Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

They are the network connections - however there is no wireless connection in there so I can only assume you haven't installed the drivers.

Have you tried connecting the laptop directly into the back of the router via ethernet cable? That should work and allow you internet access so you can download on it.

After that, go to the laptop manufactures website and search for your model of laptop, then into the appropriate category (networking) and download the required wireless drivers. Keep in mind that sometimes all driver packages do is unzip themselves (C:/DRIVERS) and will then need to be opened in there and run the .exe setup file (if its there).

If not, go to device manager (Control Panel>System>Device Manager) and find your wireless card within there (perhaps with a yellow ? symbol). Right click it, click 'Install' and direct the driver installation search to the C:/DRIVERS specific location - should install without an issue then.

Keep in mind that successful connections don't show themselves in the bottom right corner by default on XP - once everything is installed you'll have to right click the Wireless Connection in Network Connections and go to Properties, make sure the box at the bottom is ticked to show active connections in the toolbar.

They are the network connections - however there is no wireless connection in there so I can only assume you haven't installed the drivers.

Have you tried connecting the laptop directly into the back of the router via ethernet cable? That should work and allow you internet access so you can download on it.

After that, go to the laptop manufactures website and search for your model of laptop, then into the appropriate category (networking) and download the required wireless drivers. Keep in mind that sometimes all driver packages do is unzip themselves (C:/DRIVERS) and will then need to be opened in there and run the .exe setup file (if its there).

If not, go to device manager (Control Panel>System>Device Manager) and find your wireless card within there (perhaps with a yellow ? symbol). Right click it, click 'Install' and direct the driver installation search to the C:/DRIVERS specific location - should install without an issue then.

Keep in mind that successful connections don't show themselves in the bottom right corner by default on XP - once everything is installed you'll have to right click the Wireless Connection in Network Connections and go to Properties, make sure the box at the bottom is ticked to show active connections in the toolbar.

Just connected the laptop to the wireless router through an ethernet cable and it worked fine. Went into device manager and clicked on "update driver" and it didn't work, just scanned for a bit then said you need the original CD, useful.

Tried going onto the manufactures site as well and installing network drivers from there, didn't work either. Just can't find anything that says about wireless anywhere in the drivers or on the site. Would it be because I've installed service pack 3 and it used to have service pack 2 (i think)?

How can connecting to the internet be so hard, this is why PCs should die a slow death

Ok it looks like the net adapter (assuming the wireless one) is working but when I click properties nothing is entered for IP address, address type etc. Must have to do something for it to establish the connection to my wireless, but WHAT?

Edited by Rob_P

Just connected the laptop to the wireless router through an ethernet cable and it worked fine. Went into device manager and clicked on "update driver" and it didn't work, just scanned for a bit then said you need the original CD, useful.

Tried going onto the manufactures site as well and installing network drivers from there, didn't work either. Just can't find anything that says about wireless anywhere in the drivers or on the site. Would it be because I've installed service pack 3 and it used to have service pack 2 (i think)?

How can connecting to the internet be so hard, this is why PCs should die a slow death

Ok it looks like the net adapter (assuming the wireless one) is working but when I click properties nothing is entered for IP address, address type etc. Must have to do something for it to establish the connection to my wireless, but WHAT?

Can you post up a screenshot of your Device Manager list and also the make/model of your laptop?

I'm assuming this card came with the laptop and isnt an aftermarket fit?

(PS. You're IP Address will be obtained from your router, so you shouldn't have to alter any of that. If you cannot get anywhere near connecting in the first place then the IP settings won't make much of a difference. But for now, I'd concentrate on the drivers).

Will do but first I'm going to install everything again from a proper XP disk as it's already got a virus.

Yeah it's got the wireless card built into the laptop, it's a gateway MX6926b

I'll update if any better in a few days, cheers anyway

So i guess it's my turn to post my problem... :(

The problem is actually pretty well known, but i think too many have asked it on the internet and that's why I can't really get the answer I'd like.

So: I bought a Nvidia Gtx 460 yesterday, built it in this morning before riding, and now, as I am using it i notice that the colours arent clear, text & pictures arent sharp etc. I've had this problem before already once with my old Gt8800 and could solve it with a different driver. Now this time that doesen't seem to work...

I'm running Windows 7.

I hope someone can help!

Thanks

Geoffrey

By the way, with "colours not clear" I mean that it all looks a bit like the "sepia" option to take photos that you have on your mobile phone. (white looks creamy/mixed with brown)

I did unistall and reinstall all the drivers. And I can't be bothered to install windows again as I actually only just did it not long ago..

Thanks anyway ;)

Edit: I managed to correct the sharpness by playing around in the menue of the monitor itself :) Was something called "Phase"!

But I still have the bad-ish colours :(

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Ok slight progress. Now finally managed to install a fresh copy of windows home and installed service pack 2 from disk. Problem was even though it was a genuine copy it kept saying it couldn't detect the hardrive, found out this is because of some sata driver conflicting. Had to download the driver and buy an external floppy drive (whyyyyy) to install it on, then while booting from disk press F6 to install driver, kept freezing. So then used a program called nlite to slipstream the drivers into a copy of windows, created an iso file, burnt to disk, worked! hooray! So now I'm kind of back to where I was, with a version of windows but still with no wireless.

It would appear I'm in need of this....... WPA2 wireless patch

However it wants a net connection to "validate" your copy of windows to download it. Now my problem is that even when I connect the laptop straight to the wireless router with a LAN cable it dosen't work, annny suggestions?

You're complicating things for yourself. Go here and download the Broadcom driver under Network drivers to a USB stick, then open it on your laptop. Et Voila, should have working wireless.

Edit: If that doesn't work, it's probably the marvel one...

Edited by JDâ„¢

Downloaded both of those and that enabled me to connect to the router through a cable. Downloaded the WAP2 patch and updated the network drivers, BOOM! done, thank god for that!!! cheers to anyone who tried to help

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my Fn button has seemed to have stopped functioning.

When I press and hold the Fn button, the led comes on saying it's pressed. But when I press any of the F keys, nothing happens of any of them. The F keys also work on their own. :blink:

Ok, my Fn button has seemed to have stopped functioning.

When I press and hold the Fn button, the led comes on saying it's pressed. But when I press any of the F keys, nothing happens of any of them. The F keys also work on their own. :blink:

The Fn button normally only works with keys which have a symbol the same colour that Fn is written in. Can't remember from my last PC, but I can't remember the F keys having them. They are already 'Fn' buttons on their own...

My F keys (f1-f12) all have those symbols on them. So do many other buttons about my keyboard. However they don't work anymore - they used to once upon a time.

Windows 7, but my OS and specs of my laptop shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's a Toshiba if that helps.

...ok

There is actually 1 fn buttons that's working, and that's the ability to switch the fn key to change to the numberpad instead of letters. And this can be locked on. So the Fn key is working, it's just that it only works with one button. :S

Edited by JT!

Windows 7, but my OS and specs of my laptop shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's a Toshiba if that helps.

...ok

There is actually 1 fn buttons that's working, and that's the ability to switch the fn key to change to the numberpad instead of letters. And this can be locked on. So the Fn key is working, it's just that it only works with one button. :S

It was actually so people might know whether it's a specific problem with a certain brand/line/OS/key combo, but being as you can't be arsed to type a simple spec I can't be arsed to try doing your Googling for you. God you're a f**kwit sometimes.

Go to the Toshiba site, download the latest keyboard drivers, uninstall the old ones, install the new ones, ignore unhelpful replies and report back.

Always do!

I've got a list of about77 different things and nothing that seems to be keyboard drivers. :S

Ok problem is half solved. I found a topic where someone was asking the same question and I downloaded the Toshiba Value Added Package and that did fix it. It even brought back the menu which shows a long the top when you press the Fn button which I'd forgot even happened. But then it just went away again and everything stopped working.

Any idea as to why it keeps going away?

If I was looking for a PC, something that could play 1080 HD flawlessly whilst simultaneously ripping a dvd (or some similar kind of processing going on in the background, don't want to have to shut down things to watch a movie) with a pretty big hard drive, maybe around 700gb with a blu ray player. How much would I be looking at spending? What kind of specs would I be looking at? Link to an example would be excellent.