Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Another problem with girlfriends laptop after fresh install. The sound isn't working which tells me the drivers are missing but on the gateway website the drivers are only listed for windows vista and this is XP, it even came with XP so why they list vista, god knows. Tried going into the device manager and using right click update driver, no luck. Any ideas? It's a gateway MX6926b

Also the screen is in full widescreen stretch mode, resolution is completely off and everything looks short and fat. Only res settings are 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768, needs to be more.

cheers

Have you actually tried using the driver? I use vista drivers with xp.

Is it possible to have Excel backup files onto an FTP server? Or does anyone perhaps know of some backup software that will automatically backup files? I'm looking for either something integrated with Excel or a little app that will run in the background and take care of important data.

Right guys, I'm wanting to do a little bit of a RAM swap with someone on the off chance you have what I need floating around, because I've been generously given the wrong stuff!

I've got 2x1gb sticks of Crucial ram, DDR2 PC2-5300E, which is EEC which isn't compatible with my system. I need 2gb in whatever combination of sticks down to 4x512mb in DDR2 PC2-5300 or PC2-6400 non-eec (I believe this would be denoted by a U after the 5300 or 6400)

Anyone happy with a straight swap if you have a system that supports EEC?

Long shot, I know...

• 2 weeks later...

PM/FB Ogre mate. He just bought some he rates pretty highly so he's done more recent research than the rest of the geeks on here. :)

Ok, just eager for decent sound now, fed up of using whatever i could find with an expensive pc...

Spend lots custom building a pc then running out of money for speakers :(

Considered headphones as a temp measure? They're a good thing to have anyway. I have Golding DR50s as recommended by the OCUK forum, and they're immense. £25 posted and I can't fault them. You could get them, then when you've saved up for speakers, you'd still have some top notch headphones for late night sessions. :)

Think I may have some at my Dad's Mike. From memory it's 2x512mb, with a motherboard and 2.4ghz/2.66ghz P4 (non-HT). I'll get the proper specs tomorrow and PM/FB/Text you. :)

that would be cool, I only need the ram though dude - how much do you want?

A 1gb stick was £37 so I was hoping for much less than that lol

Considered headphones as a temp measure? They're a good thing to have anyway. I have Golding DR50s as recommended by the OCUK forum, and they're immense. £25 posted and I can't fault them. You could get them, then when you've saved up for speakers, you'd still have some top notch headphones for late night sessions. :)

Save up? Hehe you make me sound like i'm 12, i've already got some decent headphones and i have some very mediocre speakers, may have sourced a set of logitechs for free!

Thanks for the suggestions though I may look the headphones up anyway mine may be due for replacement.

Might not be the place to ask but I'll give it a go... I've got Virgin Media broadband, the 20mb package and I'm running it through a Netgear wireless router... Now, My internet has been shockingly slow lately! I never used to password protect my router before but I did about 3 weeks ago and only allowed access for a few things such as my laptop, xbox, iphone and sister and brothers laptop and phones... I just did a speed check using speedtest.net and it came back as the following:

Ping: 49ms

Download: 3.44mbps

Upload: 0.38mbps!

My mate seems to think it's a firewall possibly but I've no idea!

Any help/suggestions?

Might not be the place to ask but I'll give it a go... I've got Virgin Media broadband, the 20mb package and I'm running it through a Netgear wireless router... Now, My internet has been shockingly slow lately! I never used to password protect my router before but I did about 3 weeks ago and only allowed access for a few things such as my laptop, xbox, iphone and sister and brothers laptop and phones... I just did a speed check using speedtest.net and it came back as the following:

Ping: 49ms

Download: 3.44mbps

Upload: 0.38mbps!

My mate seems to think it's a firewall possibly but I've no idea!

Any help/suggestions?

Firstly, have you tried just pulling the power to the router for a couple of minutes - it's really not unusual for them to freak out every so often. Usually a reset cures any issue you'll be having.

Firewall is unlikely - especially which such a drop. A firewall will just check and confirm/reject both inbound and outbound packets, however the likelihood of you noticing such a drop is doubtful, particularly if you've not actually reconfigured anything.

Lastly, it could just be a technical issue with your ISP :) In which case it might be worth giving them a call and asking them to check your line.

Was it ever any faster than that?

You could be on the 20mb package, but you can only receive those kind of speeds. We were on 10mb broadband but could only get about 6 as we're so far out of town.

5UP GA11ZZZ, I N33D H3LP PL0X0RZ.

Alas, your native tongue confuses me, but I require your assistance.

I'm trying to connect my XBOX 360 to my PC, and in turn, to XBOX Live, by bridging the Local Area Connection with my Wireless connection.

BUT OH NOES. The LAC isn't there.

So after doing some searching, I found that the 'onboard LAN function' can be disabled in BIOS, and sure enough as I sauntered on over to BIOS, I soon found it had been disabled.

BUT OH NOES! There's no way to enable it. From the standard BIOS menu, I go into 'Integrated Peripherals', which is where the 'onboard LAN function' controls reside, and all the options on the 'Integrated Peripherals' menu are sort of greyed out, there's no option to change any of them, and most other BIOS functions are limited in what I can change.

There's a password to get into BIOS, and the board's a Gigabyte S-Series MA74GMT-S2.

Stupid question - but is the LAN card definately intergrated or it is seperate on a card? The reason I ask is that usually the LAN is enabled by default unless of course it doesn't have one.

Seems strange that you can't enable it though if the above is the case...in which case I would recommend just reinstalling the motherboard drivers firstly; go to the Gigabyte website, search your motherboard and download the drivers for the Ethernet Controller - install and see if that sorts it, if not, post back.