snail cams! I can't see why you'd want to use snail cams over this? :blink:

Jon: The end of the long bolt will be inside the chainstay, so you wouldn't be able to get to it at all!

Edited by Dan6061

i say put the head on the end of the first image just incase the tpa thing does get stuck so you can adjust another way. otherwise if the tpa thing was to get stuck because of a bit of dirt, people will have to start carrying a hammer and flat headed screw driver round with them to make it twist. i would like to see this in action for when someone has to set up there wheel. make a short video please :P

I did think that earlier!

Have the head of the bolt inside the block that pushes the axle, so you drill a 5mm hole for the M5 bolt (or whatever) then a 10mm hole just deep enough for the head of the bolt to sit in (10mm was a guess!)

So like said, if the thumbwheel does get stuck, you can still get the bolt out to clean up the threads/replace the bolt, as long as you can find a way to stop the thumbwheel from turning!

Please explain to me how you'd do up an allen key bolt where the head is INSIDE the chainstay?

instead of the bolt right at end could we have one like near the dropout so when you screw, it turns the tpa?? not sure how to do it though

ignore that lol just looked at cad drawing again lol

Edited by Ashley-Wood

Exactly. I was hoping you'd soon understand... :P

I think the allen key head inside the wheel pushing bit (what's it called?) and the thumbwheel is probably the best idea. As long as all the threads are strong enough (helicoiled?) then I can't see it causing that many problems really!

Exactly. I was hoping you'd soon understand... :P

I think the allen key head inside the wheel pushing bit (what's it called?) and the thumbwheel is probably the best idea. As long as all the threads are strong enough (helicoiled?) then I can't see it causing that many problems really!

or just steel tpa bit....

if i was in the line of riders to get this frame i would be worried about people building it in a rush and crossing/stripping threads, there is a strong possibility imo

but so far the ideas and inclusions in the design look totally sick. looks like it'll turn out nice again....

and then they can put their name on it like george forman

Alrighty- then.

The M5 bolt that is the threaded component of the adjuster is in fact a grub screw, if and when it gets mangled, is can be taken apart. The TPA could be

out of Steel, but I just didn't think it necessary. If it fails it can always be replaced with a M5 nut. The grub screw has upset threads on the very end so

it stays stationary within the axle pusher. It really doesn't take much force to tighten a chain, it's just a challenge to keep it there. Snail cams can get

dented and loose their position or get sloppy. This has a lot more surface area, and requires the thumb wheel to turn on an axis perpendicular to the axle to loosen.

only thing im thinking of which could be bad is when you miss a side hop or back wheel you slide down onto it which will just keep mashing it over time it may even bend it? im not sure, still is a great idea and will work fine.

You wouldn't hit it al all!

The bolt runs through the dropout, and into the chainstay. So it's protected! The only thing you could hit is the adjuster, but even that'd be hard to do as it doesn't stick out so much.