Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Just a quicky for someone who'll have a better idea than me;

I've just given my laptop a fresh install of Win7. It's got a single 160Gb internal hard drive, in two partitions. One containing the OS and a small amount of software, the other I use for stashing music/films/general storage space.

Looking at both partitions in the standard "Computer" window I apparently have in the region of 87 of 104Gb free, despite there being only 5 gig of stuff on there at the mo.

Where's this other 12Gb or so gone, surely that much won't be taken up by system files and the like?! :P

I had this with my drive, it turned out to be a shit load of music and other stuff (downloads etc) in Computer>Local disk (C:)>Windows old>users> (user name)

This was with an upgrade though, So probably doesn't apply.

On another note:

I've just got myself a nice new monitor LG 32LD450 and got a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm running 1920x1080 Resolution and all the writing is choppy, and Watching HD films is definitely NOT HD. Basically it's a really crap picture. Any insight? Drivers, cable, etc?

That's not a monitor, it's a telly. Should be reet but I've heard the picture quality is often not ideal for computer purposes.

Are you certain it's 1080p and not 1080i?

Have you checked you have the latest graphics card drivers installed?

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention it's a tv not a monitor. It is 1080p, yes.

My samsung tv works better than my dell monitor, meh maybe its just me.

New fan has decided to empty my room off dust.. which means i have to clean it! YAY!!!

It was clear its now grey....

How old is the monitor? I'm willing to bet if you compare like with like, (28" at 1080p), that the monitor will win hands down in the pic quality stakes.

Monitor is 2months TV is 8-9months and i prefer the TV hands down.

Running side by side, so its pretty clear, backlight is also much better on the TV.

I got a virus the other day, after some googling it looks to be pretty intense.

It's called 'VBS:ExeDropper-gen and win32:ramnit-b', or something.

Can anyone help me out?

If it ends up with me having to do a fresh install of xp, what's the risk of moving some files over to an external HD while I format my PC, I've got loads of music I want to save, but could it end up taking the virus with it?

Yeh but what are you comparing? A £500 telly will always be better than a £100 monitor.

http://accessories.e...aynote_irrank=0

and

http://www.google.co...d=0CIgBEPMCMAc#

I may just be seeing things though...

edit: Just noticed i linked the wrong samsung but its that kinda thing just a TV.

Quick note the TV was a similar price to the dell when i bought it, not that it matters much now.

Edited by davey1991

Here's a funny one.

My computer has taken a dislike to finishing shutting down, and an interest in being noisier than before.

Speedfan indicates the core temp to be in the 40s.

It also doesn't get on very well with my wireless adaptor. It stopped picking it up from its dedicated usb extension, and now it's stopped picking it up from my other usb extension, but it's fine having it slotted straight into a usb hole on the top.

Damn thing.

Here's a funny one.

My computer has taken a dislike to finishing shutting down, and an interest in being noisier than before.

Speedfan indicates the core temp to be in the 40s.

It also doesn't get on very well with my wireless adaptor. It stopped picking it up from its dedicated usb extension, and now it's stopped picking it up from my other usb extension, but it's fine having it slotted straight into a usb hole on the top.

Damn thing.

Net gear one by chance? Mine did it for a while it used to get very warm then give up trying.

Monitor is in a box on its way for a warranty turns out it could be damage to something internal. (I have no idea about the internals of monitors so i forget what he said.)

On the fan issue, mine got louder as they got older, turned out it was just crap build up, cleaned them and there fine now,

Ubuntu Desktop, 64bit if it'll run. Although to be honest I wouldn't bother with it on it's own, I have semi-moved to Ubuntu several times over the last few years, and have been running it dual boot on my Netbook for nearly a year, always end up going back to W7.

HALP!!

I'm going to upgrade my cpu soon, I'm currently running:

Pentium D 2.66Ghz

2.5GB ram (soon to be 4)

Geforce 8600 GTS overclocked

Windows vista ultimate (possibly windows 7 ultimate 64bit if needs be)

I'm going to upgrade my cpu, to this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160547581585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will this make a noticeable difference at all? (obviously with the extra ram)

Also it says "instruction set 64bit" - does this mean it will perform/need to run on a 64 bit OS ?

64bit processor should work with 32bit OS, but I dont belive you will get full benefits from the 64bit capabilities, 64bit processor and 64bit OS together would be better.

Please get rid of Vista, and run Windows 7. I run windows 7 Ultimate and love it - Vista is evil!

Oh, and I seem to remember that a 32bit OS wont support full 4gb ram, normally only around 3.5gb of the 4gb (or whatever is installed)

Edited by fruitbat

My Acer laptop has about had it, it only starts up now and again and after a quick search on the net it could be a number of things wrong (hard drive, faulty connection, faulty ribbon, etc...) so I'm looking at getting a new one. It's mainly used for browsing the net, itunes (storing the music not listening to it) and editing vids I capture on my Kodak zx1 (in 720p) so can anyone recommend something that would be suitable for just these jobs?

I don't wanna spend a lot of money as we're a bit skint at the moment with lots of things breaking at once but it has to be a laptop of some form or another as we don't have room for a full PC at home currently.

You can just buy the upgrade version of W7 which keeps all the files, settings, profiles, etc, stored on the pc and upgrades everything around them.

Though a clean install of any operating system will always run a lot better than an upgrade but that depends on if you can be bothered backing everything up and re-installing everything from scratch!

Improving on my question I suppose what I really want to know is what is going to be better for video editing in a laptop, fast processor/dual core processor?????