Where Should I Go , What Should I Do ?

IOLO

ok basically

i got dumped a little while ago

this now means the only thing keeping me where i am is my job.

im going to quit within 2-3 months, just got a bit bored with it.

i have some savings nothing massive, but about £2k hopefully £3k ish by the time i leave work.

not that the money i have really affects where to go much.

by the time i leave work, i should have a good bike mechanic qualification and be quite well qualified to lead xc bike rides.

now i have some ideas, but i could do with suggestions....

i might go to vancouver/whistler area in canada and ride DH lots as well as trials.

maybe work fixing bikes ?? or leading freeride kinda stuff ??

i might go to nothern spain, (i can speak spanish ok ish) and look for some work leading xc trip and stuff...or mending bikes again.

not very bike related, but i really fancy going somwhere really random... india or sumthing, and buying a motorbike and riding about for a month

????? or maybe africa ??

travel round france-spain-italy etc.. in my mates massive camper van, doing kinda trials demo busking ???

or wait for my mate to save up a bit, and then do a massive touring bike ride somewhere ace and strange for about 2 months.?

give me some ideas guys !!

im not bothered about going to 'dodgey' countries

i dont mind if some things scare the hell out of me

i would like to ride trials lots,, if theres no trials involved then i would probably just go away for 1month-6weeks

for accomodation im well up for arriving sumwhere and living like a tramp till i can buy a van to sleep in or sumthing.

i have friends i can stay with for a bit near whistler.

inspire me !

iolo.

Canada..... Somewhere I've been and loved. The scene out there is amazing. Idea might be to google some shops out there and contact them, ask if theres any places going. Talk about your experience and love for bikes. Or another idea become a cycle guide. Tour guide style. Take trips out and what not. There are a few companies who do this, along with stuff like zip treks. Get to be out doors and do fun stuff. Suggestion would be to work for a bit gaining money and then do a tour for yourself. Pic places you want to go to and go.

If you went to India you could stay there for 4-5 months with £2000. I guess you have to go with loads of mates to make it amazing.

Why dont you get a cheap diesel van, and a tent and go camping/riding/climbing/drinking/sexing around europe for a few months? That'd be sweeeet.

This'll depend on how outward going you are... I'd love to do it - but don't have the people skills/social confidence it'd need.

Drop everything you've got. Take only a backpack full of vitals that you can carry.

Have a goal of getting somewhere (India, for example). Keep enough money for a plain ticket home.

Leave the house on foot, and just do it.

Walk.

Get the bus when you get tired.

Get a train, if you feel you're not going to make it.

Just try and experiance as much of the travelling as possible.

Put yourself through some serious shit - you'll feel great for it.

If you find somewhere you like on the way - stay there for a bit.

If you want to stay for a while longer - stay for a while longer. You don't HAVE to get to India - no-one's expecting you. Just head in that general direction every time you move on.

Maybe I'll get slated for even suggesting this - but I think it'd be f**king awesome.

Another huge vote for euro-tripping it!

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=123295

It'll give you the freedom to just do whatever, and go whereever you want, can visit some crazy people, crazy places, and do some crazier things!

I'd say the best bet is to set out some rough things you might wanna do, build something rough around that, but just leave yourself free. :)

Walk.

absolutley love this idea !!!

respect

Thailand

Jump on a train from bangkok for £20 down to the port down south (suri thani or summat), then get a boat for £13 to Koh Phangan. You can stay at a beach hut for £1.50 a night during the winter or £10 a night in summer. The beaches rock, food is about 50p for a curry, beer is cheap as chips and there is an endless supply of weed, shrooms and lsd. Otherwise you can ride elephants, motorbikes, tuk tuks or go to another island and do pretty much anything you want. Full moon parties are always amazing aswell!!! Oh and there is an amazing amount of natural to ride!

A plane ticket to Thailand shouldnt be too much either...maybe £400-£600.

That's a brilliant idea. But it could look a bit different in reality, waiting hours for a bus/train within a 5 mile radius of your house will make you want to go back home. I'd sort out a train ticket to a remote city in southern France and start the journey from there.

If i had the money, I'd go to Japan or on an adventure holiday. Something like off-roading through a tropical rainforest. It's savage but it's definitely going to be a thrilling experience.

Just look at it:

z4839438X.jpg

This'll depend on how outward going you are... I'd love to do it - but don't have the people skills/social confidence it'd need.

Drop everything you've got. Take only a backpack full of vitals that you can carry.

Have a goal of getting somewhere (India, for example). Keep enough money for a plain ticket home.

Walk.

Put yourself through some serious shit - you'll feel great for it.

If you find somewhere you like on the way - stay there for a bit.

If you want to stay for a while longer - stay for a while longer. You don't HAVE to get to India - no-one's expecting you. Just head in that general direction every time you move on.

Maybe I'll get slated for even suggesting this - but I think it'd be f**king awesome.

Thailand

Jump on a train from bangkok for £20 down to the port down south (suri thani or summat), then get a boat for £13 to Koh Phangan. You can stay at a beach hut for £1.50 a night during the winter or £10 a night in summer. The beaches rock, food is about 50p for a curry, beer is cheap as chips and there is an endless supply of weed, shrooms and lsd. Otherwise you can ride elephants, motorbikes, tuk tuks or go to another island and do pretty much anything you want. Full moon parties are always amazing aswell!!! Oh and there is an amazing amount of natural to ride!

A plane ticket to Thailand shouldnt be too much either...maybe £400-£600.

I'm definitely with one of these to, both things I want to do when I can.

all these ideas are brilliant guys !!!

thanks so much

Partz - cant believe you dug out that pic of my panda 4x4, oooohh i get so emotional ! loved that car !!

(got a LWB bling vw T4 at the mo, fworr) haha

please keep the ideas coming guys, im googling lots !!! loving it.

ohh im excited

iolo.

my brothers going to brazil i believe next year spending a couple weeks there whislt the mardigra (sp) is on traveling through the rain forest as well i had a quick look throught the brouchure looks really cool. i would like to go back into canada i went 2 years ago was great although i was with my college mates just walking around torontos huge shoppin mall and streets eatin huge pizzas :) and then walking all around niagra falls amazing.

Working on a cruise ship, get to circulate of least 12 different countrys and experience different cultures while getting paid, the cruise i went on did cycling tours which was a pretty basic 4-5 hour ride arround each country showing the places, never going to be very demanding but a great experience, loads of people arround etc. only downside is you have to sign up to 6 month minimum