Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

That was my problem. But for MSN and skype, the only way to get rid of them from the taskbar was to close the program fully as opposed to sending them to the icon tray next to the clock which is what I wanted. Sorted now, but there really should be an option on msn and skype to do that.

Also I just realized if I could set it so that it showed icons an not to group I wouldn't be able to tell the windows with the same icons apart so I guess that's why it's like that.

Edited by JT!

I had the model up from that motherboard, it was shockingly bad. I also wouldn't be using an no-name PSU with decent kit.

Depends how into it you want to get. If you want to do all the research and learn exactly what you want, then build it and spend time sorting out the air flow, cable management and other gubbins, then go for it. :P

If not, buy this and a wack a posh graphics card in it.

Anything i should look for specifically in a psu for it to be good? Connectors etc?

What are you powering?

If you have a big beasty graphics card then you'll want a more powerful one. I'm running a PCI-e graphics card but it's nothing special so I just power mine with a 550watt.

Connections are all fairly standard, it's just that expensive ones are less likely to blow up and take the rest of your PC with it!

You can also get modular PSU's that are tidier, but I know nothing about them really as I'm not too fussed about how tidy the inside of my case is :)

Well it's not pwering anything at the moment haha. I'm building a pc. Decided on a case, cooler master dominator 690 i think it is? fairly large case, Lots of fans and trays for hdd's and drives. also has a cable management thing and is easy on the eye.

Well it's not pwering anything at the moment haha. I'm building a pc. Decided on a case, cooler master dominator 690 i think it is? fairly large case, Lots of fans and trays for hdd's and drives. also has a cable management thing and is easy on the eye.

Sounds like you're going for a fairly good spec then?

Look for a modular PSU on Google, try and find something mid range (ie not major pricey nor too cheap) and post it up here - other people on here will be able to give you pointers about modular stuff, I've never used it.

Well im aiming for a high spec haha. Looking into stuff before I pay anything though. Is there any stuff that restricts what I need for other components? Like seperate connections for certain parts? I see stuff about 4 pin connectings and stuff?

There are a few psu calculators out there but this is one of the better ones, be sure to read the stuff at the bottom.

Wouldn't advise buying any cheap psu really and unless you are running an obscene number if cards that require 6/8pin you should be fine for connectors.

Yep!

Nope. :P

Depends on the legnth, some cases are limited to a short PSU. Most of the time this isn't an issue though.

We need a budget anyway, and what it'll be used for. Gaming/Video Editing/Overclocking/Modding/A Mixture?

Do you plan on watercooling it in the future? Or now? Or even phase cooling? :P

There isn't really a budget as it will be buil over time. But I'd prefer to not spend as much as possible haha. . Will be used for browsing, college work eventually editing and a by of gaming too. Didn't really plan on water cooling but this case has 2 holes on the back for that apparantly it sai in a video for it.

Well more in the region of £500, £750 or £5k? :P

Which case were you looking at? I have an Antec 300 at the moment which is great, but at some point I want to upgrade to a Haf X. Kinda getting bored of this whole modding/building scene now. Uni life is much more entertaining. I took my monster to uni with me and haven't played anything on it once since I arrived.

Umm probably somewhere around 500-750 I'd guess. I listed the case further up. Dominator 690 or something. I'd prefer to have a case I can further upgrade or add stuff into later on. Also prefer a cheaper case and spend more on the internals so it runs s oother. Found a gfx card on eBay. 1gb geforce 210 I remember off the top of y head. Mission to link back to as I'm on my phone was £44

Ok fair enough hha. I'll order that case in a bit.

Reccomendations on mother board, sound/graphics card ect? Also, whats the differences and advantages between amd and intel and the others?

Is this drive any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300430728618&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Don't need anything blu-ray.