Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

I suggest you sign up to the overclockers.co.uk forum mate and get into the Athlon Overclocking Thread. I could tell you the basics now but they'll know all about the general limits for that chip. I only know about the Phenom IIs, and not very much in general.

Quick google reveals that they need about 1.36v to reach 3.6ghz. But first of all you should lock everything off in the BIOS. Take everything off Auto and set it manually. You don't have an unlocked multiplier so it's not as simple as it is on the Black Edition chips. To overclock them you just have to change two settings. On yours you're going to have to turn up the FSB then turn down all the multipliers.

Got MSN?

It's easy once you've learnt all the shit, but to get started it's tricky, there's a lot to learn.

I would say I'd put a day aside to come do it with you if you wanted, but at the moment I've got way too much on. :(

Just ask on OCUK dude and they Athlon clocking gurus will sort you out. Post details of your full spec too. The motherboard, RAM, PSU etc all play a part in CPU overclocking, and of course the CPU cooler is a big concern.

It's easy once you've learnt all the shit, but to get started it's tricky, there's a lot to learn.

I would say I'd put a day aside to come do it with you if you wanted, but at the moment I've got way too much on. :(

Just ask on OCUK dude and they Athlon clocking gurus will sort you out. Post details of your full spec too. The motherboard, RAM, PSU etc all play a part in CPU overclocking, and of course the CPU cooler is a big concern.

No worries mate :) If you do get a chance though I'd proper appreciate it and a few beers would deffo be in order for the trouble :P

I'll sign up now, cheers :)

WOO!!

We'll see how long it lasts before I return saying "I broke my computahhh :("

I've done a temp test and it's averaging 49 degrees which i've been told my chip shouldn't be at 60 or more degrees so it's all good right?

Before:

screen.jpg

After:

Untitled-1-17.jpg

Edited by dann2707

Lovely stuff mate! What you running the RAM at? Pity you can't be more accurate with the vcore. I suggest you give OCCT a look, you can stress test but it maps the vcore, so you can see how much it droops.

Lovely stuff mate! What you running the RAM at? Pity you can't be more accurate with the vcore. I suggest you give OCCT a look, you can stress test but it maps the vcore, so you can see how much it droops.

I'm not actually sure, had a little problem with it not booting up first time so i've lowered it a little bit and seems all good. Still an absolute noob to this altogether so i've got to be doing soemthing wrong!

Can you upload or link that Star Wars background please :P

Here you go matey

I THINK I may have got a virus yesterday, but im not sure and its annoying me.

Last night my computer started to go reallly reallly slowly, it then crashed and came up with the windows blue screen thing. I then turned it back on and the blue screen came up again after clicking onto google chrome. I then booted in safe mode and deleted all the files and programs I downloaded yesterday and uninstalled chrome. I then left Panda Anti cloud doing a full system scan which didn't appear to find anything. Anyway, it seems ok now (Maybe a tad slow) but after reinstalling chrome it doesnt want to open anything on there. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or am going to have to suffer with IE?

Edit: Im also getting stupid popups for various websites which have to be closed via task manager -.-

Edited by crashbanggg

Try Opera instead, far better browser than Chome IMO.

I use Opera and Firefox mostly now, got all the others installed for testing when doing any development so I've tried them all pretty much. Obviously just my opinion but that's just what I'd recommend. :P

I'm not actually sure, had a little problem with it not booting up first time so i've lowered it a little bit and seems all good. Still an absolute noob to this altogether so i've got to be doing soemthing wrong!

Sounds mega unstable if it isn't booting mate. If it can't run Prime95 for an extended period of time, then it ain't stable really! Some say 2 hours, some say 8. I say at least 12 preferably 18, and I've had crashes after that before.

Just keep an eye on the CPU temp and let it run.

How would I be able to increase air flow and make stuff cooler in my system, the Gfx card runs pretty hot and the whole box is fairly warm, any cheap fans I can plug and play? Where would they be best situated? Do I want to intake or exhaust air?

heres a few pics of the inside. Thanks

2011-02-10234259.jpg

2011-02-10234337.jpg

2011-02-10234354.jpg

2011-02-10234407.jpg

2011-02-10234512.jpg

Try to tidy those cables away a bit to increase air flow and wack an intake fan in the space in the front. That should feed the graphics card enough fresh air.

Got a spare 120mm fan here you can have actually Dan if it fits. It's red so doesn't really fit in with my colour scheme. :P

Try to tidy those cables away a bit to increase air flow and wack an intake fan in the space in the front. That should feed the graphics card enough fresh air.

Got a spare 120mm fan here you can have actually Dan if it fits. It's red so doesn't really fit in with my colour scheme. :P

I'll give that a go now mate cheers.

And ooh that's brilliant, are you in over the weekend? Will bob down if thats cool!

I'm in and out doing valentines stuff wit' lass. Sunday evening I'll be in on my own though, got assignments to be working on, then would be best for me if it suits you?

Just check that your case does take a 120mm in the front, it might only be an 80 or 92.

Edited by Muel

I've moved it into the top bay on the 3.5" section, tidyied the wires up quite a bit. When i get more time i'll move it even further up

2011-02-11155753.jpg

Also, the front panel doesn't come off separately, so not sure i can fit a fan as the whole front panel is as one :( :/

Edited by dann2707

Just a quicky for someone who'll have a better idea than me;

I've just given my laptop a fresh install of Win7. It's got a single 160Gb internal hard drive, in two partitions. One containing the OS and a small amount of software, the other I use for stashing music/films/general storage space.

Looking at both partitions in the standard "Computer" window I apparently have in the region of 87 of 104Gb free, despite there being only 5 gig of stuff on there at the mo.

Where's this other 12Gb or so gone, surely that much won't be taken up by system files and the like?! :P

On the whole drive yes, but when it's partitioned down to have (in this case) 104Gb usable space (ie taking into account the bit that's "missing") and only has 92Gb, it's a little odd ;)

This is on a "160Gb" hard drive, of which 150 is usable. 104 in one partition, which is where the 12 is missing from.